Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, my X doesn't shudder under hard acceleration, but it randomly shudders for a few seconds and more often than not, under deceleration. I really can't figure out when it will happen, though it usually happens at least once or twice every trip. I only have 3700 miles on my 2018 and drive comparatively gently as most of my driving is low speed city driving. Glad to hear they may have a solution. It has only started happening these last couple of months, so I guess I will wait until it is more prevalent since I can't reproduce it for the SC.
It seems everybody else has it under hard acceleration, but would like to hear if anybody else has it like min

Any chance your Lane Departure Warning is on?

So far, my X doesn't shudder under hard acceleration, but it randomly shudders for a few seconds and more often than not, under deceleration. I really can't figure out when it will happen, though it usually happens at least once or twice every trip. I only have 3700 miles on my 2018 and drive comparatively gently as most of my driving is low speed city driving. Glad to hear they may have a solution. It has only started happening these last couple of months, so I guess I will wait until it is more prevalent since I can't reproduce it for the SC.
It seems everybody else has it under hard acceleration, but would like to hear if anybody else has it like mine.

Check "Controls - Autopilot - Lane Departure Warning". When selected, it causes about a one second steering wheel judder that can seem sporadic. Try switching it on/off and see if the problem goes away. Worked for me.

A0186624-0BD1-4498-A3E8-5FEFC02498C1.jpeg

We had a wheel alignment performed at 25K miles and the shudder became worse. Our service center did not say this was a permanent fix but more of an improvement. Will see when we get it back.

Any chance your Lane Departure Warning is on?
Brian, Sorry to be redundant, I didn't mean to duplicate your reply to Nobleman. My message sat unposted while I went to the garage and noticed that 2019.16.2 was FINALLY available to install on my M3!!! When I got back I posted my reply and only then noticed your post.

I drove around for a few weeks with a very slight steering judder that seemed to pop up at random. It felt like the annoying haptic feedback option on an Android phone. Took me a while to realize that it was simply a safety feature. It's off now.

A745E44D-29FF-42B4-BDD5-90CA363D231C.jpeg

So... our Dec 2017 build MX100D is back from the San Diego Service Center. We drove it up to LA over the weekend to confirm repairs. I can honestly say that the shudder is completely gone at all suspension ride heights now. Our service advisor cautioned against calling it a permanent fix.. its an improved half shaft design that has shown greater success and longevity. Time will tell if its a permanent fix but it sure is nice to stomp on the pedal and accelerate smoothly without shaking apart in the 40-50mph band. Sitting pretty satisfied right now and hope it stays that way. Thanks to the service team for always taking care of us!

Last edited:
Here are the SCs notes about my shudder. Note they did not have the parts to fix so I need to make another appointment. Motor mount is key?

View attachment 413690
Had my X test drove 2 weeks ago at Quebec City SC and they told me that a new motor mount should soon be available to solve the shudder issue but it is in production and they dont have part number yet.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and Cowby
Had my X test drove 2 weeks ago at Quebec City SC and they told me that a new motor mount should soon be available to solve the shudder issue but it is in production and they dont have part number yet.

Believe it only when it happens...this seems to be the standard response about this issue from the SC!

Elon says they have 10 months to increase vehicle deliveries, so let's hope the company survives (or even if bought by some other bigger company, hope they continue support for existing vehicles)! He needs to let business professionals run the company while he can be in a different role that satisfies his intellectual curiosities, ego and twitter urges without running the company to the ground.

Elon has tried many times to turn over control to so called Industry Experts. They all seem to want to revert to the old ways, and Elon has a different vision of what needs to be done. It the expert fails, Elon has often needed to take back control and get the company back on schedule. None of these experts have been able to provide a solution to the shudder.

He did not say they only have 10 months to increase vehicle deliveries. He did say, at their current burn rate they would work through that last raise of funds in 10 months. He immediately instituded cost controls to make the company more efficient. Also decided to restructure the Fremont plant to make the Model 3 along with the similar Model Y. Will save tremendous costs making them both in the same facility.

This will make the $ last longer and also be more profitable.

Elon and Franz designed the Model S in a back corner of a Space X warehouse. They did a fantastic job. One issue that came of that birth was that those cars, when equipped with dual motors would shudder under hard acceleration (original design only had rear motor). It got worse the higher the car was raised. They have been working on a fix for years, but have not been able to totally eliminate it. Believe it is inherent in their design.

They have just released a new adjustable suspension, and perhaps that will be a solution for going forward. They are also in development of a new design motor mount that may be the solution for their existing fleet.

To me, they are doing remarkable work, and in good Faith. I am sure that if any industry professional could come up with a solution for the shudder I believe Elon would hire them on the spot and move forward.

Elon has tried many times to turn over control to so called Industry Experts. They all seem to want to revert to the old ways, and Elon has a different vision of what needs to be done. It the expert fails, Elon has often needed to take back control and get the company back on schedule. None of these experts have been able to provide a solution to the shudder.

He did not say they only have 10 months to increase vehicle deliveries. He did say, at their current burn rate they would work through that last raise of funds in 10 months. He immediately instituded cost controls to make the company more efficient. Also decided to restructure the Fremont plant to make the Model 3 along with the similar Model Y. Will save tremendous costs making them both in the same facility.

This will make the $ last longer and also be more profitable.

Elon and Franz designed the Model S in a back corner of a Space X warehouse. They did a fantastic job. One issue that came of that birth was that those cars, when equipped with dual motors would shudder under hard acceleration (original design only had rear motor). It got worse the higher the car was raised. They have been working on a fix for years, but have not been able to totally eliminate it. Believe it is inherent in their design.

They have just released a new adjustable suspension, and perhaps that will be a solution for going forward. They are also in development of a new design motor mount that may be the solution for their existing fleet.

To me, they are doing remarkable work, and in good Faith. I am sure that if any industry professional could come up with a solution for the shudder I believe Elon would hire them on the spot and move forward.

Blind faith, I had it once upon a time and I still am a TSLA stock holder, but he is going to run the company into the ground if he doesn’t step aside and let the business professionals run the company. No one is doubting Elon’s genius or intentions.

Blind faith, I had it once upon a time and I still am a TSLA stock holder, but he is going to run the company into the ground if he doesn’t step aside and let the business professionals run the company. No one is doubting Elon’s genius or intentions.
You're braver than I am. I have never been a shareholder - I can't make sense of that side of this business, despite having been a broker and owning a proprietary BD for years.

Reactions: losangeles