Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be a good theory if it weren't for the fact that someone did get the new motor mount with the new Rev D. half shafts to fix the shudder problem on an old (non-Raven) Model X. I checked with my SC about the new motor mount parts and they confirmed it's a new revision but they said they are only replacing those in extreme cases and that my car should be fine with the new Rev D. half shafts.

View attachment 419865

Looks like you also had the motor mount replaced as well, not just the d revision half shafts. Any shudder since the repair? I’m looking at an appointment for this in a couple weeks.

This is what was done to my 2018 X. I think the shudder still is there a bit. I have to drive it more.

View attachment 431337

I posted the invoice in a previous post.

Looking at your invoice again, the SC used the incorrect part numbers (comparing to the posted TSB) for at least the Clevis motor mount and the half shafts. Why are they using revision B half shafts? I would bring that up with the SC.

Reactions: Michelx
I’m scheduled for the repair in a couple weeks. Here are the notes for what they ordered. Looks in line with the updated service bulletin from 19 JUN.

AF1209CD-7283-4965-899B-74402EF36CCA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and forkee
What is the part number for the new motor mount?. I haven't seen the new part number or what version it is. I have an appointment to have the work done and want to make certain that it is done correctly. Also once the repair its done I heard they do an alignment as well. Is this true as well?. I am close to 50k and want it done correctly.

What is the part number for the new motor mount?. I haven't seen the new part number or what version it is. I have an appointment to have the work done and want to make certain that it is done correctly. Also once the repair its done I heard they do an alignment as well. Is this true as well?. I am close to 50k and want it done correctly.

It’s listed in my screen shot right above. CLVS assembly. I compared part numbers with the revised service bulletin and they are all correct.

Someone else posted the revised service bulletin, I don’t remember seeing mention of a full alignment. I think it was a few pages before, would recommend finding it and reading it over.

I’m scheduled for the repair in a couple weeks. Here are the notes for what they ordered. Looks in line with the updated service bulletin from 19 JUN.

View attachment 434620
I'm supposed to have this work done this coming Friday, including the new mount. We'll see if they get the part in for it (I've already been bumped a week due to parts availability).

I have an appointment next Friday to do my 2nd year maintenance and the updated service bulletin done. But was told even with the updated mount they can't guarantee the shuddering won't come back in the future.

So it's weird, my service estimate had only the Rev D halfshafts on it, but the final invoice (as per the document they showed me at the service center), the full bulletin was completed.

Let's see if it returns. Hopefully not.

I'm supposed to have this work done this coming Friday, including the new mount. We'll see if they get the part in for it (I've already been bumped a week due to parts availability).

Awesome best of luck!

I have an appointment next Friday to do my 2nd year maintenance and the updated service bulletin done. But was told even with the updated mount they can't guarantee the shuddering won't come back in the future.

Fingers crossed this does the trick. I don't want to be afraid to accelerate anymore. : )

Reactions: ckwong
I took my 2016 X P90DL (46K miles) into the service center last week for other issues, but also decided to tack on the acceleration shudder. The service center (San Francisco) looked at me like I was crazy and acted like they had no idea what that term meant. They requested I show them the problem on a ride along, which I did, and they agreed it was "really bad".

Fast forward to picking up the car a week later, they tried to charge me $195 for a general diagnostic of the acceleration shudder, since they decided the shudder was being caused by the tires needing a rotation, not because of Tesla's infamous acceleration shudder. FYI-- I just purchased this Model X two weeks prior from Tesla used, so I'm not sure why this issue (and a handful of others) were not fixed before I picked up the car (LOL 70 point inspection).

Long story short, the acceleration shudder is gone after they did a tire rotation. TBD if it comes back...

Long story short, the acceleration shudder is gone after they did a tire rotation. TBD if it comes back...

Not entirely sure this is the 'dreaded shudder' as discussed in this thread. In my case, there is zero chance that tire rotation would even affect the shudder, as the shudder listed in this thread is not 'tire related'. (known fact in my case, because I've rotated my tires and the shudder is unchanged)

Was your shudder evident during medium-to-hard acceleration? Or evident at higher speeds? Just curious.

Regardless... crossing fingers that you continue to be 'shudder' free! :D

Not entirely sure this is the 'dreaded shudder' as discussed in this thread. In my case, there is zero chance that tire rotation would even affect the shudder, as the shudder listed in this thread is not 'tire related'. (known fact in my case, because I've rotated my tires and the shudder is unchanged)

Was your shudder evident during medium-to-hard acceleration? Or evident at higher speeds? Just curious.

Regardless... crossing fingers that you continue to be 'shudder' free! :D

The shudder occurred during a hard acceleration when completely stopped or going very slow. It was not evident at constant high speeds like a tire issue would be. For example, the steering wheel did not shake or rattle like I've experienced in other cars with a tire balance issue. The shudder seemed to be coming from underneath the middle of the front of the car. In any event, hoping the "shudder" or whatever it was, stays away!

Question- Is there confirmation that the "shudder issue" is actually fixable? Debating whether I'd consider an older used MX '16/'17, but don't want to pay out of pocket if can be covered under warranty.
Not yet, at least not that I have seen discussed here. Hasn’t been long enough since this last clevis bit. Need at about 10k miles on the new half shafts.

The shudder occurred during a hard acceleration when completely stopped or going very slow. It was not evident at constant high speeds like a tire issue would be. For example, the steering wheel did not shake or rattle like I've experienced in other cars with a tire balance issue. The shudder seemed to be coming from underneath the middle of the front of the car. In any event, hoping the "shudder" or whatever it was, stays away!

That certainly sounds like the typical shudder... I'm really interested in the tire rotation!! When I rotated my tires... I swapped front to back, keeping the tires on the same side of the car. Any chance Tesla (or whomever) performed a different rotation?

At this point, I would happily try anything! :(