Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question- Is there confirmation that the "shudder issue" is actually fixable? Debating whether I'd consider an older used MX '16/'17, but don't want to pay out of pocket if can be covered under warranty.

I've had the problem since my car was new. The most recent fix (D half shafts AND the motor mount or clevis) absolutely and completely fixed it for me.

That certainly sounds like the typical shudder... I'm really interested in the tire rotation!! When I rotated my tires... I swapped front to back, keeping the tires on the same side of the car. Any chance Tesla (or whomever) performed a different rotation?
At this point, I would happily try anything! :(

I was always told It is not possible to rotate the tires on a model X because the front and rear tires are different sizes. The rears are bigger and will not fit in front without possible damage.

I've had the problem since my car was new. The most recent fix (D half shafts AND the motor mount or clevis) absolutely and completely fixed it for me.

Hell yeah. If I remember right they were limited a small amount of power to reduce the shudder effect, if that’s true and after hardware changes wonder if we can get that back. :)

I took my 2016 X P90DL (46K miles) into the service center last week for other issues, but also decided to tack on the acceleration shudder. The service center (San Francisco) looked at me like I was crazy and acted like they had no idea what that term meant. They requested I show them the problem on a ride along, which I did, and they agreed it was "really bad".

Fast forward to picking up the car a week later, they tried to charge me $195 for a general diagnostic of the acceleration shudder, since they decided the shudder was being caused by the tires needing a rotation, not because of Tesla's infamous acceleration shudder. FYI-- I just purchased this Model X two weeks prior from Tesla used, so I'm not sure why this issue (and a handful of others) were not fixed before I picked up the car (LOL 70 point inspection).

Long story short, the acceleration shudder is gone after they did a tire rotation. TBD if it comes back...

Yeah, thats not going to fix it. Also, I don't think they can charge you for TSB work. Go to a different SC and try again.

Mobile service here today so I picked his brain a bit. He said the new motor mount part has slightly thicker rubber but is otherwise the same as the previous version. The revision D half shafts are key and intended to be permanent fix for the shudder. I got the new revision D half shafts a couple months ago and was concerned that I didn't get the new motor mount too, but he said I'll be fine with just the new half shafts.

I was always told It is not possible to rotate the tires on a model X because the front and rear tires are different sizes. The rears are bigger and will not fit in front without possible damage.
You were told correct-ish. It is not advisable, as the rear tires are wider, and I believe a tire size calculator will show you that they have a different circumference as well. However, I do not know if it could cause damage (I agree that it could in theory, but that doesn't mean that it could in practice), and there is no physical difference in the hardware that would prevent someone from rotating them that way if they didn't know better.

You were told correct-ish. It is not advisable, as the rear tires are wider, and I believe a tire size calculator will show you that they have a different circumference as well. However, I do not know if it could cause damage (I agree that it could in theory, but that doesn't mean that it could in practice), and there is no physical difference in the hardware that would prevent someone from rotating them that way if they didn't know better.

So does it mean one is not supposed rotate the tires on a X? or only swap left to right?

So does it mean one is not supposed rotate the tires on a X? or only swap left to right?
In addition to the post above mine, it depends. For instance, if the tires have a set rotation direction, then swapping left/right would require dismount and remount. This isn't impossible by any means, but I don't know if it's commonly done, either (even if wear is detected)).

In addition to the post above mine, it depends. For instance, if the tires have a set rotation direction, then swapping left/right would require dismount and remount. This isn't impossible by any means, but I don't know if it's commonly done, either (even if wear is detected)).

Good point. So have to take it to Tesla service for rotation or Americas Tire etc is fine and they will evaluate and confirm.

It means the former. Do not rotate the tires on an X.

Quote from the owners manual:
Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment
Model X tires cannot be rotated, as tires are
asymmetrical and front tires are a different
size from rear tires.
That's kinda funny. Not all asymmetrical tires are directional, and Tesla has had multiple OEM flavors over time, so they may not even all be asymmetrical, much less directional.
Good point. So have to take it to Tesla service for rotation or Americas Tire etc is fine and they will evaluate and confirm.
If the manual says not to, the service center probably won't. A tire store might, especially if they aren't directional, but a lot of people believe that rotating from one side to the other (without dismount and remount for directional rotation) will cause slipped belts in radial tires.

Mine has Ludicrous Mode. It’s front axles have been replaced. Tesla broke a motor mount on a test drive. It was replaced. It did not fix the problem. I was warned to only have the suspension in Low or Very Low even for a moderate acceleration. Note that the Owners Manual says to do that for a Launch, and nowhere else. Even in Low with normal acceleration the shudder is mild. I had it in High during a hard rain and the shudder was pronounced with normal acceleration. As I said in another post, this was a bad engineering trade to get a softer ride.

Just picked up my Sept '17 X100D from the service center and the shudder is gone (limited testing - 20 miles or so drive home and only a couple of launches). This is my third half-shaft replacement in my 23 months / 52k miles of ownership. The first two service visits had the original revision half shaft replacements only, and it did solve the problem... for a while. So only time will tell if the newer rev half shafts and the addition of the clevis mount will solve the problem long term. I'm a glass if half-full person so....

The work was done under an extended service agreement which I purchased just as a broke 50k miles two months ago. They comped the $200 deductible so it didn't cost anything to repair. I didn't ask for the comp, but would have if they had asked for payment since this shudder predated 50k original warranty limit.

Here's the text from the service invoice:

Concern: Customer States: Looking to have warranty repair of acceleration shudder done per SB-19-39-001
(https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf) if you have the parts available.
Technician removed and replaced front half shafts and all related hardware. Test drove and verified no shudder or
vibration present.

Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And
Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
NUT HF M10x1.25 PC10 PTP COLORED(2007090-00-C) 2.0
NUT HF M14x2.00 [10]-G720(2007073) 2.0
BOLT HF M14x102 PC109(1056323-00-A) 2.0
NUT PLATE ASSY,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055663-00-A) 1.0
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-
H)
FRGD CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F
(1055366-00-F)
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) 1.0
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A) 2.0
WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B) 2.0
BOLT HF M14x2.00x50 DP [10.9] ZnAl-W(1009169-00-A) 2.0
BOLT HF M8x30 PC109 ADH MAT(1008722-00-A) 4.0
NUT HFPT M14-2.00 [10] ZnNi-W(1004356-00-B) 2.0
NUT HF M10x1.50 [10] ZnAl-W(1004351-00-A) 2.0
BLT BTNHD M10x1.50x57 [10.9] ZnAl-W(1004350-00-A) 2.0

That's kinda funny. Not all asymmetrical tires are directional, and Tesla has had multiple OEM flavors over time, so they may not even all be asymmetrical, much less directional.
If the manual says not to, the service center probably won't. A tire store might, especially if they aren't directional, but a lot of people believe that rotating from one side to the other (without dismount and remount for directional rotation) will cause slipped belts in radial tires.
None of the OE tires that I'm aware of have been directional, only asymmetrical. Slipped belts in radials aren't a thing anymore. Mine were worn 1/32 more on one side than the other so I rotated side to side and replaced them 5-6k miles later with even tread wear. There's no benefit to rotating side to side unless they're uneven and it won't do anything to help uneven wear on the tire itself, since the inner edge is still the inner regardless of which side it's on. No idea why one side was worn more than the other, guess I was cornering hard in only one direction...