Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B25A8C70-66D8-458C-8803-DB3DE78A1B45.jpeg

Had the revised clivus mount installed today, a retro act after service center did the revised halfshafts about 3 weeks ago. Definitely nice and smooth, still need to launch a few more times, especially with a slight uphill bend in the road to feel it out. I think part of my problem is that I’m also comparing to our model 3 which feels as smooth as butter. Think I’m just being too type A but at least now I can rest assured all parts are in as I enter the post warranty period.

Reactions: TechVP
Had the revised clivus mount installed today, a retro act after service center did the revised halfshafts about 3 weeks ago. Definitely nice and smooth, still need to launch a few more times, especially with a slight uphill bend in the road to feel it out. I think part of my problem is that I’m also comparing to our model 3 which feels as smooth as butter. Think I’m just being too type A but at least now I can rest assured all parts are in as I enter the post warranty period.

I just got a message that they’re replacing the front drive unit too. Typo??

68E7E079-CC5F-44A3-B4AF-601F58566AD1.jpeg

Reactions: Bogobec
I've had amazing service at the Salt Lake City Service Center; I had previously expressed interest in getting my shudder fixed (Months ago) and they said there would be a fix out soon. They called me a month ago saying they had the new fix and parts available. THEY CALLED ME! My X was at a body shop because a 16 year old kid rear ended the bumper so I couldn't take it right then, but I had it done finally this week (They gave me a loaner Performance Model S). So great experience with service center there over the last two years.

Shudder is completely gone (hopefully for good) feels like a brand new car! It definitely is too bad that I've had to baby the cars acceleration for the last year or switch into "low" every time I want to accelerate nicely. But hopefully those days are over and I can use this car like its meant to be driven at will.

Didn’t get the HW3 ul
I just got a message that they’re replacing the front drive unit too. Typo??

View attachment 454389

Nice, take it. I’ve heard others get the front motor replaced as well which appears to fix the issue if it wasn’t fixed with the revised halfshafts and clivus mount.

So far car is pretty smooth. No more odd spring sound when accelerating quickly. Guess time will tell. Now just to get in line for that HW3 retrofit.

Reactions: Lhshockey24
Just got my 04/17 car back after dropping it off yesterday. My car was the first one they did at the Fresno SC.

Before: Steering wheel swaying side to side, had to hold on tight. Seats were shaking.
After: I do feel a slight steering wheel shudder under heavy acceleration still, but much improved. My 12/18 MX has no shudder of any sort.

Based on posts on this thread, as well as my own experience, some service centers are not following the instructions in the service bulletin, and are installing older parts. My car got the latest clevis mount, but older half shafts.

My advice is to bring the printed service bulletin with you.

View attachment 444852

I had halfshafts and clevis mount done on Sep 30 at Denver Evans location. They used the "B" revision. I had sent them the SB. What is the issue with revision B or D?

Concern: Customer States: axle vibration replacement
Replaced both front half shafts and clevis mount. Corrected drive unit fluid.
Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And
Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-
H)

HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-B) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-B) 1.0

Mine was done 9/24 With D half-shafts. While it is proper to use the latest I honestly do not think it will matter since the shaft wear was due to the motor movement which is fixed (we hope) by the clevis redesign.

BOLT,TE,M10X1.5x48[10.9] U-ZNNI-MP CW(1137112-00- 2.0
A)
BOLT,HF,M10x35,STL[109],ZNFL,ADH,PIL(1064997-00-A) 4.0
NUT PLATE ASSY,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055663-00-A) 2.0
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00- 1.0 H)
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) 1.0 HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) 1.0 BLT BTNHD M10x1.50x57 [10.9] ZnAl-W(1004350-00-A)

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
Not too sure about that. The information I got from a few different techs was that the real issue was the halfshafts and that specifically the D revision was the newly engineered part.

The clevis mount helps as well, but not the issue in most cars. I had both done at different times, still have a bit of shudder at high load I’ve noticed. Not sure what else is the issue but decided I will live with it.

• Informative
Not too sure about that. The information I got from a few different techs was that the real issue was the halfshafts and that specifically the D revision was the newly engineered part.

The clevis mount helps as well, but not the issue in most cars. I had both done at different times, still have a bit of shudder at high load I’ve noticed. Not sure what else is the issue but decided I will live with it.

I have all the new parts and the clevis, but I also still have some shudder under heavy load, uphill acceleration etc. not sure if I can live with it yet, I think I’ll have to bring it up yet again on my next visit to the service center.

I have all the new parts and the clevis, but I also still have some shudder under heavy load, uphill acceleration etc. not sure if I can live with it yet, I think I’ll have to bring it up yet again on my next visit to the service center.

haha best of luck. Only other thought I’ve heard some others do is to get the front motor replaced. I’m out of warranty now so I’ll ask politely at my next visit but best of luck to you!

I suspect (maybe just paranoid) that my 9/19 built LR X has the shudder.
It's a suttle vibration during acceleration, that makes me think this is the "shudder" vs smooth acceleration compared to my Dual Motor LR Model 3 driving on the same road.

Any one here with late model 2019 got confirmed/repaired shudder?

It's a suttle vibration during acceleration, that makes me think this is the "shudder" vs smooth acceleration compared to my Dual Motor LR Model 3 driving on the same road.

Does it get worse when you raise the car to Standard and accelerate hard?

is that the raven, if so my understanding is that you should have it. Should have revised parts. That said, don’t think the x will ever be as smooth as the 3. I think that’s my problem as well comparing both side by side. I’ve mentioned before, I think I’m just too type A.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Yep. My service center in Tucson changed an “engine mount” which is much stiffer and the shafts.

After, much smoother. Any vibration is imperceptible and whatever may be there is likely me thinking something is there. Definitely a 99% improvement.

So,I think most service centers know about this, so good luck!

Is everyone on the forums with this issue only having it with later models - specifically, with the old half shafts?

I picked up my 2019 Model X early September. From day 1 it had a shudder in the steering wheel from 70mph+. In some cases, can feel at lower speeds.

1. Car is now at shop for the 4th time. It's been there for 2 weeks. Supposed to be ready tomorrow. Even though the half shafts that were already on the X were apparently the updated half shafts - they replaced anyways.

2. 3rd trip, moment I showed up I was turned away that they were too busy.

Previous 2 trips useless. I don't understand. Does Tesla think lemon laws don't apply to them? Paying almost $1,300 a month with a beat up loaner X in my garage. I don't understand.

From day 1 it had a shudder in the steering wheel from 70mph+. In some cases, can feel at lower speeds.
I'm sorry for your problems. Yours is a different issue than we're discussing in this thread. The shudder that we're discussing, with a remedy, is upon acceleration from low speed. It is not something that exists at constant speeds, or is reproducible at higher speed.

I hope you can resolve what you're experiencing. It sounds more like alignment or wheel balance, but I'm sure that's been checked. Perhaps search around on the forum for other problems that sound similar, or post a new thread. Good luck.

Reactions: Bogobec and VikH