Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told last Friday car was ready Friday, but lead tech had to drive it. Was told Monday would be ready. That turned into Tuesday.

Tuesday I pick up the Model X - was told half shafts were replaced as a "just in case." Also, apparently they replaced front passenger wheel and tire. On top of back wheel because the tech apparently curbed it while was in service.

Long story short, pull out - as soon as give the Model X power car cut to the right like crazy. Went back, tech tells me it's torque steer which immediately I said absolutely not. Drove another Model X on the lot and nothing like mine. Cut to 4 hours later, am told alignment was done while I stood by but still pulls to right and they have to keep it longer.

Will be coming up on 3 weeks Tuesday without a brand new Model X I just picked up in early September. No one gets back to me, and no one apparently cares.

Worst car choice I ever made was getting into a Model X.

Despite all the people who argue that newer Tesla’s are free from the myriad of issues from 2016 X’s or earlier S’s, obviously that’s not the case.

And I’ve learned to only buy used Tesla’s so that the original owners have worked out all the kinks.
I can’t imagine being without our daily cars for weeks/months every year.

Do you work for Tesla?

What a bunch of bull. I’ve never had an ICE or Tesla (both X and S), or loaner X that made any “normal” clicking sound when turning.

Lol. Oh man.

Edit: Well, if you have the sound and think it is normal, then happy driving I guess.

Not sure why you are calling "BS". Do a search and you will find countless threads of people complaining about clicking noises when turning. Obviously these sounds are not normal, but they are common.

That clicking sound is normal.

Not sure why you are calling "BS". Do a search and you will find countless threads of people complaining about clicking noises when turning. Obviously these sounds are not normal, but they are common.

I called “BS” on the fact that you previously stated the sound is normal.
Do a lot of people get this clicking sound? I haven’t followed it since I don’t have it.
But, as you now say, that kind of sound should not be normal. I don’t care if Tesla points to another car that has it. Tesla should do whatever it takes to correct it. It’d bug the heck out of me, regardless of whether it was happening on a $20K car or $100k car.

Me, reading through this thread while waiting on MX order...
upload_2019-10-21_13-29-31.png

My only hope is that those are very few cases from many thousands of model X cars sold...

Reactions: Billstickers
just had my half shafts replaced for dreaded shudder, and alf shafts had the clicking noise more pronounced when reversing or coming out of a parking spot.
"Road tested vehicle and confirmed customer's concern. Strong shaking/shudder under acceleration. Removed and
replaced front halfshafts and clevis mount/support as procedure. Road tested vehicle after repairs were performed and
confirmed shudder is no longer present. No further actions require."
"Technician found clicking sound coming from internal failure in aftlinks.
Removed and replaced aftlinks. Road tested vehicle after repairs and confirmed clicking sound is no longer present."

I made my appointment with Tesla for our 2018 Model X via the app to service a list of items including this dreaded shudder. The service estimate came back via email and for checking the shudder it was listed as $97.50 and ‘customer pay’ whereas the only item listed as ‘good will service’ was checking of the tire pressure. Is this right?

Maybe they want to charge you to take the time to make sure the problem exists. Typically if they do the repair they do not charge for the diagnosis. Best to clarify beforehand that they will waive that charge. Also if they are only planning on diagnosis at that visit you may have to reschedule for the repair once the parts are available.
We can check tire pressures while sitting in the car, why do they even list that a chargeable?

So I just had this service done and they replaced the halfshafts and jackshaft. No mention of clevis mounts being replaced, even though I mentioned it when I dropped it off. Hopefully this repair holds.

Very odd, am pretty sure you need new motor mount otherwise it'll just reoccur. I just had this done, service centre had to wait 4 weeks for the motor mount - but I am in the UK so parts always take longer.

48985954643_eb90c78138_c_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Very odd, am pretty sure you need new motor mount otherwise it'll just reoccur. I just had this done, service centre had to wait 4 weeks for the motor mount - but I am in the UK so parts always take longer.

48985954643_eb90c78138_c_d.jpg

First of all I would like to thank this amazing community. The amount of knowledge and understanding I have gathered here on my car is just crazy. :)

I just dropped my model X this morning to have those three parts replaced. I insisted on the motor mount and they acknowledged it. Although they kept telling me that this was not really an issue but more the way people use the car. Balbla. Even when I told them that it also happen on low etc. but they are going to replace all anyway because they know it’s an issue but not a defect?

I got an old model S as loaner. Damn I love my X :p

I’ll keep you posted on how it feels afterwards.

Thanks!

Reactions: jgrgnt and Tberk
Had service on our 2018 X (~15K mi) completed a week ago. They replaced both front halfshafts and only the LH front drive unit clevis mount. I haven't pushed it hard on high suspension or anything but I am happy to report the shudder and clicking Is resolved. So far so good!