Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Groningen Service Center (Netherlands) has done an amazing job. :)

Already in the first week I discovered the dreaded acceleration shudder in my Model X 100D (april 2018) and I hated it. A car this expensive should not have such a fault. The Groningen SC acknowledged the shudder during a test drive but declined to fix it since this would be only temporary, as many of you have written about in this thread. During later visits I kept asking for a permanent fix and I was told they would probably be able to get one late 2019. I also got the privilege of driving an X loaner without the shudder for a few days, what a difference!

On this forum I found the link to the Service Bulletin with the permanent fix (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf), thanks guys! I immediately requested it to be done on my car. They performed it two weeks ago and all shudder is gone.

Big thumbs up for the guys in Groningen.

The improvements are incredible, though granted this issue is a defect. I’ve had this fix done recently and this is the best my car has ever performed, ever. There have been legitimate improvements in the software leading to improved performance as well.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
Hi, I am expecting my Model X soon. Do recent vehicles still suffer from the dreaded shudder?
According to the Service Bulletin found in post #601, it only applies to vehicles made approx. before May 15, 2019.
My 04-2017 had the shudder, was fixed by the SB.
My 11-2018 does not have the shudder. So even if the vehicle is made before May 15, 2019, it doesn't mean the vehicle is affected.

Last edited:
I was told by my service rep that they will be replacing both the Front Axles and the front Clevis Assembly to remove the shudder.

They are also replacing the Passenger Front Control Arm to remove the clicking noise while turning the steering.

Lets see how this works out (2018 MX).

You have a late 2019 and already have 7k miles? Nice.

On another note this is disappointing because I thought Tesla fixed this issue with Raven models...
Picked up the car end of July. It is very disappointing I was thinking the same. This morning I was thinking maybe because it’s cold out it’s making noise but that’s not the case. I’m planning on making a sc appointment after the holidays and see how it goes.

So I punched it in traffic to get over two lanes and the whole car thunked shudder-like noise up front but there was no actually 'shuddering' in the drive train. My car is a July 2019 date. Is that the shudder or is that another feature?

Are you sure it's not torque steer? Raven's have a lot of power and torque going to the front wheels.

Finally got the invoice. It's been almost a month. The car still drives really smooth :)

upload_2019-12-3_16-47-12.png

Reactions: Seattle Tom
Mine is in today for the (hopefully permanent) shudder fix. Previously, they've replaced the 1/2 shafts four separate times now each lasting about 6 months before the shudder starts again (and the entire front drive unit once). I'm also having the air suspension shocks (left one at the moment) making a rattling sound over small road imperfections. Both were replaced two years ago for the same problem. Let's hope this 1/2 shaft / clevis mount fixes the shudder problem and maybe they will figure out why the air suspension shocks only last about 2 years before they start to rattle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yoitskenn