Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darn. So I guess this isn't really a permanent fix. Oh well. As long as they keep replacing the half shafts I'm ok with it.

It’s disappointing to say the least for owners, because once you are out of warranty the repair is at least $2500 if I remember correctly. At least in my case, I am selling the car back to Tesla on Monday so it will unfortunately be the next owners issue.

It’s disappointing to say the least for owners, because once you are out of warranty the repair is at least $2500 if I remember correctly. At least in my case, I am selling the car back to Tesla on Monday so it will unfortunately be the next owners issue.
It will be pretty hard for Tesla to deny fixing them out of warranty if this new fix isn't permanent as one can easily show multiple repairs for the same issue during the warranty period. Also, the fix is listed on the NTSB website so it's now public record that this is a defect.

So I put the car in Standard suspension for the first time in a while. With hard acceleration in Standard suspension, I hear a grinding noise (different from shudder). I did not have this prior to having the TSB done. Anyone else have the same issue? I assume its related to the half-shafts.

Note for the previous TSB work, they installed one revision D half shaft and the other revision B (they said the half shafts are the same :) ). So technically they didn't do the full TSB.

So I put the car in Standard suspension for the first time in a while. With hard acceleration in Standard suspension, I hear a grinding noise (different from shudder). I did not have this prior to having the TSB done. Anyone else have the same issue? I assume its related to the half-shafts.

Note for the previous TSB work, they installed one revision D half shaft and the other revision B (they said the half shafts are the same :) ). So technically they didn't do the full TSB.
I've had shafts changed twice. Not since TSB came out. Second time car was super smooth after change, bit has bad grinding noise.
Will have changed again in Feb.

Add me to the list, 9900 miles on my March 2018, slight shudder in low, while on standard it’s there along with grinding...appoint is set for 12/26

I had my car serviced late September (P90DLX):

The following parts were replaced
NUT PLATE ASSY,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055663-00-A) x1
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-H) x 1
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) x 1
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) x 1
BLT BTNHD M10x1.50x57 [10.9] ZnAl-W(1004350-00-A) x2

I've had it in Standard and Low and launched it about 20 times since then, with no shudder at all. Hoping it never comes back, as the car is like a brand new car again.

I had my car serviced late September (P90DLX):

The following parts were replaced
NUT PLATE ASSY,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055663-00-A) x1
BLT BTNHD M10x1.50x57 [10.9] ZnAl-W(1004350-00-A) x2

I've had it in Standard and Low and launched it about 20 times since then, with no shudder at all. Hoping it never comes back, as the car is like a brand new car again.

It'll come back. Had the same repair, full tsb in September. Have put 12,000 miles on my P100 since then and it's starting to show again. Mines always set to low. Albeit, the solution lasted longer this time, but it's by no means permanent. This was my second shudder fix.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and VikH

I'd taken my car in just before the 1yr anniversary to have the shudder issue looked at. I had it from the first few days of delivery and wanted to get the report into them before the 1yr was up.

They brought it in and replaced some other part, not the clevis or half-shafts. The part they replaced was:

"Passive air spring module, front, mx(1027361-00-G)" x2.

I thought. "OK, let's give this a try" and on the way home I clearly still had the shudder problem. So when I got home I opened another service ticket reporting problem not resolved.

When I went in to speak with the tech, I mentioned the service bulletin and the clevis mount. He seemed surprised they didn't replace that the last time. This time they performed the corrections on the service bulletin and the part numbers you've quoted were the ones they replaced for me.

Gave things a try on the way home and so far so good. No shudder!

I'd taken my car in just before the 1yr anniversary to have the shudder issue looked at. I had it from the first few days of delivery and wanted to get the report into them before the 1yr was up.

They brought it in and replaced some other part, not the clevis or half-shafts. The part they replaced was:

I thought. "OK, let's give this a try" and on the way home I clearly still had the shudder problem. So when I got home I opened another service ticket reporting problem not resolved.

When I went in to speak with the tech, I mentioned the service bulletin and the clevis mount. He seemed surprised they didn't replace that the last time. This time they performed the corrections on the service bulletin and the part numbers you've quoted were the ones they replaced for me.

How many miles and what year/model is your car?

So what's the long term impact if there isn't an actual permanent fix. Is it essentially every ~15K you'll have to drop $2.5K, or alternatively just live with the shudder? Will the shudder cause any longer term issues or potential safety risks? If not, is it annoying enough to justify the $2.5K outside of warranty, or would most here just deal with it?

I talked with the ranger when he came out to my house yesterday for some repairs. He said the new fix takes care of the shudder 100%. they've done several in town with great results so he ordered the parts for me and I should be going in next week to get it done. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a July build 2019 Raven Performance MX and the Shudder started at 8k km / 5k miles. How long did the service centre take to fix yours the 2nd time you went in with the correct parts being replaced? I normally go to the Toronto location and they always have appointments available the same week. I’ve been hesitant as I don’t want a temporary fix and I don’t want my car sitting there for more than a couple days. Christmas Day was the official day I noticed the shudder after launching the car in very low with Ludacris + from full stop.

How long did the service centre take to fix yours the 2nd time you went in with the correct parts being replaced?

I think the replacement took <1 day, but because they wanted to first replicate the issue they took longer and kept it overnight to be able to test before and after to confirm issue is resolved.

You should schedule the appointment since they may need to bring in parts for the repair.

I thought the Raven's were suppose to ship with the Rev-D part that resolved the shudder? Which part of my understanding is incorrect, that Raven's don't have Rev-D or Rev-D doesn't actually fix the issue?

They do come with Rev D and updated clevis mount. You are correct that Rev-D+clevis mount most likely does not fix the issue due to the amount of Raven owners finding shudder. Sad since Tesla put out a TSB and got everyones hopes up.

My car had the updated clevis mount and a Rev-D and Rev B half shaft. The shudder returned. Just had the halfshafts replaced again last week.

I got it fixed about a month ago in December. The result was great, acceleration was smooth and all.

However, I recently got the car heavy loaded with all seats occupied and some baggage and to my surprise I got this exact same shudder again when I was accelerating with this heavy load! Repeated this test again a few days later and sure enough the shudder was there again with heavy car load. It's still perfectly fine when I drive it alone or with light load.