Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MX90D with 46K miles and the shudder is there and was never fixed before so I scheduled an appointment to get it fixed per the bulletin. I just bought the car from Tesla and have the 4 year 50K new car warranty so I am good until 94K miles.

My question is if I get this fixed now and the shudder comes back again will they have to do the fix under warranty or is it a one-time warranty fix? When I brought it into the SC for an unrelated issue and just mentioned the shudder, the tech said I should wait until closer to the end of my warranty to have this fixed which seemed odd and gave me the notion that it can only be done once under warranty. If this is a known defect then it should be fixed under warranty as many times as needed. In other words if this happens every 15K then I will need the shudder fixed at 46K (warranty), 61K (warranty), 76K (warranty), 91K (warranty), and 106K (cash). Thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't think warranties work that way. You could certainly take that to court, but if they worked that way, every company would have to fix every issue in perpetuity. But I would 'think' that if the problem was still occurring when you are still under warranty, and the issue had been fixed once, they would be obligated to fix it again... assuming it was under warranty in the first place. I am no lawyer, but Tesla could reserve the right to decline to cover any item at some point. Again, you may be able to take them to court for it.

It may not be bad advice to wait until the last minute to fix it to take advantage of any incremental fixes that may have been added to the repair along the way, assuming you are not sacrificing any safety of the vehicle.

I don't think warranties work that way. You could certainly take that to court, but if they worked that way, every company would have to fix every issue in perpetuity.

I've always thought some enterprising attorney should file a class-action lawsuit against Tesla claiming a defective product. They know the product is a defective design, but they keep building them. That seems ripe for court action.

I've always thought some enterprising attorney should file a class-action lawsuit against Tesla claiming a defective product. They know the product is a defective design, but they keep building them. That seems ripe for court action.

Under normal use the car does not display any signs of a defect. The shudder only occurs after several thousand miles and when WOT (in standard susp).

At this point, Tesla should come out with a camber kit for the car and make the "Low" height "Standard". Car looks way better in Low anyways.

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to get their shudder issues fixed twice (or more) under warranty.
Yep, me! First time when I first got the car 2nd hand (40k km), very bad shudder that time. Next time just yesterday, light shudder had just come back (after accidentally accelerating very hard with suspension just lowering from auto-high because of location, to low) - but I decided to have it repaired right away because the car now has 75k km (warranty until 80). No questions asked, but they did state that this repair does NOT extend the warranty on this particular 'subject' - so if it happens again after 80k, I'm at the service center's discretion ....

Yep, me! First time when I first got the car 2nd hand (40k km), very bad shudder that time. Next time just yesterday, light shudder had just come back (after accidentally accelerating very hard with suspension just lowering from auto-high because of location, to low) - but I decided to have it repaired right away because the car now has 75k km (warranty until 80). No questions asked, but they did state that this repair does NOT extend the warranty on this particular 'subject' - so if it happens again after 80k, I'm at the service center's discretion ....

Thanks! That is what I need to hear.

Simply incredible. People commenting, "all you have to do is not use the air suspension" . LOL. That's like saying, "all you have to do is not put your foot into it. Or ... how 'bout this zinger ..... "all you have to do is not by the car". See, if a car has air suspension, then that means it will work reliably at all positions. Jeez - even our Range Rover wouldn't destroy its own U-joints running around in high & stomping on the accelerator. And I love how the SC loves to say "that's normal". Yea .... that's what they said about the ghosting windshields as well. That's what they said about the yellow screen border, as well. That's what they said when they de-programmed chargespeed to make sure the battery would reach the end of warranty - all the while claiming that's just normal capacity loss. HA! What they mean is that it's normal for them to tell you it's normal.

As an EV owner, always thinking about mileage/range. Was thinking that if there are "dampers" in the new problem-solving axles, those dampers are absorbing energy - energy that would have otherwise gone into propelling the car forward. So the trade-off will be a small amount of lost range for a smooth aggressive acceleration. But that's just my guess. Luckily, I don't have the shudder issue in my 2016 XP100D w/51K.

As an EV owner, always thinking about mileage/range. Was thinking that if there are "dampers" in the new problem-solving axles, those dampers are absorbing energy - energy that would have otherwise gone into propelling the car forward. So the trade-off will be a small amount of lost range for a smooth aggressive acceleration. But that's just my guess. Luckily, I don't have the shudder issue in my 2016 XP100D w/51K.
If there are (and I don't think there are) any loss would be negligible, and indistinguishable from other tiny losses.

raven model X performance shudder is gone after I keep bring it in for shuddering for 5 service visits. They finally changed out the half-shafts (probably because i was persistent and should not have to live with shuddering with 120k car purchase occurred after 3-4 month of purchase) and now shuddering is gone. so far so good for the last couple month.

Don't listen to their service tech BS,

Do I detect a note of cynicism?
Not at all!
We used the sale proceeds - to buy tesla stock, back in 2017 - so not only have we recouped our losses & and gotten past the disappointment, there is a sick Joy - knowing some other owner - poor slob is suffering with all the same things that we did on our MX. If only I could see the look on his face - when his screen goes black, due to an overwritten / fried MCU, and the SC tells him "it's normal".
Musk is quite the sales person, being in the midst of so many "anomalies" and yet the buyers, they keep on flocking, and that's good, & we should all wish Tesla fixes their issues and continue with success.
Some will pay a lot of money and get their expectations met. Others will feel like they paid a lot and got a case of the automotive crabs. And so you sell to someone unsuspecting. And that's the nature of crabs, they are the gift that keeps on giving.
Bwahahaha
:p

Last edited:
Not at all!
We used the sale proceeds - to buy tesla stock, back in 2017 - so not only have we recouped our losses & and gotten past the disappointment, there is a sick Joy - knowing some other owner - poor slob is suffering with all the same things that we did on our MX. If only I could see the look on his face - when his screen goes black, due to an overwritten / fried MCU, and the SC tells him "it's normal".
Musk is quite the sales person, being in the midst of so many "anomalies" and yet the buyers, they keep on flocking, and that's good, & we should all wish Tesla fixes their issues and continue with success.
Some will pay a lot of money and get their expectations met. Others will feel like they paid a lot and got a case of the automotive crabs. And so you sell to someone unsuspecting. And that's the nature of crabs, they are the gift that keeps on giving.
Bwahahaha
:p
I can't read through the sarcasm here to tell, but I hope you're joking. Selling to someone else and taking any pleasure in the idea that the car hasn't performed for them seems a little sick.

I had my MCU fail last week and I am trying to make sure whatever I do to fix it will be a lasting fix because I plan to sell it this year. I couldn't live with the guilt of selling someone something that is destined to fail in short order.

I can't read through the sarcasm here to tell, but I hope you're joking. Selling to someone else and taking any pleasure in the idea that the car hasn't performed for them seems a little sick.

I had my MCU fail last week and I am trying to make sure whatever I do to fix it will be a lasting fix because I plan to sell it this year. I couldn't live with the guilt of selling someone something that is destined to fail in short order.
Ahh - therein lies the irony. If one could only have $10 for every poster who complained about the various issues ..... only to be berated by fellow members that the affected victim(s) MUST be Tesla short holders. Or at best - another whiner. As for things that fail on short order, whether it's doors that come down on your head, leaks, headliner that falls down, a screen that goes black, U-joints that shudder etc ... what's the best remedy ... be noble? Tell subsequent purchasers what they're 'possibly' getting into? And take a bigger hit on the sale? Or, repeat Tesla's narrative, that the MCU isn't prone to fail - and get back some of the hard-earned cash that Tesla would have no problem depriving us of. I understand one could be branded as an ar$$-hat, by dealing shrewdly with someone unsuspecting. Yet Tesla has no issues at all, doing that very thing, only they do it by an increased factor of thousands. Not enjoying at ALL the whole trumpet sounding over issues (& it's very liberating being free of those things that would cause you to complain), so there's no better way then letting the mantle get picked up by the subsequent buyer. And when he's called a short seller, or a whiner - my sympathy will be right there for him - even as some of the members here will verbally stomp on him with golf shoes.

Reactions: cwerdna