Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks guys; i will agree to the $87.50 but yeah i dont recall other "higher" end manufacturers who attempt to charge this for customers still under warranty (which i am).

let's see how this appt is going to address this shudder. i only noticed it recently under full WOT / hard acceleration in luda mode.

Is it normal for Mercedes to charge a diagnostic fee when the car is under the factory 4 year warranty?

Note Tesla did not always threaten diag fees for factory warranty cars. I think they started auto-assessing these fees in 2019.
I don't know, I just know my particular experience there.

I just looked at my last two Tesla service invoices, one from this year, one from mid 2019. Neither mentioned a diagnostic fee. The 2020 was actually for the shudder fix, and the original estimate just referenced a previous service order where they had said there was no fix available at that time.

10-4! I'll let you know as soon as they diagnose mine. Will keep you posted for sure.

What year is yours? Mine is a June 2020 build - so just 7 months old.

mine is a 2016 P90. When I took it back last summer about the vibration, they told me this even though the car is on "always low":

"Technician perform road test and verified there is a normal little vibration during the hard acceleration when suspension on
standard. The vibration is more noticeable when suspension is on high/very high, but there is no vibration on low. This is
normal characteristic of model X. Per engineers recommendation, not to set the suspension on high or very high during
the hard acceleration or sharp turn. Doing so can cause vibration and increase the possibility of damage."

Im hoping now that its turning into a rattle, they'll address it more.

897BA27C-CFAE-4CB6-8490-96C8C02AC99D.jpeg

Why am I being charged for this though car still under warranty?

picked my X from the service center yesterday. i was having two issues:

1) the rear of the X was lower than the front
2) the shudder was felt under hard acceleration or WOT

to fix #1, they replaced:
they found left rear air strut was leaking, replaced both rear air struts, found left ride height sensor was bent, replaced sensor and calibrated ride height
air suspension height sensor ASY RR LH
air spring module rear LH
air spring module rear RH

to fix #2, they replaced:
replaced LH front drive unit clevis mount and both front halfshafts (model X)

all of the above was covered under warranty (with no cost) and i was given an enterprise rental car while the car was in service. service took about 4 full business days as they needed to order the above parts.

outside of getting limited info while the X was in service via the app, i have to say the job is done well and i was not surprised with any costs. wish they kept the X well charged, but by no means was it picked up in a dire status in terms of juice.

let's see how long the shudder will stay away. my 2018 X only has 18K miles on it and i'm sure the shudder was present well before i discovered it by romping on the "gas".

• Helpful
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and VikH
Anyone else notice a return of the shudder, ~18 months after having had new halfshafts and jackshaft assemblies and installed new clevis mount?

Mine has noticeably returned
There seems to be no permanent fix for this issue. It returns on nearly every vehicle over time, and it doesn't appear to have been addressed with Raven. My 2020 X is worse than my 2016.

tenor.gif

Anyone else notice a return of the shudder, ~18 months after having had new halfshafts and jackshaft assemblies and installed new clevis mount?

Mine has noticeably returned
At least you had a period of peace.

The Fort Worth Service Center won't even bother to replace worn out front half-shafts at 5k miles, but hey, what do we expect from six-figure Teslas? It's not like these are expensive cars . . . .

I wonder if they'll get around to fixing this chronic problem before they start to deliver Plaid and Plaid+ Model S's?

https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/sb-21-39-001-replace-front-drive-unit-halfshafts.pdf

New SB on this issue. Slightly different fixes for raven vs. older (small front motor). For my 2017 75D, comparing to my prior invoice it looks like the LH half shaft assembly is a new part, and after crawling under my car and looking up into the clevis mount looks like it needs to be replaced per the new SB as well. After my first fix in 2019 my shudder got worse and now I have a nice little vibration noise that happens as well. Almost sounds like a spring is going boinggg.

Either way, I hope this is the final fix.... I don't understand why they wouldn't fix this when Raven came out... how much money would they have saved....