Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brought my X in. The intake guy was mad defensive about everything I'm trying to get looked out. Within specs etc... He also added that the first owner has only 3 months to submit adjustments (i.e. trim, doors, screen alignment, glovebox alignment etc.) I bought this 2017 used and private sale. This is our 4th Tesla and that has not been my previous experience whether it is new or used regarding the 3 months.

I'm having issues with my second row seats so I asked if someone can at least look at it with me. They did and said that seems something is not right so hopefully that will get address under warranty.

Anyways, to the topic of the shudder he said they only fix it with the TSB if you are experiencing vibration in low setting. I've never tried to make it happen in low. But I know it happens on standard. I know they tell owners to keep it on low but I thought the TSB was for any vibrations at standard or low. That was my assumption. Just sharing my bad service experience once again and they haven't even started working on it. They will probably test it on low and say there is no vibration.

"no shudder on low. There is no fix"
Oh well, I knew going into the X ownership this is just a Tesla feature.

the seats etc, they can't even be clear to me if it's covered under warranty or not. It sounds like I'm giving them an open check book. Ugh so tired to this chat and remote support.

"anything that needs to be fixed will be. All other items you want done that do not need to be sadly isn't an option. We follow these steps consistently, We work to enrich your experience not appease due to people own ideas and set you up for future disappointments. Thank you for your understanding."

WTF does that mean? All I asked was call me to talk through what is being fixed and at what cost. I need to approve the work. I even said please and thank you! lol

Yeah, I think I do recall this now before I got the car, but never ran across it in person, because my car reset itself somewhere along the way to Low (automatic)... :D

I'll have to give it a try and see how bad it really is (ugh... one more complication!).

I got the good windshield, by accident, guess not on this one! :confused:
You must have it set to automatically be in low. When you pull up the screen to adjust the suspension there is an option to the bottom right that says automatically set to low. If you didn’t know why it was doing that.

If you can find the source for that I'd love to see it. I keep hoping this is a a possibility but I really can't imagine Tesla would do that, especially these days. (In 2012 they needed every friend they could get and they rewarded early adopters with pretty generous treatment. They'd send a ranger to your house with a cup of flour if you were baking cookies and ran out. A million cars later, you get about as many freebies as you'd get from any car manufacturer. Or less. )
The proof is earlier in this thread. I got my shudder fixed, for the 4th time I think, this July, at 105.000 km (25k over the warranty-end-limit), for free (goodwill).
1637094603738.png

This was with the new parts, by the way, and I have bad news for everyone: it's back. It's different this time, it's more of a rattle, way scarier, but it also happens only on Low (and probably higher), not on Very Low.

Making an appointment as we speak...

The proof is earlier in this thread. I got my shudder fixed, for the 4th time I think, this July, at 105.000 km (25k over the warranty-end-limit), for free (goodwill).
Also in this thread, discussion by people who can't even get it fixed at their service center a second time while still under warranty. This seems to vary by service center within the US and likely also varies outside fo the US. It is possible that EU law forces Tesla's hand here, but it is also possible that it varies by service center even there.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
View attachment 733688

This was with the new parts, by the way, and I have bad news for everyone: it's back. It's different this time, it's more of a rattle, way scarier, but it also happens only on Low (and probably higher), not on Very Low.

That's super weird. Still having zero issues on my fixed X, running Always Low. I would expect it to come back on Standard rather than Low.

View attachment 733688

Exactly, a loud rattle. I thought something was loose as my car was in service center many times after half shaft change. It is in service center again for this issue and battery cooling issue

Exactly, a loud rattle. I thought something was loose as my car was in service center many times after half shaft change. It is in service center again for this issue and battery cooling issue
I had mine replaced twice this year. it came back, just got car back last week from santa ana SC to also replace my weather strip on both falcon wings. Anyways since my X had the latest parts a few months back, they said theres really nothing they can do to replace the parts and chalked it up to it being one of those annoying noise issues that come with the X and even explained it may have something to do with the hub/axle in relation to keeping up with the torque, even though most of the time I hear it on low torque like taking off from the driveway or stop light less than 45mph. it will have to get very noticeable for SC to hear and witness before the tech gives the ok to repair. I was however assured that my axle would not be a safety concern during regular driving conditions. :/

The local service center has gotten pickier about doing NVH-only repairs. I had a candid conversation a while back with one of the techs where they pointed out that they have some people who seem to never be pleased even when they go well above and beyond, and having done customer service before I can see that. Unfortunately pushing back on that can also get on those of us with more reasonable demands.

I told tech about the new bulletin he said noise is normal on high setting ..sent thru text the sb-21-39-001 September update ..got crickets in return haha
The problem is that the techs dont read the new updates ..because really what's the incentive?

Attachments

• SB-21-39-001_Replace_Front_Drive_Unit_Halfshafts_R1.pdf
    722.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gaston