Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told tech about the new bulletin he said noise is normal on high setting ..sent thru text the sb-21-39-001 September update ..got crickets in return haha
The problem is that the techs dont read the new updates ..because really what's the incentive?
It seems that the only change in the Service Bulletin, compared to the May 2021 version, is an added customer billing instruction?

for some reason tesla techs think that going around the parking lot in low mode with no noise means it doesn't need a fix ? at this point my mx has only 12,000 miles on it .. I dont even want them performing the fix ..ill just do it myself ..its the only way to get something doing right sometimes

I told tech about the new bulletin he said noise is normal on high setting ..sent thru text the sb-21-39-001 September update ..got crickets in return haha
The problem is that the techs dont read the new updates ..because really what's the incentive?

Impressive that you actually got the service bulletin. Neat trick that I need to learn how to do!

I now have almost as many miles on my Raven with the Refresh axles as I did on the original axles, and still, the noise it made on the original 2020-version brand-new axles starting around 3-4000 miles occasionally and getting worse until they were changed at around 8000, is not back. It's also been cold out here, which was the last sortof "let's wait and see" portion of this that I wanted to happen before I decided the fix was good enough for me. When cold it was pretty repeatable from 30-60mph. Now, no noises. I'm almost to 16,000 miles, might get there next week. I've also been driving mostly in Standard over the past 1500 miles to try and squeeze a little more life out of my front tires before I change them.

Reactions: MrShakeHands
I now have almost as many miles on my Raven with the Refresh axles as I did on the original axles, and still, the noise it made on the original 2020-version brand-new axles starting around 3-4000 miles occasionally and getting worse until they were changed at around 8000, is not back. It's also been cold out here, which was the last sortof "let's wait and see" portion of this that I wanted to happen before I decided the fix was good enough for me. When cold it was pretty repeatable from 30-60mph. Now, no noises. I'm almost to 16,000 miles, might get there next week. I've also been driving mostly in Standard over the past 1500 miles to try and squeeze a little more life out of my front tires before I change them.
Already almost done after 16k? I wonder what is so different, as I got 32k out of my first set. Wear was also very even across the tread despite running in Low most of that time.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
Update from SeC visit : the rattling issue is caused, they think, by the half shafts again. They are surprised by the fact that it happened to the new parts. Their first goodwill offer now is to replace at part costs only, no work. I've asked them to reconsider that, since I'm afraid this issue will keep coming back every half year or so...
They have 2 weeks to think about it, I didn't have time for the repair right now.

I had the May 2021 bulletin done on my 2016 X P90D at Santa Clara CA service under warranty. If not warranty then their test drive of flooring it on Very High on Insane Mode would've qualified it for the bulletin. I've put on 5,100 miles on Standard since and no shudder. I haven't floored it, however.

It seems like service isn't consistent with the bulletin across their locations. I was also told this was a permanent fix and that the previous bulletins were temporary.

If not warranty then their test drive of flooring it on Very High on Insane Mode would've qualified it for the bulletin.
The TSBs are only instructions on how to identify and resolve an issue. They don't cause the repair to be covered. You are either under warranty and they will pay for it, or you aren't under warranty and you would pay for it. (But they would follow the TSB instructions.)

i.e. a TSB is not a recall.

The TSBs are only instructions on how to identify and resolve an issue. They don't cause the repair to be covered. You are either under warranty and they will pay for it, or you aren't under warranty and you would pay for it. (But they would follow the TSB instructions.)

i.e. a TSB is not a recall.
Right, which I thought was weird that they said that since bulletins and recalls are different.

Already almost done after 16k? I wonder what is so different, as I got 32k out of my first set. Wear was also very even across the tread despite running in Low most of that time.
A) I spent almost all of those 16k in Very Low. Usually switched to Very Low leaving the driveway. Lots of long highway trips in Very Low, etc.
B) I am an SCCA club racer and therefore have zero throttle control between 0 and 100% which spins the fronts, and I try not to slow down for corners either
C) I have a Raven, which means the front tires are doing a lot more work than on a pre-Raven (The deployment and regen strategy seems to prioritize using the more efficient Model 3 front motor more on the Ravens; on the earlier models it seems like the rear motor got the juice as you'd expect, and that's how they drive to me, much more like a traditional RWD-based AWD car; the Ravens feel more like a FWD-based AWD car to me). The rears still look pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron14902
I told the tech 10 times it makes noise when its on the highway...what does he do? drives around the parking lot and this was the second time with a different service center ;... so I give up ..if they cant read I dont want them working on my vehicle
Have you tried Vallejo? I see your location as North Bay. San Rafael used to be the greatest and then the Model X came out and they were overloaded. I've had better luck at Vallejo, FYI. And they performed the SB on my X recently with a little nudge. We were able to accelerate uphill on a highway onramp to really showcase the shudder.

I was at the Vallejo service center after san Rafael mobile could not fix a charge door after 3 service calls....I was disappointed with Vallejo because i have an x that has only 11,000 miles on it and they charged me the 150 dollar fee for a test drive around the parking lot for 30 secs ....the tech that i had told me that the vibration at high level is normal even after i showed him the bulletin ..so i will have to bring it in again and hopefully ill get a different tech ..did you notice a big difference on the new axles?

I'm on a 30 day return period from Carmax with my 2018 model X. It has 37k miles. Is it worth bringing the car somewhere for an inspection or should I just floor it on the highway under different suspension settings and feel for shutter? How costly is the repair out of pocket as the factory warranty expires this September?

Get on the highway today, put it into the second from lowest setting and floor it. The repair involves replacingt following parts:

Concern: Customer states: Acceleration shudder and noise
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00
Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00- 1.0
H)
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B)
BLT BTNHD M10x1.50x57 [10.9] ZnAl-W(1004350-00-A)
Service Center hourly rate: USD 195

I had my last “fix” done 2 1/2 years ago and the shudder has pretty much been fixed. I got it only twice in that time. Mine is a Founder’s (first off the line numbers) so they have made changes to the vehicle between mine and yours. As you can see by above parts, it is not a cheap service. Do the test now. If it shudders, get it fixed; if it doesn’t you will have peace of mind.