Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is in the shop right now for the shudder that needs no explanation. I just got a call from my SC that told me that they just got off the phone with a "senior" engineer from Cali that says there IS a newly designed part that is a permanent fix that will be shipping out to service centers soon. He said they dont have an ETA or even a ballpark as to when they would be able to get some in hand but gave me the option if I wanted to have them throw old new axles in today or wait for the newly designed ones to show up.

Supposedly, the new axles are going to have some sort of dampeners built into themto absorb any vibration and permanently end the shudder.

Just thought you guys would like to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Made me happy to hear at long last.

My X is in the shop right now for the shudder that needs no explanation. I just got a call from my SC that told me that they just got off the phone with a "senior" engineer from Cali that says there IS a newly designed part that is a permanent fix that will be shipping out to service centers soon. He said they dont have an ETA or even a ballpark as to when they would be able to get some in hand but gave me the option if I wanted to have them throw old new axles in today or wait for the newly designed ones to show up.

Supposedly, the new axles are going to have some sort of dampeners built into themto absorb any vibration and permanently end the shudder.

Just thought you guys would like to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Made me happy to hear at long last.

Can you see if you can get the new part number? There’s been some who have been told the same before and yet had the shudder come back after the “new” part was installed. It turned out the new part was the same as the old part.

Is this for all X's? I've never had this issue and wonder what range of cars we're discussing here...? Now, with my luck, it will start this weekend lol....

Try putting your car in standard suspension height and accelerate you should be able to feel ...by setting SAS to low /“always” was the Tesla “solution”

OP do you know if this is a a recall or as requested ?

Ok all new cars have been set at LOW “always” and aligned that way ...I got shudder on 2018 P100 and the SC fix was above ...my understanding as well is all new cars come this way with that SAS setting ...no vin range I’m aware of

Ok all new cars have been set at LOW “always” and aligned that way ...I got shudder on 2018 P100 and the SC fix was above ...my understanding as well is all new cars come this way with that SAS setting ...no vin range I’m aware of
Crap, let me go check in case some firmware reset her to Low! :confused:

Aaaaanddddd, yeah, the speed-sensitive part was reset to 'always' from 'never'. So, my bad.

I'll have to change it to Standard while moving to see what this feels like, then!

Last edited:
LOL ..yah the new “standard” is “low” and aligned that way ...how are your tires holding up ?? On the 100s you can really feel the shudder on acceleration from 0

LOL ..yah the new “standard” is “low” and aligned that way ...how are your tires holding up ?? On the 100s you can really feel the shudder on acceleration from 0
Low mileage, mostly use it on weekends, as I work from home most days, so, just fine. :D

I'll have to, um, do some experimentation now that I know there's an 'issue' here! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
On a side note, I was given the option of installing a new set of the current design axles and when the shudder comes back they would hook me up with the new fix then...or just wait until the part is released and Tesla would contact me to be an early adopter. Sounded like I was being offered to beta test the new axles. At any rate, I agreed just to wait until the new part is available. I did tell them that if this new part isn't out by October, I was gonna be knocking on their door for some of the new old stock. I'll be patient but also realistic. We all know Tesla...that could be a few weeks, or that could be 6 months. Not gonna drive with this for too long.

Can you see if you can get the new part number? There’s been some who have been told the same before and yet had the shudder come back after the “new” part was installed. It turned out the new part was the same as the old part.

After squeezing him for a little more info, he said that he was only told that they're in the final steps of production and that's why he can't say how long it will be. It sounds to me like it's definitely a different part.

I was told that early Model X VIN's actually DID have a different axle part number than the ones they are currently putting on vehicles. Perhaps that's the "new" part that you were originally told about. That be the case, indeed it was a fix...just not the right one for this problem.

Do they offer any ideas of cost of fixing the shudder?

Since most people are under warranty still, I don't think too many will have to worry about it. HOWEVER, I would think that with this being a known issue with the X for years, Tesla will very likely do the permanent fix as a "goodwill" repair for those out of warranty. If you make a big enough stink and escalate it up through Tesla service, i'd all but bet on them covering this since it's a known defect,

That said, I would wait until you hear from other people that they are actually installing these revised axles before you contact your SC to try to get them to GoodWill the repair.

Is this for all X's? I've never had this issue and wonder what range of cars we're discussing here...

If you search out "Model X shudder", you'll have enough threads to make your eyes bleed. Short of it...most X's seem to experience it at one point or another, but some don't. Seems to show up in the first 10K miles but ive head people upward of 20K to even 25K miles have it show up. It feels like a vibration or a shudder when you accelerate anywhere from medium to heavy acceleration. Its most obvious when suspension is on standard or higher, but when the axles get bad enough, even low or very low will cause it. Tesla's previous solution was to simply set your suspension to low, but it increases inner tire wear which isn't covered under warranty. They've said they've been working on a permanent fix for years now, and this is the first time i've ever heard Tesla themselves show any signs that something is actually on it's way to happening.

OP do you know if this is a a recall or as requested ?

Far as I can tell, this isn't being considered a recall as of now. IMO it SHOULD be a recall, but since it doesn't create any inherent danger or "supposedly" decrease safety or drivability, it's not considered so.

As I mentioned above tho, I'm i'd wager that if you're outside of warranty and have a severe shudder, they will likely GoodWill this repairs since it's a dime a dozen for all service centers.

Yeah, I think I do recall this now before I got the car, but never ran across it in person, because my car reset itself somewhere along the way to Low (automatic)... :D

I'll have to give it a try and see how bad it really is (ugh... one more complication!).

I got the good windshield, by accident, guess not on this one! :confused:

Reactions: Kacey Green
It can take the shudder a while to appear. A new X may take a few thousand miles. Probably shows up faster if you've been driving on Standard or higher a lot. That said, once it shows up it's permanent until Tesla fixes it. I wouldn't rush out and try 100 runs of 0-60 in Standard mode just to provoke it.

While it is an annoyance, it doesn't seem like a safety issue. I doubt there would be any official recall.

This thread is very timely, I just posed a question about something related to this yesterday (though more specifically on the warranty side). My drive shafts have been replaced twice now in the past 10 months or so, and I always have my suspension in low.

Does anyone know what happens in the long run if the shafts are not replaced? Is it wear that causes it? Does the shudder get to the point of happening even when not accelerating?