Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News from Western Australia

As many would know the WA South West have had in place for the past two years the excellent RAC electric highway, a series of DC charge stations that puts about 85% of the states population within 100kms of a fast charger, this covers thereabouts 10% of the states area, so what of the other 90%? At this time it's just not viable for fast chargers but as there's no shortage of power in WA regional areas its prime territory for 3 phase outlets, most locations already have 3 phase it's just the outlet type may not be a 5 pin or not in working condition, there's also the explanation process in sometimes trying to convince a location that supporting EV charging will be a long term good decision.
Under Richard Mcs Round Oz route leadership, the WA part of the team comprising of both TOCA and AEVA members have been chasing up anyone prepared to listen. Techno-phile has been on a winning streak lately and has been working with both Synergy and Horizon Power (regional) on their plans to become more EV friendly. Both are state owned and wouldn't you know it they both sell electricity.
Synergy are supplying fifty 32amp 3phase switched sockets outlets (re-branded to Synergy) for distribution throughout the state. Six AEVA WA members have formed a team to distribute these sockets to 6 regions of WA, with three Tesla owners taking responsibility for the outer regions and 3 other-EV owners looking after the more local regions, with the aim of reducing the distance between 3p charging spots on main WA roads to 100kms. Horizon are going to install 3 phase outlets in three Kimberley locations, as a trial (incidentally completing the Round Oz route to the WA border in the Top End). They may be small steps in the uptake of EVs but crucially its action and not just words.
Hats off to Techno-phile for his never ending persistence in the pursuit of a better EV charging infrastructure.

A bit off topic but I'm wondering if one of the WA long distance pioneers has some advice for a trip from Perth to Geraldton, returning the next day. It seems there are 2 semi-public options for a mid point top up charge for an hour(ish).
- The Indian Ocean Rd route would involve a stop at the HPWC in Cervantes Pinnacles Edge Resort and a meal at the restaurant there
- The inland route would involve a stop at Bangingarra oval and may or may not involve jumping a fence to plug into a 20A 3 phase outlet
Does anyone here have experience with any of these options? Or can offer an alternative.

A bit off topic but I'm wondering if one of the WA long distance pioneers has some advice for a trip from Perth to Geraldton, returning the next day. It seems there are 2 semi-public options for a mid point top up charge for an hour(ish).
- The Indian Ocean Rd route would involve a stop at the HPWC in Cervantes Pinnacles Edge Resort and a meal at the restaurant there
- The inland route would involve a stop at Bangingarra oval and may or may not involve jumping a fence to plug into a 20A 3 phase outlet
Does anyone here have experience with any of these options? Or can offer an alternative.

The downside to Cervantes is its not always possible to get a meal when a tourist group has the dining room booked, I do believe you can still use the HPWC for a set fee, the option then is to walk across the road and get a good meal at the bowling club although it's opening times are limited.
Jurien bay has a HPWC but it's only 16amp single phase, a better option is to use the 50amp 3 phase on the foreshore, check Plugshare for special arrangements to avoid being ICED.
Both roads between Perth and Gero can be heavy on energy use, also watch out for some pretty distracted drivers in hire cars that forget which side of the road to drive on.

Did you opt for dual chargers in your car?

I did opt for the high power charger, knowing that I had 3 Phase at home, and most my family had work sheds with 3 Phase. Hoping to get to Griffith then the inland route back to Sydney via Parkes on 3 Phase in Spring.

I thought dual chargers were discontinued with the facelift of the S model

I did opt for the high power charger, knowing that I had 3 Phase at home, and most my family had work sheds with 3 Phase. Hoping to get to Griffith then the inland route back to Sydney via Parkes on 3 Phase in Spring.

I thought dual chargers were discontinued with the facelift of the S model

Correct, dual Chargers were discontinued, your high power charger should get you around 82kms typical range per hour, still pretty handy in these early days of EVs in Australia.

It's been a good few days of media coverage for electric vehicles in Western Australia (up from zero coverage previously), the AEVA national secretary got some airtime on ABC local radio, a few online articles and a very well presented write up in WAs only daily newspaper- WA’s electric vehicle charging network to expand, and now with seperate announcements from Volvo and the French govt on the electric vehicle future EVs are gaining traction on TV and radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, dual Chargers were discontinued, your high power charger should get you around 82kms typical range per hour, still pretty handy in these early days of EVs in Australia.

Aahh! Thanks for confirming the top capability of 3 Phase. The Sparky that fitted my wall charger did say he dialled it back a little after seeing the Pool filter, aircon unit and appliance count in the house. He reckoned there was a small chance of tripping the fuse box if they were all running - going over the 100 Amp feed that a residential house gets.

At full tilt a Tesla HPWC can pull 72 amps. So mine tops out at 75 Km p/hr.