TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

news on re-release of autopilot in HK?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by gavinwang, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

So I wonder how they determine this. If it's geolocation it will work. If it's based on street speed sign it won't be so good, as the digital speed signs are not accurately read. 80 is always read as 60kph.

2. Silverbird

Silverbird Member

I have tried it on highway no 3 from Jordan Road to Tai LAM , the system is perfect and I don't need to intervene at all. Only I need to touch the wheel from time to time as stipulated on the panel.

3. Mille Pun

Mille Pun Member

Nice! Actually I'm interested in what technology is used to detect user is touching the leather wrapped wheel ?

4. ediot

ediot Member

as far as i know, it just goes by wheel turning resistance, so possibly some weight on the wheel a-la-mecedes

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

And the SCMP weighs in...

Ready for self-steering cars? Hong Kong transport officials approve use of Tesla autopilot functions in policy reversal

6. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Thank God the TD is looking after us! So much better than those inexperienced transport administrators in the US, UK, Australia and Europe. If they hadn't explained to me I was in control I would have slept all the way to work.

7. Silent Knight

Silent Knight Member

I just updated my software to 7.1 (2.14.17) last night with all the bells and whistles, except for Summon but now a new one is here 7.1 (2.14.50). I don't see what has changed though...

8. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

How does AP know if there is a center lane divider?

I wonder if AP will still work instances where one tunnel crossing has been closed and both directions have to share one tube.

9. nghktom

nghktom Member

it is back. it is back. love it

10. mattse

mattse Member

It doesn't feel like by wheel turning resistance... sometimes the car simply doesn't believe my hands are on the steering wheel
    and it seems more difficult to initiate auto lane change now (compared to the version we have before TD's ban last year)

11. markwj

Supposedly it uses GPS and a list of suitable roads.

There have been reports of it getting confused when side roads cross or come near the main road that autopilot is working on.

12. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

So indeed it is a neutered version of AP.
    Something is better than nothing i guess.

13. markwj

Or a version that enforced the restrictions Tesla have already stated.

The issue I see is not that it restricts. Nanny, sure, but there was a lot of abuse of this. The issue is that it makes mistakes. Minor roads crossing or getting near a major one, tunnels, etc. Someone mentioned that when they were in a tunnel going through the hill the car thought they were on the small road going over the hill and cut off autosteer.

14. 808?

808? Member

Now we just need the Highways Department to paint the road lines properly on motorways and all is good.

15. Silent Knight

Silent Knight Member

Another update going on right now apparently

16. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

No app alert for me yet :(

Can someone post what its about when they finish the update?

17. Silent Knight

Silent Knight Member

Nothing has changed except for the build number (from 7.1(2.14.17)->&.1(2.14.50)->7.1(2.14.66). I assume it's a bug fix to something within the scope of the update.

18. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I have seen a few instances of being on AP and then a message comes up saying AP not available at this location, but the AP staying on.