Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

news on re-release of autopilot in HK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7.1 has a lot more restrictions to auto pilot. Imbeciles can't go crazy with it now.

I have done business with the Gov/TD before, and sadly, I know more than enough to say that, unless there are serious breakthrough/event of how Autopilot have saved people's live in the western countries, and until 70% HK people is driving Tesla/AP-Enabled car, otherwise, we will be stuck in stone-age for a while.

If there is anyone here trying to setup an online store and planing to take credit card payment in HK, which Other countries has been using for decade, HK company need to proof that, there are 500k business every month for 5 years in order to get this approved......now imagine how long will AP(which only minority of people have access to) need to wait until it get approved?

Could you please provide some examples?

Please check out the link I attached in my post, comparing the semi autonomous or driving assistance functions across many brands (unsurprisingly Tesla came out head and shoulders ahead). The point is many household makes, Infiniti, MB etc have implemented very similar functions in their cars, and HKTD doesn't take them out the market.

i'm in fact rather unimpressed with the way things have been done regarding Tesla/ HK Gov TD about Autosteer

1. Its a feature update that Tesla's pushed to all the auto pilot featured cars in HK. That's cool - you paid for it, you waited for it, you got it downloaded and you get to use it. life is grand.

2. HK's Transport Department dont' want to take responsibility for if anything happens, hence dropping their one tool - The Ban Hammer* (note this isn't done thru legislation to prohibit the use of it explicitly. Apparantly they "had a word" with Tesla HK and they agreed to undo the update.

OK so the TD is uncomfortable with rolling out autosteer in HK. but surely they must KNOW that it was coming? it's not like it was a secret, so i'm guessing they just didn't give a crap on doing their due diligence on it until it's already happening.
OR
Had they already done their due diligence on it and found that auto steer is just not safety/ unacceptable for HK roads, then surely it becomes a legislative issue? make it explicitly illegal to use? there are no roads in HK that you can legally drive above 110km/h, so why don't they prohibit car makers selling cars in HK that can go up to 180+ miles/h? that's 288km/h btw. The point is, it should be the driver's responsibility to act and drive according to the law, and legally you're still responsible for any accidents if you were in a Tesla and using auto steer, if it happens to cause an accident. Just like how you can legally have a sip of green tea whilst driving, and it'd still be your fault if you crash. I dont see the government prohibiting green tea.

*tinfoil hat on* the fact that Tesla complied probably has to do concerns of doing business in HK, and in the greater region - Mainland China. If i started a company and have created a product to sell, which isn't illegal, i'd fight tooth and nail for the right to continue selling it. If something is deemed harmful to the society and it outweights its benefits, then it makes a perfect case to make it into law. The fact that Tesla complied so seemingly easily may suggest the Gov having a stronger underhanded influence on this than is let on *tinfoil hat back in cupboard*

3. without any prior notification to users, the auto steer update was ninja-removed without first notifying the owners, and clearly explaining the situation.

wow, talk about transparency? even if you have to do it, surely a notification to the owners whilst/before you do it is warranted? are you doing to disable my car's handles from sitting flush again if it's now an issue? whilst the car i've bought's been nothing but amazing, the warranty/management of Tesla's HK arm has A LOT left to be desired.

*tinfoil hat on* the fact that Tesla complied probably has to do concerns of doing business in HK, and in the greater region - Mainland China. If i started a company and have created a product to sell, which isn't illegal, i'd fight tooth and nail for the right to continue selling it. If something is deemed harmful to the society and it outweights its benefits, then it makes a perfect case to make it into law. The fact that Tesla complied so seemingly easily may suggest the Gov having a stronger underhanded influence on this than is let on *tinfoil hat back in cupboard*

Whether it is illegal or not is an interpretation of the law, and that is ultimately up to the courts to decide. There are plenty of regulations that could be enforced against Teslas (as well as other cars) that aren't. We also have the overall concept of 'roadworthiness'.

Bottom line: The TD enforces the regulations and permits/denies/stalls Tesla's ability to register new cars here. It would be brave/foolish (depend on your point of view) for Tesla to go against a specific written instruction from TD.

Whether it is illegal or not is an interpretation of the law, and that is ultimately up to the courts to decide. There are plenty of regulations that could be enforced against Teslas (as well as other cars) that aren't. We also have the overall concept of 'roadworthiness'.

Bottom line: The TD enforces the regulations and permits/denies/stalls Tesla's ability to register new cars here. It would be brave/foolish (depend on your point of view) for Tesla to go against a specific written instruction from TD.

Let's go back to the root. Why did TD change its mind? It had already turned a blind eye to AP features. It was because Mr Tsim (or whatever his name is) decide to drive around in the busy neighborhood with his hands off the steering wheel and then got it publicized as a safety risk. Mr Tsim and AppleDaily forced TD's hands. And Tesla of course have to comply with TD so they can keep selling cars. TD is behind in its thinking but so is some of our HK public/media. It's quite a sad perpetual loop.

Let's go back to the root. Why did TD change its mind? It had already turned a blind eye to AP features. It was because Mr Tsim (or whatever his name is) decide to drive around in the busy neighborhood with his hands off the steering wheel and then got it publicized as a safety risk. Mr Tsim and AppleDaily forced TD's hands. And Tesla of course have to comply with TD so they can keep selling cars. TD is behind in its thinking but so is some of our HK public/media. It's quite a sad perpetual loop.

According to TD's statement, Tesla had not applied to them for approval but every update (both hardware and software) to a vehicle in Hong Kong requires pre-approval.

We can speculate that the media attention triggered/forced this action.

The new UI of 7.1is great that's shows the cars detected nearby, with different size like car and trunks. Do you know is this UI available if the car is equipped with autopilot hardware but not paid for AP ? Thanks

My car's shown an update available, which I haven't proceeded with yet. I'm assuming it's the 7.0 or 7.1 with the AP feature disabled.

1. I noticed that when there's an update available, it doesn't revenge tell you the firmware version available, let alone the file size of the update. This I find rather... Lacking. Tesla is meant to be a tech company that's currently focusing on cars right? How come it's having less commonly expected features than an Android app update?? A quick note of version number, file size and"What's new" seems almost prehistoric to leave out. I understand that they're apple inspired in how everything just works and is minimalistic. But the average user today is much more sophisticated with tech user, and aren't overwhelmed by this little bit more info.

In short I guess I just wished the car tells me a bit more about itself, gating it behind an info button doesn't hurt :)

2. Currently I'm using the menu in English and navigation in Cantonese (hearing some of the street names being read out in English makes my face muscle cringe so hard it turned into a fist). I hear that this is no longer possible? Once you update, you either go all English or all Chinese, including all the menus? This reason alone is enough for me to postpone updating.