Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

news on re-release of autopilot in HK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red tapes, bureaucracy and inconsistencies stated TD is run by amateurs who would change their minds after lunch.

Lexus recently selling a new car with sequential turn signal, Audi had a similar design earlier but was rejected by TD.

The only things that will get the TD to get out of the way of progress is
1/ get the senior management to learn how to drive
2/ get Elon to publicly embarrass them in a respectful but obvious way
3/ appeal to the govt to not be backward but to advance HK along with the rest of the world.

Question for you HK-ers, as it's been many years since my sole trip to your city, and it deals with the present limits that Tesla has emplaced on AP use everywhere, not just proscribing it for HK:

How many km of divided multi-lane limited access roads does Hong Kong have? Would being able legally to use AP be of any tangible benefit in HK?

Question for you HK-ers, as it's been many years since my sole trip to your city, and it deals with the present limits that Tesla has emplaced on AP use everywhere, not just proscribing it for HK:

How many km of divided multi-lane limited access roads does Hong Kong have? Would being able legally to use AP be of any tangible benefit in HK?

There are approximately 2,100km of roads in Hong Kong (http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/factsheets/docs/highways.pdf).

Of those, 145km are expressway (aka 'highway' or 'motorway') (List of streets and roads in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

There are also a large number of non-expressway but dual carriageway style roads suitable for auto-pilot, but those are harder to classify so specific figures hard to give. If asked to guess, I'd estimate perhaps 15% to 20% of the roads here meet the criteria for advanced auto pilot features.

For those who travel on expressways, advanced Auto Pilot features would be clearly beneficial. For example, my own commute is 40km round trip - of which 80% is suitable for advanced auto pilot features. In a recent survey of local ownership, by Charged Hong Kong, a surprisingly large number (30%+) of owners lived in the New Territories and worked in 'Islands' district - clearly driving from home to Lantau (a trip which is largely expressway).

So to answer your question, think of Hong Kong like any big city around the world (London, New York, etc). For those living in the city, advanced Auto Pilot features would be of limited use. But for those living or travelling outside the city centre, the usefulness is clear.

62a-e.gif

Last edited:
Last but not least, every new technology require time for adoption and practically get ppl involved. With the foreseeable ability for having autopilot on all types of road (the limited restriction is just on the current beta version), as a policy maker, TD should focus on the process of adoption of AP, and the benefit after it could fully implemented.
It maybe right that the current AP brings no tangible benefit to HK, but bear in mind it's just a start of adoption. If you starts late, the city will always be late than the world.

The problem for them is that there is no saving face with this one. If they cripple AP they look vindictive and foolish and if they don't they look foolish for taking it away in the first place.

Guys, can each of us send 1 letter to the TD to represent our hope on this? If my English is good enough, I wouldn't mind writing such template for all of us here. Anyone?

Guys, can each of us send 1 letter to the TD to represent our hope on this? If my English is good enough, I wouldn't mind writing such template for all of us here. Anyone?

Easy to write in. It is getting an answer to your question that is hard ;-)

Seriously, though, I suggest you ask for the **specific** legislation that is being violated by this (not just a vague reference to CAP374).

I consider that AP is an advanced version of cruise control with more safety elements built. If there is no problem for cruise control, it is no reason why AP is not allowed.:confused:

I consider that AP is an advanced version of cruise control with more safety elements built. If there is no problem for cruise control, it is no reason why AP is not allowed.:confused:

I can't agree with you more, beewalker (to declare interest, I did not opt the autopilot option).

However, it is those TD morons and imbeciles who don't think these safety elements "safe"!

Well this came randomly and unexpected.

When reading the release notes yesterday it almost didn't look like there was anything new.
Then noticed "Autosteer (Beta)" was in the middle of the features.
Called Tesla to confirm it wasn't indeed a mistake.

Took a drive to try it out.
I couldn't get it to work on most roads (wanted to try slow speed stop and go traffic first).
The only place I was able to get it to work on was eastbound in the old Kai Tak Tunnel (~60kph for roughly 15 seconds).

It seems like the Autosteer we have gotten has more criteria to meet before that grey steering wheel pops up for you to enable.
While something is better than nothing, perhaps it's geofenced?
Can anyone confirm?