Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

news on re-release of autopilot in HK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this came randomly and unexpected.

When reading the release notes yesterday it almost didn't look like there was anything new.
Then noticed "Autosteer (Beta)" was in the middle of the features.
Called Tesla to confirm it wasn't indeed a mistake.

Took a drive to try it out.
I couldn't get it to work on most roads (wanted to try slow speed stop and go traffic first).
The only place I was able to get it to work on was eastbound in the old Kai Tak Tunnel (~60kph for roughly 15 seconds).

It seems like the Autosteer we have gotten has more criteria to meet before that grey steering wheel pops up for you to enable.
While something is better than nothing, perhaps it's geofenced?
Can anyone confirm?

I have tried it on highway no 3 from Jordan Road to Tai LAM , the system is perfect and I don't need to intervene at all. Only I need to touch the wheel from time to time as stipulated on the panel.

And the SCMP weighs in...

Ready for self-steering cars? Hong Kong transport officials approve use of Tesla autopilot functions in policy reversal

A department spokesman told the Post it approved two features – auto steer and auto lane change – after examining information Tesla provided.

The two features must be used on roads with a central divider and a speed limit of 70 km per hour or above as well as display a proper warning message to remind drivers to maintain control at all times.

The department also directed Tesla to educate drivers so that they would be aware of how the features operated and what their limitations were.

It also advised that the auto steer and auto change features offered only supplementary assistance.

Thank God the TD is looking after us! So much better than those inexperienced transport administrators in the US, UK, Australia and Europe. If they hadn't explained to me I was in control I would have slept all the way to work.

as far as i know, it just goes by wheel turning resistance, so possibly some weight on the wheel a-la-mecedes

It doesn't feel like by wheel turning resistance... sometimes the car simply doesn't believe my hands are on the steering wheel
and it seems more difficult to initiate auto lane change now (compared to the version we have before TD's ban last year)

So indeed it is a neutered version of AP.
Something is better than nothing i guess.

Or a version that enforced the restrictions Tesla have already stated.

The issue I see is not that it restricts. Nanny, sure, but there was a lot of abuse of this. The issue is that it makes mistakes. Minor roads crossing or getting near a major one, tunnels, etc. Someone mentioned that when they were in a tunnel going through the hill the car thought they were on the small road going over the hill and cut off autosteer.