Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News week of Jan 6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just saying, I have a PR source. Always a super quick response on most topics, unless it is an emerging event or announcement. I asked if going to the Detroit auto show would be worth it, regarding Model X. No response. I mean (source) responds on friday nights, any time. My conclusion, 9 months before Model X production, 2 years after reveal, seems like similar timeline to Model S. Beta is due in a couple weeks, DETROIT HERE I COME!

I'd say the highest chances are this, Tesla has a press conference slot for the Detroit Auto Show next Tuesday Jan 14 at 11:40 am... let's hope it's final details on the Model X

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=27789

I've posted it a while ago on another thread, but it is worth noting that Panasonic has press conference scheduled on Monday, Jan 13, 5.35-6:00pm. News of JV between Panasonic and Tesla to build/operate battery giga-factory would be most welcome... Not sure what else would be worth of Panasonic press-conference during the auto show :wink:

I've posted it a while ago on another thread, but it is worth noting that Panasonic has press conference scheduled on Monday, Jan 13, 5.35-6:00pm. News of JV between Panasonic and Tesla to build/operate battery giga-factory would be most welcome... Not sure what else would be worth of Panasonic press-conference during the auto show :wink:

My guess is it will be an intro to Model X and first dual electric motor AWD car which will be available as an option on the Model S as well, maybe sooner than the X comes out.

as for Panasonic, I have no idea what their press conference would be...seems too early to announce some Giga factory joint venture..maybe they are announcing deals with other auto companies that want to build electric cars?

My guess is it will be an intro to Model X and first dual electric motor AWD car which will be available as an option on the Model S as well, maybe sooner than the X comes out.

as for Panasonic, I have no idea what their press conference would be...seems too early to announce some Giga factory joint venture..maybe they are announcing deals with other auto companies that want to build electric cars?

I do not see them talking about the AWD option for Model S, unless they are ready to implement it right away. It does not make a lot of sense, however, to incorporate manufacturing changes associated with new AWD platform at the same time as they are working hard to scale up Model S production from current 600 cars/week to as high as 1200 cars/week.

cool, didn't even catch that. But I'm wondering if the auto show would be the appropriate place to announce a battery giga-factory. If anything, panasonic would have been part of the tesla slot as guests or something. But definitely hoping I'm wrong.

I still think that there is a chance that this announcement will be about something completely unrelated to Model X or AWD for the Model S. There are several possibilities :

1. A real leasing program (most likely through a partnership with a third party). This would require training for all sales people so they know the details, and would help put the Model S within reach of alot more buyers. They are production constrained now, but if they double capacity this year, I am not 100% there are enough buyers with the means to purchase a Model S outright to buy every car they roll off the line.

2. Employee briefing on the results of the fire investigation. It will be important for all public facing employees to tow the company line, regardless of the results of the investigation.

3. No real announcement, just all the Tesla employees gathering around the TV to watch tonight's SpaceX launch together (ok, this one is not likely)

4. New colors or other options for the Model S are about to be made available, and everyone needs to know whats up with them before the public starts asking about them.

I doubt there's an announcement this week. If for no other reason, than because this is the week of CES, and there are so many announcements this week that things tend to get drowned out if you announce then. I don't think even Tesla could climb above the CES noise. Nah, I think Jan 14th makes more sense.

I still think that there is a chance that this announcement will be about something completely unrelated to Model X or AWD for the Model S. There are several possibilities :

1. A real leasing program (most likely through a partnership with a third party). This would require training for all sales people so they know the details, and would help put the Model S within reach of alot more buyers. They are production constrained now, but if they double capacity this year, I am not 100% there are enough buyers with the means to purchase a Model S outright to buy every car they roll off the line.

2. Employee briefing on the results of the fire investigation. It will be important for all public facing employees to tow the company line, regardless of the results of the investigation.

3. No real announcement, just all the Tesla employees gathering around the TV to watch tonight's SpaceX launch together (ok, this one is not likely)

4. New colors or other options for the Model S are about to be made available, and everyone needs to know whats up with them before the public starts asking about them.

As stated in the opening post: 'all hands'.

That eliminates #1 (not all employees or even half of employees of Tesla are 'sales' people or 'front' people).
This has the most possibility of your options, though again, not all employees are 'public facing'. The results of the investigation could just as easily be sent via interoffice e-mail. Needing to call an all hands for this doesn't ring right, unless it's really bad news.
#3 Um...no.
#4, again can easily be done via e-mail and doesn't concern many beyond the paint/sales departments.

All hands meetings that I've ever attended are generally to a) rally the troops, or b) assuage rumors, rumblings or other news that ripples through companies and has a negative effect on productivity - like a media rumor that the company is heading for bankruptcy/will be laying people off - nipping it in the bud, as it were, or c) give a general overview of the direction the company is taking in the near future.

That eliminates #1 (not all employees or even half of employees of Tesla are 'sales' people or 'front' people).
This has the most possibility of your options, though again, not all employees are 'public facing'. The results of the investigation could just as easily be sent via interoffice e-mail. Needing to call an all hands for this doesn't ring right, unless it's really bad news.
#3 Um...no.
#4, again can easily be done via e-mail and doesn't concern many beyond the paint/sales departments.

All hands meetings that I've ever attended are generally to a) rally the troops, or b) assuage rumors, rumblings or other news that ripples through companies and has a negative effect on productivity - like a media rumor that the company is heading for bankruptcy/will be laying people off - nipping it in the bud, as it were, or c) give a general overview of the direction the company is taking in the near future.

Talking about possible unionizing of the Tesla plant workforce would fit your definition of the "all hands" meeting:

Unions press for place with Tesla - SFGate

#3 Um...no.

Agreed. I believe this is about a significant product change. The AWD system/date of availability is my best guess. This may boil down to only discussion of options/availability of the model X. Introduction of a new vehicle would definitely be something to 'rally the troops'

Most companies, mine included, have a regular all-hands meeting with all employees. It's quarterly at my company, the last few I've worked, and (I believe) at Tesla.

Does anyone have any reason to believe this isn't just a normal all-hands meeting? Is the lack of news out of Tesla causing us to create news?

All-hands meetings are very typical for computer software/hardware companies (I've worked in the industry for 20+ years) and I'm sure Tesla as well. But usually these meetings have demo's at them when software/hardware is shown when the company is ready for the news to be socialized throughout the company and shortly to its fanbase/media.

I'd expect Panasonic to talk about higher capacity batteries at NAIAS...hopefully for Model X! Very exciting!

Most companies, mine included, have a regular all-hands meeting with all employees. It's quarterly at my company, the last few I've worked, and (I believe) at Tesla.

Does anyone have any reason to believe this isn't just a normal all-hands meeting? Is the lack of news out of Tesla causing us to create news?

According to the post by fryfrue, according to his sources, the meeting supposedly linked with "big news":

News week of Jan 6? - Page 2

If right, I wonder who will get the scoop? Maybe MercuryNews? http://www.mercurynews.com/

Maybe it's this:

Jay, one of the guys down at the ****** gallery, is supposed to be coming up here to manage the ****** gallery. He also said that ****** is supposed to get their Model X very soon. Should be fun!

Maybe all the galleries are getting Model X Betas after Detroit show.

Last edited: