TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nexen tires?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by gnguyen, Apr 9, 2018.

1. gnguyen

gnguyen Member

Has anyone tried this brand or specific tire? Reviews on Walmart are good but I don’t know if Walmart reviews will be as discerning as you will want for tires on this car.

Nexen N'Fera RU5 265/45R20 108V XL BSW Touring tire

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/43079492

2. lardlad00

lardlad00 Member

I'm curious about this as well. This is the only option at my local shop in a V speed and XL load rating, and the price isn't bad at all. Under $600.

• Helpful x 1
  3. bairesman

bairesman Member

You can get the Goodyear F1s at Tirerack for $475 the complete set after a $100 rebate. Not sure I would save on tires... my 2 cents

4. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

Continental and Michelin only, for road cars, in my experience. I've never been happy with anything else.

5. BrianD

BrianD Member

I'm looking for all-season tires and have not been thrilled with the Continentals.

Has anyone rolled the dice on these Nexen tires? Reviews on Amazon are good but who knows what reviewers are comparing them to and I have not seen much elsewhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NJ4I
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NLP0

I am also considering the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus which seem to be a good value right now as well:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9EAS
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9GVA

6. .jg.

.jg. Member

I haven't tried Nexen on my Tesla but I have used Nexen tyres on a Prius and on a Lancia Phedra (an MPV/people carrier). The Nexen summer tyres had noticeably more grip in the wet than the Continental tyres that the Prius came with. Overall, both summer and winter Nexen tyres seemed to perform well - not significantly worse than some of the more expensive names. However, I haven't tried them on a car with as much torque and power as the Tesla.

7. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

We're happy with the high-mile warranty contintentals. We never get full warranty out of them, though.

8. Azhagan

Azhagan Member

I am having to replace tires every year, due to the mileage I put on the car, and I can't swallow 1100 a year for tires. I am looking at the Nexen AU7 tires. I used to have VW Phaeton with Nexen N7000 and they were the best performing tires in regards to comfort and road noise.

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

I had Nexen tires installed on a GMC Acadia years ago - very happy with them. Way better than the Goodyear Forteras that were OEM on that vehicle.

Zero concerns from me on Nexens - I was skeptical at first, but my local tire shop recommended them and I have to say — they were right.

10. GEAUXHOOKEM

GEAUXHOOKEM Member

I put Nexen tires on the X several months ago. I initially did this as a temporary measure until the Goodyear EV optimized tires finally saw the light of day. Well, I won't be getting rid of the Nexen tires, period. IMHO, they are just as competent in daily driving as the ContiSilents they replaced. They are better on wet roads, and I've noticed no increase in road noise inside the vehicle. I feel as if the driving dynamics are a bit better as it relates to quicker acceleration and spirited driving in and out of curves. I drove the ContiSilent tires for a year so I have a basis for my assessment, but I understand that each person has their own opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I honestly don't know how I could go to another more established and popular brand of tire at 3X the cost of what I paid for the Nexens.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. manbans

manbans New Member

Hi - Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering changing all 4 tires on our Model X with Nexen tires, and was wondering if could share how much you paid for the Nexen tires, and whether you replaced all 4? Thank you

12. johnf_1@yahoo.co

[email protected] Supporting Member

What GEAUXHOOKEM said: the Walmart Nexens are indistinguishable from the OEM Contis in use to me...and a small fraction of the Conti price. And note: the X eats the inside edge of the rear tires...I thought my tires were a little past half life based on what I saw at 30K...until I reached around and felt the exposed steel belts on the inside edge of both rear tires. No rubber at all...holy cow! That is one big heavy rig with negative camber in back...Basically, I am guessing rear tires are good for 25K if driven gently....

13. joshualcoffee

joshualcoffee New Member

I just swapped to the Nexens over the OEM. I have to say they ride much better along with being much quieter IMO. I'll give an update when I've had them on there for a few months. With installation, I paid 738, compared to 1500 I paid for the last set.

14. bayx

bayx Member

Would you be able to provide us an update on the Nexus please? How do they hold up on the MX and would you have rather paid over a $1000 for the OEM Conti's from Tesla? Thank you.

15. bayx

bayx Member

Did you end up replacing your OEMs with the Nexen N'Fera RU5 265/45R20 108V XL BSW Touring tire? If so, what do you think? Any negatives when you don't use these instead of the OEMs?

16. lonnielevi

lonnielevi New Member

@bayx I bought the N'Fera RU5s from Amazon. They are trash. They have flat spots and cause violent vibrations until they smooth out every morning. I returned the first set and the second were the same. I can't speak for other retailers, but don't buy them from Amazon at least.

• Informative x 1
  17. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

I purchased the Nexen tires and used them on my 20" winter wheel set, couldn't have been happier with them (put around 5K miles on them).