Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nexen tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for all-season tires and have not been thrilled with the Continentals.

Has anyone rolled the dice on these Nexen tires? Reviews on Amazon are good but who knows what reviewers are comparing them to and I have not seen much elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NJ4I
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NLP0

I am also considering the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus which seem to be a good value right now as well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9EAS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9GVA

I haven't tried Nexen on my Tesla but I have used Nexen tyres on a Prius and on a Lancia Phedra (an MPV/people carrier). The Nexen summer tyres had noticeably more grip in the wet than the Continental tyres that the Prius came with. Overall, both summer and winter Nexen tyres seemed to perform well - not significantly worse than some of the more expensive names. However, I haven't tried them on a car with as much torque and power as the Tesla.

On my second set of Continentals. First one BLEW out. Massive structural failure and Continental BLEW me off. Never again. Complete new set and now 21,000 miles later I have a tire with 1-2-1. Garbage tires and garbage company. Never again. Put on new Pirelli's for $235 each, about half of the cost of Continental's junk and the Pirelli's have a 65,000 mile warranty. They ride great.
We're happy with the high-mile warranty contintentals. We never get full warranty out of them, though.

I am having to replace tires every year, due to the mileage I put on the car, and I can't swallow 1100 a year for tires. I am looking at the Nexen AU7 tires. I used to have VW Phaeton with Nexen N7000 and they were the best performing tires in regards to comfort and road noise.

I had Nexen tires installed on a GMC Acadia years ago - very happy with them. Way better than the Goodyear Forteras that were OEM on that vehicle.

Zero concerns from me on Nexens - I was skeptical at first, but my local tire shop recommended them and I have to say — they were right.

I put Nexen tires on the X several months ago. I initially did this as a temporary measure until the Goodyear EV optimized tires finally saw the light of day. Well, I won't be getting rid of the Nexen tires, period. IMHO, they are just as competent in daily driving as the ContiSilents they replaced. They are better on wet roads, and I've noticed no increase in road noise inside the vehicle. I feel as if the driving dynamics are a bit better as it relates to quicker acceleration and spirited driving in and out of curves. I drove the ContiSilent tires for a year so I have a basis for my assessment, but I understand that each person has their own opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I honestly don't know how I could go to another more established and popular brand of tire at 3X the cost of what I paid for the Nexens.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle and J__T
I put Nexen tires on the X several months ago. I initially did this as a temporary measure until the Goodyear EV optimized tires finally saw the light of day. Well, I won't be getting rid of the Nexen tires, period. IMHO, they are just as competent in daily driving as the ContiSilents they replaced. They are better on wet roads, and I've noticed no increase in road noise inside the vehicle. I feel as if the driving dynamics are a bit better as it relates to quicker acceleration and spirited driving in and out of curves. I drove the ContiSilent tires for a year so I have a basis for my assessment, but I understand that each person has their own opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I honestly don't know how I could go to another more established and popular brand of tire at 3X the cost of what I paid for the Nexens.

Hi - Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering changing all 4 tires on our Model X with Nexen tires, and was wondering if could share how much you paid for the Nexen tires, and whether you replaced all 4? Thank you

What GEAUXHOOKEM said: the Walmart Nexens are indistinguishable from the OEM Contis in use to me...and a small fraction of the Conti price. And note: the X eats the inside edge of the rear tires...I thought my tires were a little past half life based on what I saw at 30K...until I reached around and felt the exposed steel belts on the inside edge of both rear tires. No rubber at all...holy cow! That is one big heavy rig with negative camber in back...Basically, I am guessing rear tires are good for 25K if driven gently....

I just swapped to the Nexens over the OEM. I have to say they ride much better along with being much quieter IMO. I'll give an update when I've had them on there for a few months. With installation, I paid 738, compared to 1500 I paid for the last set.

I just swapped to the Nexens over the OEM. I have to say they ride much better along with being much quieter IMO. I'll give an update when I've had them on there for a few months. With installation, I paid 738, compared to 1500 I paid for the last set.

Would you be able to provide us an update on the Nexus please? How do they hold up on the MX and would you have rather paid over a $1000 for the OEM Conti's from Tesla? Thank you.

Hi - Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering changing all 4 tires on our Model X with Nexen tires, and was wondering if could share how much you paid for the Nexen tires, and whether you replaced all 4? Thank you

Did you end up replacing your OEMs with the Nexen N'Fera RU5 265/45R20 108V XL BSW Touring tire? If so, what do you think? Any negatives when you don't use these instead of the OEMs?

I had a loaner MX from the Service Center this week and it had a set of 20" Nexens installed. I was impressed by the smooth quiet ride and surprised by the fact this was the Service Center's car, not Enterprise. If they ride that well, I wouldnt hesitate to trade out the Continentals the next time. Glad I got to experience them on a different MX than my own,

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: bhorn and IdaX
I'm looking for all-season tires and have not been thrilled with the Continentals.

Has anyone rolled the dice on these Nexen tires? Reviews on Amazon are good but who knows what reviewers are comparing them to and I have not seen much elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NJ4I
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6NLP0

I am also considering the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus which seem to be a good value right now as well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9EAS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9GVA

If you're going with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, don't put 265s on the front - they are only H rated and you will notice the difference with a vehicle this heavy. After A LOT of discussion with my local tire shop we realized that the 275s will fit on the front rims. I was concerned about rubbing / chaffing, but was assured they should fit and the technician would confirm before returning my car. Just to be sure I checked myself and there is plenty of room ( I put the car suspension to Low and turned the wheel fully to each side, then got out and reached around to check clearance with my hand. So far so good, they are quiet and grippy and we'll see how the tread does!

Slight variation on the OEs selection I got the Verde A/S Plus II (same issue with the front tire speed rating).

Good Luck!

After A LOT of discussion with my local tire shop we realized that the 275s will fit on the front rims. I was concerned about rubbing / chaffing, but was assured they should fit and the technician would confirm before returning my car. Just to be sure I checked myself and there is plenty of room ( I put the car suspension to Low and turned the wheel fully to each side, then got out and reached around to check clearance with my hand. So far so good, they are quiet and grippy and we'll see how the tread does!

Slight variation on the OEs selection I got the Verde A/S Plus II (same issue with the front tire speed rating).

Good Luck!

@kkarlin So by putting 275s on all four corners of your MX, are you saying that you're able to a) now rotate all 4 tires since they're no longer staggered, and b) no rubbing on the fronts? Any complaints from the car's electronics? Not sure if 275s fit would differ from one tire brand to another, but should that work with all brands such as Contis, Michelins, Pirellis, etc? Leaning towards going with Michelins and maybe I'' consider going with 275s all the way around. Thanks.