Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Car options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently leasing a Model 3 SR+ and collected the car in November 2019, I extended the lease for 1 extra year last year due to increased lease prices.

I’m now looking at options for my next car and have considered a PCP rather than a lease with the option to buy the car and had discounted a Tesla and others due to the high prices. I have test driven the Renault Megane and the Cupra Born, both have larger batteries than the current car I drive, but both were just okay and lacking many things I’ve become used to in the Tesla, the performance was not good either.

As Tesla have now reduced the prices and lowered the interest rate on PCP agreements, I thought I would test drove a Model Y LR. I really like the way the car drove, the hatchback and higher seating position and the improved build and tech over my current car.

I’m very close to putting an order in, but do not want the new car until late in the year, as I would have to incur penalty payments for returning the lease car early. If I ordered the car now and delayed collection, would Tesla still honour the current price and the interest rate on payments?

I currently leasing a Model 3 SR+ and collected the car in November 2019, I extended the lease for 1 extra year last year due to increased lease prices.

I’m now looking at options for my next car and have considered a PCP rather than a lease with the option to buy the car and had discounted a Tesla and others due to the high prices. I have test driven the Renault Megane and the Cupra Born, both have larger batteries than the current car I drive, but both were just okay and lacking many things I’ve become used to in the Tesla, the performance was not good either.

As Tesla have now reduced the prices and lowered the interest rate on PCP agreements, I thought I would test drove a Model Y LR. I really like the way the car drove, the hatchback and higher seating position and the improved build and tech over my current car.

I’m very close to putting an order in, but do not want the new car until late in the year, as I would have to incur penalty payments for returning the lease car early. If I ordered the car now and delayed collection, would Tesla still honour the current price and the interest rate on payments?
Perhaps pricing may soften further, especially now that some companies like Ford have also reduced prices? From what I have seen, there are no longer long delays between ordering and delivery, so Tesla may be reluctant to allow continued deferrals of delivery. Interest rates are a different ball-game - think BoE might want to nudge rates higher unless inflation falls to below 5% by Easter.

From my limited knowledge, I believe TESLA are normally reluctant to hold back on orders. I think they want to fulfill them and move on as soon as they can. Have you asked TESLA how long they would let you delay a future collection?

Best to just order closer to the time you need it, production is only increasing so the long waits of the past are pretty much over.
Im not so sure. 12 month plus wait was not unknown way pre covid for some ice cars. EV's are still a very small portion of new (never mind over all) cars on the road and there will be some sweet deals coming up for ice and small battery hybrid on lease etc as the 2030 deadline approaches (if it goes as planned)... I think we will have another or several other spikes imho but none the less I think the next 7-10 will be interesting for sure.

Best to just order closer to the time you need it, production is only increasing so the long waits of the past are pretty much over.
I was considering that, but other manufacturers have waits of over 12 months and don’t want to be without a car. The APR is currently fixed at 3.9% which seems pretty good, not sure what it was previously but it was about 5.9% it’s still a saving of over £1600 which would offset the penalties if I returned my car early.

Sales rep told me to get the 3.9% APR you have to take delivery before end of March... but you have 120 days (i think) after having finance approved until the agreement gets renewed so unsure what would happen if you have the finance agreed at the end of march

Reactions: boombap

historically Tesla will put orders on hold and let you keep the price at time of order for long periods. The interest rate I am not so sure about. That seems unlikely. I imagine the finance offers have an expiry date. The current offer is dependant on collecting before the end of March I think?
It seems unlikely the base price is going to go up any time soon as things stand.

I was considering that, but other manufacturers have waits of over 12 months and don’t want to be without a car. The APR is currently fixed at 3.9% which seems pretty good, not sure what it was previously but it was about 5.9% it’s still a saving of over £1600 which would offset the penalties if I returned my car early.
I thought you have to pay the full remaining months of ur lease period which will be around £4500-£5000 for a SR. Are you sure your calculations are correct? I mean in terms of savings?

I thought you have to pay the full remaining months of ur lease period which will be around £4500-£5000 for a SR. Are you sure your calculations are correct? I mean in terms of savings?
As part of extending my lease, I reduced my annual mile limit as i was quite bit under due to home working, this reduced the monthly payments. So worst case scenario would be 9 monthly Payments * 40%.

• Helpful
Reactions: spdpsba
Yeah but other manufacturers don’t have 2 million vehicles worth of battery supply and production capacity for 2023 either.

I’ve now placed an order on Tesla Y LR, which is due between 15/2 and 2/3, with the recent price reduction and the lower APR it’s seems like a reasonable deal. The VIN number is now showing in the account, hopefully I can delay to March for pick up for a 23 plate.

I’ve now placed an order on Tesla Y LR, which is due between 15/2 and 2/3, with the recent price reduction and the lower APR it’s seems like a reasonable deal. The VIN number is now showing in the account, hopefully I can delay to March for pick up for a 23 plate.
What you do is say "Hey Tesla. I am not collecting until March" that usually works. You can call them or just reply to one of their text messages.

Reactions: JP1611
What you do is say "Hey Tesla. I am not collecting until March" that usually works. You can call them or just reply to one of their text messages.
And Tesla allows you to do once officially so no harm done!

Reactions: JP1611