Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen. Model S P100D vs. Next Gen. Roadster

Next Gen. Model S P100D vs. Next Gen. Roadster for future purchase

• Next Gen. P100D (or even P120D?)

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Next Gen. Roadster

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the option, what would you choose? If next gen. Roadster is expected 2019 or 2020, I think redesign Model S will be around the same time.

I have been saving separately for Model S P version but then the next gen. Roadster looks very enticing too.

I think both will have superb performance. My guess is next generation roadster will be slightly faster than P100D (or P120D or higher battery). Or will it be drastically faster than Model S?

Will you guys keep the current Model S and get Roadster, or will you guys continue the Model S legacy?

I'm not sure where the Roadster 4.0 / Model R sits in Tesla's plans these days.

Model 3, Model Y, the Semi, the machine that builds the machine, all suggest a level of disruption far beyond what can be achieved with another low-production-volume, two-seater which would only offer a USP of maximum plaid and a bit more luggage space. (Why would you want to turn on Autopilot in a sports car?)

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but we may get to see a working Lotus submarine before we see a new Roadster.

Porsche Mission E could end up being the next EV for me. Of course I will give Tesla a fair shake, or even more than that, as I like Tesla cars. So let's see what Tesla has to offer (and to test drive since I don't trust any Tesla specs anymore) at the time Mission E comes out. :)

Tesla should fix the MX offroad capability

Exactly what part? Seems from tests I have seen it is highly capable offroad for what it is meant to be. The suspension travel and clearance would not make the X a Jeep replacement, but for most cases where you would take it offroad it performs really well. Also in the video you posted they do show a clearance potential issue with the steering, which is not surprising. I would also just change the tires from the standard rubber to something better suited to the situation, like the mud and the X would perform even better.

Sports cars made sense when that was the only way to get decent performance. Now with the Model S providing all the zip you can possibly use on the street, the only reason to get a sports car is to project the image of a "sporty guy". Why else would you sacrifice the comfort and practicality of a 4 door sedan?

Sports cars made sense when that was the only way to get decent performance. Now with the Model S providing all the zip you can possibly use on the street, the only reason to get a sports car is to project the image of a "sporty guy". Why else would you sacrifice the comfort and practicality of a 4 door sedan?
For getting around and straight line performance I would agree. But if you really want to push cornering or even maybe take the car to a track day then you really need something that is better tuned for that. They could fix some of this by bringing back the + suspension for the S but I think it's more likely that they differentiate and make two cars, one that is luxurious and still very quick and another that is lighter and more nimble.

Porsche Mission E could end up being the next EV for me. Of course I will give Tesla a fair shake, or even more than that, as I like Tesla cars. So let's see what Tesla has to offer (and to test drive since I don't trust any Tesla specs anymore) at the time Mission E comes out. :)

That would be interesting match between Mission E and Model S down the years. Tesla seems to have advantage because the cars are already out in the street whereas Porsche has to play the catch-up game.

No supercharging on mission E. That would rule it out for me.
I absolutely agree that is a huge Tesla advantage. Let's see how long they hang onto it, which is until they open it to other manufacturers, even with a fee, or until another charging network catches up or offers something better (800V charging?). There are less than 400 superchargers in the USA. If someone like GM or Ford wanted to catch up, they could catch up fairly quickly for what $200M? Not pocket change, but also not insurmountable obstacle.

So now that Roadster is releasing in 2020, how many of you are leaning toward?

As a single dude, I don't really need 5 seats, and I like the new Roadster design and performance.

Roadster is still more expensive than P100D, but my feeling is that most of you readers here seem married. So, would you still choose P100D?

I absolutely agree that is a huge Tesla advantage. Let's see how long they hang onto it, which is until they open it to other manufacturers, even with a fee, or until another charging network catches up or offers something better (800V charging?). There are less than 400 superchargers in the USA. If someone like GM or Ford wanted to catch up, they could catch up fairly quickly for what $200M? Not pocket change, but also not insurmountable obstacle.

Thought I read somewhere that Superchargers cost somewhere around $1M each, so probably more like double your estimate if true. Isn’t that about what VW is supposed to be spending in the US after Dieselgate?

Thought I read somewhere that Superchargers cost somewhere around $1M each, so probably more like double your estimate if true. Isn’t that about what VW is supposed to be spending in the US after Dieselgate?

Probably more like $150K at each location for the engineering drawings, digging, electrical, lights, paving, striping, etc.
This would be typical for relatively standard charging station with 6 to 8 stanchions using standard electrical power available from local utility company.

Local permitting and architectural elements such as wood or brick enclosures/screens around electrical equipment racks/towers would have separate impacts on costs.

Any structures with foundations, roofing, solar panels and batteries would certainly add to the cost.