Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently I am waiting for my vin for April 18 order in a Bay Area 7 seater.

Next year I am thinking to trade in my odyssey 2020 and purchase second model y 7 seater but for that second Y I would like to have gen 2 with a new battery and made in Austin.

should I order now and lock the price and FSD 10k before increase and put my hold until they start with that new model from Austin?

will Tesla honor current price and let me hold my order up to they start production in Austin probably mid 2022?

Congrats on the order -

I am in the same boat - there are changes coming, but it seems that there will always be the 'next' thing as Tesla keeps moving and advancing quickly.

I have heard/read others that put an order on 'hold' which keeps your fee $100 and place in line. The hold seems to be mixed between, maybe 6 months to a year, so your mileage may vary. On the Prices, I have also heard/read that the prices at 'order time' will remain and be 'locked in' - but if the prices drop they will honor that - but that could just be a myth, so get in now and hold if you don't want to take your order until you are ready.

Side note - I am not sure you can 'pick' your location for where the car comes from, and there are rumors that some cars might already have 'different' / New batteries, so who really knows. -- check out this link 2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

My thoughts -

1. We might not get the full picture of what will or will not be coming until it hits, yes there are comments/tweets about only 4680 battery will come out of TX. - no set date on when the first car will come out of that factory (or I count not find one).
2. I want to move now and enjoy the current MY (when I get it :) ) - as mentioned iteration(s) move quickly on the Tesla floor.
3. Resale has been really good, so if you want to get in now, then sell in ~1 year, then you get to enjoy the ride now/soon.

In the end, do what is right for you / your family.

Last edited:
Congrats on the order -

I am in the same boat - there are changes coming, but it seems that there will always be the 'next' thing as Tesla keeps moving and advancing quickly.

I have heard/read others that put an order on 'hold' which keeps your fee $100 and place in line. The hold seems to be mixed between, maybe 6 months to a year, so your mileage may vary. On the Prices, I have also heard/read that the prices at 'order time' will remain and be 'locked in' - but if the prices drop they will honor that - but that could just be a myth, so get in now and hold if you don't want to take your order until you are ready.

Side note - I am not sure you can 'pick' your location for where the car comes from, and there are rumors that some cars might already have 'different' / New batteries, so who really knows. -- check out this link 2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

My thoughts -

1. We might not get the full picture of what will or will not be coming until it hits, yes there are comments/tweets about only 4680 battery will come out of TX. - no set date on when the first car will come out of that factory (or I count not find one).
2. I want to move now and enjoy the current MY (when I get it :) ) - as mentioned iteration(s) move quickly on the Tesla floor.
3. Resale has been really good, so if you want to get in now, then sell in ~1 year, then you get to enjoy the ride now/soon.

In the end, do what is right for you / your family.
Yea, I agree with Tdeno, why deny yourself. Enjoy it now. When technology catches up and you want to upgrade, the Y will retain its value, so your trade in value will be plentiful.

Obviously, the longer you hold onto your cars, the more it makes sense to take this type of thing into consideration. But if you change cars every 2-3 years (not usually smart financially, but it’s just the cadence a lot of people are used to), it really doesn’t matter. By the time you’re really in the depths of FOMO, it’s time to get a new car anyway.

Reactions: Glenn T and tdeno
I'm wondering why anyone would expect any manufacturer to honor the price of a 1st gen when the 2nd generation is released? That makes no sense to me, maybe I'm misreading the question.

I'm wondering why anyone would expect any manufacturer to honor the price of a 1st gen when the 2nd generation is released? That makes no sense to me, maybe I'm misreading the question.
This was a big thing with the Model S/X refresh. A lot of people placed reservations for the earlier gen S/X at the earlier prices, hoping to get grandfathered in. When the refresh was announced at $10K more, there were a lot of people upset their reservation at the lower price didn't translate over, even though Tesla is (supposedly) offering a $2000 discount to reservation holders prior to the announcement, which I thought was a nice gesture. They could've just said "we don't sell that model anymore" and cancelled those reservations.

Keep in mind though, this is completely different than placing an order for a MY now, then getting the same car that you'd ordered delivered in 3-4 months when the going price is then a couple thousand more (which is what I expect might happen in my situation)...

@Diorama what I remember reading is that Fremont will still continue making MY for the western states while TX will supply the eastern part of the country. I don't recall hearing a specific cutoff point, but I'm pretty sure given that you're in Cali, you would most likely continue to get a MY sourced out of Fremont even after Texas goes live.

should I order now and lock the price and FSD 10k before increase and put my hold until they start with that new model from Austin?

will Tesla honor current price and let me hold my order up to they start production in Austin probably mid 2022?
You are assuming that the Austin model will be the same model... I'm fully expecting that a next gen Y with new batteries will be offered as a LR+ or Performance+, making it so if you order a MYLR or MYP, it will not be the Austin model with new batteries.... Because, even if they were offered as the same model, it would probably be software locked to match current performance, becuase they are still going to be making Ys in Fremont until they transition those... So it would be a crapshoot on whether you get a fremont or austin model, unless the models themselves were different, ie LR+/Perf+/etc.

Alternative suggestion- If you are one who has to have the latest thing offered, then why not lease it? That way you will have the newest car out in a couple years. Leasing is really more expensive in the long run. But if what is out now will satisfy, just buy it and enjoy.
Good point - and agreed - Leasing might be an option to get in now at the current price and enjoy the car. Then when the lease is up return it.

The only item to remember is FSD $10k (or up to $14k as some have said it) stays with the car, not the person. (side note, there are others that have said a 'monthly rate' tied to the person, not the car might be coming as well -- again who knows what 'might' happen)

Looking back at the question: holding the price at [today] costs, then setting up a HOLD on the MY with 10K FSD -- I have seen others that have mentioned that they have requested to the Sales to honor price changes over time, but again miles may vary.

@Diorama -- looks like you have placed the order and as mentioned and will try the Hold - so if it does not work out then you might only be out the $100 fee - if possible keep us posted :)

Not sure that matters since it is monthly, like the premium connection service which is monthly.
based on my understanding: FSD is a one-time buy and then tied to the car - currently, the cost is 10K. There have been several mentioned / rumors about FSD going monthly/pay as you go - I am not talking about the Connectivity charge (free for the 1st year), but rather the FSD.

AKA Pay-as-go-subscription for the self driving package

Here are a few links, just search for tesla fsd monthly subscription

C’mon folks, the OP is talking about awaiting delivery of a MY now and trading a DIFFERENT car in and buying a second (Austin) MY at a later date.

I’d hold off ordering that second one until you know a little more about how it’s going to work, and until we know they are shifting 100% of the US MY production to Austin. There is also no guarantee that the price you order at today will be locked in with a significantly different car. They can always change their practice. Just my .02.

Reactions: Diorama and tdeno
I thought about the same thing (except the FSD).

As for FSD itself, it has such a long way to go. Tesla has lied about it so many times, they just keep repeating the lies. It should have been named "Fool Self Driving" by now. I really wanted to like it and buy it but after playing with it in the demo cars, and with some features really half baked, I don't want to drop 10k in Elon's piggy bank for something that shouldn't cost anywhere near that for the actual functionality you get.

I'd just wait for the subscription and test drive it for a while and see if it gets any better.

• Funny
Reactions: tdeno
C’mon folks, the OP is talking about awaiting delivery of a MY now and trading a DIFFERENT car in and buying a second (Austin) MY at a later date.

I’d hold off ordering that second one until you know a little more about how it’s going to work, and until we know they are shifting 100% of the US MY production to Austin. There is also no guarantee that the price you order at today will be locked in with a significantly different car. They can always change their practice. Just my .02.
That is correct, first one we are buying still waiting, question was for a second car not as a replacement for the first one. I do not care about 100$ for the second one. Funny thing is that the second one is now showing same estimate 8 to 27 June as a first one even that I did not complete all the steps and even that order was made few days ago so I had to call them and ask them to put in on hold still do not see it on system. This second one is just like a placeholder not sure if I would go for it, still like odyssey’s 8 seats and big trunk

That is correct, first one we are buying still waiting, question was for a second car not as a replacement for the first one. I do not care about 100$ for the second one. Funny thing is that the second one is now showing same estimate 8 to 27 June as a first one even that I did not complete all the steps and even that order was made few days ago so I had to call them and ask them to put in on hold still do not see it on system. This second one is just like a placeholder not sure if I would go for it, still like odyssey’s 8 seats and big trunk
Hmm -- interesting on the date estimate... best of luck :)