TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by PatD, Jan 14, 2015.

1. PatD

PatD Member

#1 PatD, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    Anyone else notice the Design Studio no longer has next gen rear seats?

Maybe this is in another thread (Buried deep about the next gen seats), but I can't find it.

Was playing with the design studio today and when you switch to next gen seats, the rears don't change. I was in a MS last week that had the front next gen seats, and I asked the sales rep (Before we got to the car) if it had the rears. He said yes. I told him I was surprised as I hadn't heard anyone having the rears yet. When I got in and looked at the rears, they didn't LOOK like the next gens shown online. Didn't have the high head rests or the big bulges between the seats. But they also didn't look like the original seats either.

Maybe Tesla did away with the CRAZY next gen rear seats? And just did a mild upgrade to the rears for all cars?

Mod Note: Threads merged. Please see Post #12 for word from Tesla.

2. frosken

frosken Member

3. PatD

PatD Member

Duh - why didn't I think to look there? :)

4. joer00

joer00 Member

I do have the NG seats front and back, so it seems they have this solved now.

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Yes they solved it by putting in the old seats and still asking the same outrageous price for just Next gen front seats.
    The first picture is the new configuration. Notice the old vertical stitching. The second picture are the previously advertised "Next Gen" seats.
    So it looks like they are weaseling out of replacing the rear seats for those who already took delivery of their P85D with the old rear seats.

Attached Files:

6. joer00

joer00 Member

I said I HAVE the NG seats in the back. Pics:

IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Joer00, you are one of the lucky ones.

8. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Actually even more than you think. As someone else pointed out in another of the threads on the subject. Even the PDF for your order has changed to this new/old combo... however, my price has been reduced as well by $1000.........

-------------------------------update---------------------------------

I would rather have the exec back seat and now my P85D has just finished production.... So hopefully can retrofit or have to cancel and re-order.... I guess i might be looking at May delivery instead of currently end Feb..... :-(

9. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

Price reduction due to having the premium interior-package?

10. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Price reduction due to, I guess, no longer getting the next generation back seats......!!

11. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Awesome, you have Pearl White with all black interior? Like it? Any pics showing the two together from various angles by any chance? I personally don't like multicolor interiors, and black is the only choice for that at the moment, right?

12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

#12 MarcG, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    I called Tesla Ownership on 1/14/2015 at 9:45 am PST regarding the fact that next-generation seat option is no longer showing the rear next-gen seats on the configurator (see before/after pics below).

Apparently, due to some feedback from existing owners of the next-generation rear seats, Tesla has decided to discontinue them for new orders starting this week. It sounds like Tesla is saying that people have been complaining about them, but I'm not so sure about that.

So, if you have next-gen rear seats, can you please post your feedback here?

Thanks!
    -Marc

BEFORE (front & back):
    Interior view.png

AFTER (front only):
    Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 10.10.06 AM.png

13. McMuggets

McMuggets Member

Strange. Here in Canada my order confirmed before the change to seats occurred. My PDF docs remain unchanged so I guess I am still going to get the Next-Gen seats in the back too. Yay.

14. fviken

fviken Member

Based on info from a Norwegian DS, this is due to customers complaining that the rear seats do not fold as flat as the FirstGen seats. According to the DS, all customers that have ordered NextGen seats will be asked if they want to keep them or not.

My initial impression is to keep the seats, as the difference in "flatness" seems minor and is not a key issue for me. However, if there are other problems related to comfort etc. I might change my mind.

So, before deciding on this, please give your impression of the NextGen back seats. Any feedback is very welcome!

In all, very strange behavior from Tesla, as the NextGen fronts and FirstGen back seats do not really match. Also the ones now shown are the "old" FirstGen seats with the small head restraints. Also I thought the larger head restraints were needed to pass the 5 Star NCAP security test.

15. Txy

Txy Member

The price is the same here in the Canadian designer page as it was with the recaro rear seats, while the photo no longer shows them in the back :(

16. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Well I know there were concerns about ingress and egress with the seat bolstering as well as the larger headrests on top of them not folding flat. I wonder what happens in the firm if a credit for those of us that ordered the next gen but didn't get them versus people that got just the fronts?

17. hhh

hhh Member

They need to make all front seats delivered in all Teslas "next gen" and remove the insane price for upgraded seats.

18. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

this. every non-P85D owner shouldn't be forced to suffer with the uncomfortable old seats. the next-gen seats should be standard on all vehicles. I find it ridiculous for them to revert back to the old seats in the rear. now there is a mix of new and old seats - screwed up is what I call that.

19. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Maybe some of the complaints were that the headrests were too tall or maybe the seats were sitting too high when folded downward.

20. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

One of Musk's kids must have not liked them. :rolleyes: