Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curius about what you thought about the i8. Problems? Or just not practical? Or it only get like 5 miles of real EV range? Welcome to the Tesla club :)
I ordered the i8 last September, with a delivery scheduled for May 2015. I liked the Tesla Model S P85+, but fell for the dramatic looks of the i8. I know it divides opinion, but I like it, particularly from the front. The only thing that niggled me about it was the performance, which was no stronger than my 17 year old TVR, in a car that looked like a supercar. When the P85D was launched, I really wanted one, but was quoted July 2015 delivery, when May was already seeming like an eternity! Last week, I checked again regarding the P85D delivery and was quoted June. I then knew that I would be silly not waiting an extra month for the car I know I will probably enjoy more, hence the swap.

Hi, a newbie here and trying to learn as much as I can while I can still change the spec of my car. Until a very helpful Model S owner told me a couple of days ago, I didn't even realise there ever was such a thing as next generation rear seats, as by the time I designed a car they weren't shown. The only thing that niggled me about the seats, was how flat the standard rear bench looks, which I think is out of place in a high end luxury car. I'm going for the executive seating option and living with the fact that I get one less seat and that they won't fold. As someone who has bailed out of an i8 build to join this party instead, I figure I'm still gaining a massive advantage over what I was going to get in the practicality stakes anyway and I think the centre console in the rear really finishes the car off and gives it a cockpit feel. If I hadn't read on here about the different design of the executive rear seat to the front, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, as to me they are a completely separate entity.
By the way, slightly off topic I know, but I am HUGELY excited about this car! :)
How flat the standard rear bench looks was my opinion exactly. I have only owned Lexus over the past 20 years and my current 2013 ES interior creamed the Tesla standard... until now. Finally there is a luxury option for this magnificent car!
Go for the Exec. rear! Call em up, get it changed, you won't regret it. While your at it, tell them to put the steering wheel on the left where it belongs :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I have been given the option to upgrade to executive seats as well. I just received the call in the last 30 mins.

Dvc,
What did you decide to do?

NextGen rear seats are back in design studio

That's great. I guess they realized that 1000x more people were pissed about the removal (because to everyone else it was obviously an extremely poor decision) than maybe the one or two complaints about it not folding flat they got. They jumped the gun too quick on that one. Now only if they could add the cup holder cinchers back, then they would become usable again.

I confirmed my order two weeks ago when only the next gen front seats were available. I was given the option today to add the next gen rear seats to my order and just added after going here to check for the (non) issues of fold down flat and headrest visibility.

On a related topic I initially ordered with 21" Summer and 19" Winter wheels. After reading other forum members experience I cancelled the 21" last week and went back to 19" All Season and 19" Winter. I will swap out the Michelin All Season for Michelin PS3 to have real Summer and real Winter wheels.

The wealth of information on this forum is invaluable for newbies like me. Thank you for sharing.

NextGen rear seats are back in design studio

I learned something else tonight. Tesla made a design change to the cushioning material in the bolsters. They now use a softer foam in the area where the top and bottom of the next gen seat bolsters meet so that the folding flat issue is no longer an issue. I think most people will be very happy about this improvement and the subsequent return of the next gen seats in the back. Thank you Tesla!

Just got my D yesterday, I like the rear seats, seem comfortable enough, folded down enough for me to put 4 19" winter tires in with room to spare. Won't be folding them much more not as the 2 and 5 year old want to drive in Daddy's new car... car seats LATCH in well BTW
IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

Just got my D yesterday, I like the rear seats, seem comfortable enough, folded down enough for me to put 4 19" winter tires in with room to spare. Won't be folding them much more not as the 2 and 5 year old want to drive in Daddy's new car... car seats LATCH in well BTW

Thanks for the pics! The one on the left side of the pic looks like a Britax. Marathon? Does its base fit between the two bolsters or does it end up squeezing them?

On a related topic I initially ordered with 21" Summer and 19" Winter wheels. After reading other forum members experience I cancelled the 21" last week and went back to 19" All Season and 19" Winter. I will swap out the Michelin All Season for Michelin PS3 to have real Summer and real Winter wheels.

Wondering what you mean by "swap out." I also have the Michelin All Season, unused, but mounted on wheels, but might be interested in summer tires instead, since I have the winter tire package.

Thanks.

I learned something else tonight. Tesla made a design change to the cushioning material in the bolsters. They now use a softer foam in the area where the top and bottom of the next gen seat bolsters meet so that the folding flat issue is no longer an issue. I think most people will be very happy about this improvement and the subsequent return of the next gen seats in the back. Thank you Tesla!

Did you hear anything about a design change to the headrests to improve visibility? Also as for the design change concerning the bolsters, what, if anything, do you know about the timing of it with respect to cars in production and cars still due seats?

Wondering what you mean by "swap out." I also have the Michelin All Season, unused, but mounted on wheels, but might be interested in summer tires instead, since I have the winter tire package.

Thanks.

I am getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 from TireRack and will have them installed on the 19" wheels that come with the Michelin Primacy. Like you I also ordered the winter tire package so don't have a need for all season tires. Much better to have max performance tires for Summer and dedicated winter rubber for Winter.

I am getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 from TireRack and will have them installed on the 19" wheels that come with the Michelin Primacy. Like you I also ordered the winter tire package so don't have a need for all season tires. Much better to have max performance tires for Summer and dedicated winter rubber for Winter.

Ah, OK.

So you're just selling (or already sold) the Primacy's then? You didn't work anything out with Tesla or TireRack or anything along those lines?

Did you hear anything about a design change to the headrests to improve visibility? Also as for the design change concerning the bolsters, what, if anything, do you know about the timing of it with respect to cars in production and cars still due seats?

I have no other info but my car has been in production since January 15 and I would not be surprised if the back seats have something to do with the unusual long production time. Maybe Tesla is currently waiting for a new batch of improved seats to arrive? For me the headrests are fine the way they now are. Given the acceleration of the P85D, you want to have good headrests for additional safety in the back.

I have no other info but my car has been in production since January 15 and I would not be surprised if the back seats have something to do with the unusual long production time. Maybe Tesla is currently waiting for a new batch of improved seats to arrive? For me the headrests are fine the way they now are. Given the acceleration of the P85D, you want to have good headrests for additional safety in the back.

Thanks.

Yes, no question about wanting good headrests. I was just hoping that perhaps Tesla had come up with a way to give us good head rests and improved visibility at the same time. For example, people have talked about sliding headrests, that could slide down and out of the way when not in use, as a possibility. So I was just wondering if you had heard anything along those lines. I understand that you haven't, but it would not surprise me if at some point the next or the next next Next Generation seats have some sort of visibility improvement.

Now that I think about it, are the next gen seats from Recaro?
I don't think I have seen Recaro seats with sliding headrests. They always seem to be an integral part of the seat structure.

Can the display of the rear camera be used instead? And how about a display screen instead of a glass in the rearview "mirror"? That would be cool.

I got the call from Tesla in California today asking whether I wanted the standard rear seat or next gen. I was explained that next gen has better support, slightly higher headrests, and fold down to about 7% incline whereas the standard seats fold completely flat.

That's not true of my "standard" non-next gen leather seats. I can't wait to get my seats replaced with the next gen ones. Did they give you an ETA?

It sounds like they are building his car, so his ETA would be whenever his car is supposed to be ready. Even if there is a delay again now due to limited availability of Next Gen rear seats, they wouldn't be telling customers with cars in the build process about it at this stage.