Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have official communication from Tesla regarding what will be delivered to the P85D owners (such as me) that are waiting on Front and Rear Next Generation seats?

I agree that the next Generation fronts with the either the newer (big headrest) rear seats which I have now will look mismatched. I would like the option provided to me personally to have the Next Generation fronts with the 2 Seat Executive Setup in the back.

They executive and next gen seats have different stitching, next gen horizontal and executive vertical. Strange

Not a big fan of changing PDF's, should just update with a new one as these are legal documents.

And on top of that, changing legal documents behind our backs without authorization is probably illegal.

They didn't change any legal documents. As Danal has already pointed out the View Design button generates a PDF every time you click on it. The View Design button replaces the ability to edit the design once you have confirmed. The PDF it generates is not a legal document, it's just something handy for you to look at and see the design of the vehicle once the configuration interface is gone.

The real legal document is the Vehicle Configuration that is included in the MVPA by reference. That document is the first page of the PDF you get when you click on the "Model S Order Agreement" link under "My Documents" on the My Tesla Dashboard. There is no pictures in this document.

So no Tesla didn't change any legal documents.

Im not at all worryed - Tesla have always keept promises - so just be calm, its a nice compagny and every emplyee wil do it's best to satisfy you :)

I wouldn't assume that everyone will just get what they ordered. Not that long ago Tesla made people change their orders if they had black roofs, green or brown paint on an 85D or a 60D. If you expect the next gen back seat I'd be communicating that to Tesla now.

I received a phone call about my P85D re-order concerning the rear seats a few hours ago. They gave me the option of keeping the next gen rear seats or switching to the older style and keeping the next gen seats for the front only. I wanted a day to think about it before I let them know. Also my order isn't finalized yet.

By the way isn't it a bit hard to see out the rear window with the taller middle headrest on the next gen rears? Hopefully someone with a P85D with the new seats can post a picture so everyone can see how the view looks. Thanks!

I received a phone call about my P85D re-order concerning the rear seats a few hours ago. They gave me the option of keeping the next gen rear seats or switching to the older style and keeping the next gen seats for the front only. I wanted a day to think about it before I let them know. Also my order isn't finalized yet.

By the way isn't it a bit hard to see out the rear window with the taller middle headrest on the next gen rears? Hopefully someone with a P85D with the new seats can post a picture so everyone can see how the view looks. Thanks!

I thought someone above posted these photos already (or perhaps in another thread). Also didn't someone post the "new-old style" seats which showed taller headrests even on this old version? Aka they revamped the old style to have taller headrest too so it doesn't matter if you choose old vs new you'll have taller headrests on both?

After reading some of the posts about the stitching being different I just let my DS know to put me down for full next gen. Don't want a mismatched car when it comes time to resell.

Did you get confirmation on that? Did you already sign a Purchase Agreement with the old pricing in it?
Hmmm.. no I didn't but will look into that.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have official communication from Tesla regarding what will be delivered to the P85D owners (such as me) that are waiting on Front and Rear Next Generation seats?

I agree that the next Generation fronts with the either the newer (big headrest) rear seats which I have now will look mismatched. I would like the option provided to me personally to have the Next Generation fronts with the 2 Seat Executive Setup in the back.

According to my DS, if you ordered next gen rear seats you can still get them as an option or take the premium. I did ask about exchanging for the executive seats in the rear and offered to pay for them but they are not retrofittable on the Model S.

I have the next-gen rear seats and I can say that the taller head rest doesn't bother me in the least. When driving forward it doesn't block so much that can't see what's behind and when backing up I have a camera (that now has parking guidance lines) that does the work for me. As far as the seat folding goes, I posted pics of that on the P85D Order Tracking thread back on Dec 27th. I do not find any issue with these seats nor have the few passengers that I have had sit in them.

Hmmm.. no I didn't but will look into that.

- - - Updated - - -

According to my DS, if you ordered next gen rear seats you can still get them as an option or take the premium. I did ask about exchanging for the executive seats in the rear and offered to pay for them but they are not retrofittable on the Model S.

Yours is already built right? Do you know what you are getting yet? Probably not, I think my DS was saying they typically don't know until the car shows up.

I guess I'm a little confused. For those of us who ordered NG (front & back) and got delivered front NG only with a promise to "fix the back later when back NGs become available", does this promise still hold?
When is this swap going to happen and who do we need to contact? (I was hoping they'd contact me rather than me calling regularly to find out)

-- Greg

I guess I'm a little confused. For those of us who ordered NG (front & back) and got delivered front NG only with a promise to "fix the back later when back NGs become available", does this promise still hold?
When is this swap going to happen and who do we need to contact? (I was hoping they'd contact me rather than me calling regularly to find out)

-- Greg
FWIW (I think we're all really guessing but we collectively have a few snippets to work from):
You should still be offered the NG rear seats but if you decide to take the previous version seats you will not get any money off. My understanding is that there is a calling campaign in motion that should eventually lead to a phone call from someone. You can obviously call your DS too but I'm not sure if they are empowered to do this or not.

I had my summer tires in the rear with the seats folded down. They all fit and the seats went down fine with me 6'2" tall able to go back where I needed with extra room. I can see it blocking some view of the rear but for me its at the same points near the rear pillars. The only thing I saw that could be an issue was the middle bolsters were a little squished after having the summer tires in there for 4 days. But they rebounded back after a few hours.

I too got a phone call from Tesla this morning asking me if I would like to keep the next gen rear seat or not. (Ordered a P85D with next gen seat)
Apparently they are counting how many more next gen rear seats they are going to order for those who have already ordered the next gen seats.

Seems to me that the wise choice is to say yes and keep the next gen rear seat; if I change my mind afterward (before production starts of cause), I don't see any reasons why I can't fall back to the old seats as it is only the next gen rear seats that are going out of production. They can always keep that next gen rear seat that I give up as maintenance spare, or for those who decided to opt for the old seat but change their mind and want the next gen rear seat back.

Isn't there a back seat 1.5 as well? Are they moving back to that one or the original one? Or is the 1.5 EU only?
With 1.5 I'm referring to the non-NG back seat but with higher head rests in the rear (side positions only). I've seen pictures of it from a swedish owner.

Yours is already built right? Do you know what you are getting yet? Probably not, I think my DS was saying they typically don't know until the car shows up.

Yes, it's built and my DS indicated I would not have next gen seats yet (front or back) however I have also heard that they may not actually know and that is the standard response. Car should be in Vancouver today or tomorrow and I'll ask him to open the door and send me a quick photo or two. I don't like surprises on delivery day - we knew the sex of both of our kids as soon as it was possible! :)

The problem with ordering a new car is that all the new options keep changing. My previous experience with BMW was somewhat easier as they change once per year. With Tesla, it feels like every 2 weeks you hold-out you could be seeing some significant changes to the vehicle (D announcement, heated wheel, next gen seats, exec seating, etc.). Fortunately the software updates will keep us happy for the most part but man, all these hardware changes are difficult for those of us who want the latest-and-greatest! Maybe time to go on a Forum hiatus for 2-3 years LOL.

I already cancelled the first vehicle I ordered back in Sept over the first seat fiasco. The rebuild is preparing for delivery as we speak. If that vehicle does not have next gen back seats, I am done with Tesla......Never owned one, but is really awesome to drive and fun to play with. However, I am not paying a premium price for for poor communication. You think they would have learned something over the first seat fiasco. Unfortunately they either haven't learned their lesson or could care less what customers think.

"If that vehicle does not have next gen back seats, I am done with Tesla"
I get your frustration.
I have always had bolstered seats and ordered next generation in mine.
It arrived with old style front and back. I was disappointed.
After driving it 3 weeks I still want the new seats, but just having the car to look at and drive is more important.
It's a total blast to drive seats or no seats. Don't throw that baby away.

Well said Vitamin...new seats or old, this car is without peer! ...

I get your frustration.
After driving it 3 weeks I still want the new seats, but just having the car to look at and drive is more important.

I get your frustration.

Cushier seats or normal seats in the back can't stop me from wanting to drive this beast. I don't even have my P85D yet and I fully agree with you. Well said.

While it stinks that there are no "performance rear seats," I think a lot of people are crying over spilled milk. Those bolsters in the rear really don't do much and impedes if you have 3 sitting in the back. We all know being the middle guy would suck -- don't even try to refute this. You have to have an extremely slim frame for the middle to actually matter. If anything I'd rather have Tesla install "Oh S*it" bars to have people get ready for the D acceleration.

Also in terms of cost $3500 is still a good deal for the front seats you get. I'm not entirely sure what everybody's background is with cars but Recaros (confirmed when people looked at the mfg. stickers) are expensive. we're talking ~2000 a seat expensive for buckets that are cloth only.

I upgraded to a D from an early p85+. I did luck out and get delivery of Next Gen seats front and back. I sit in the front always --- usually in the drivers seat. I like the front seats enough that I would have paid the upgrade cost for just the front seats, I believe they are that big an improvement. It does leave a bad taste to get less for the same money, but Tesla does change pricing all the time, as long as they offer the option of the back Next Gen seats to everyone who ordered when they were available I don't see an issue. Unfortunately I know first hand how aggravating it is when Tesla removes a previously listed option without a change in price. With my first Tesla the Tech package when I ordered had fog lights which were deemed useless at the time and removed from the package without compensation. Even though I use fog lights less then once a year I was still annoyed, human nature, or at least my nature i guess.
My impressions of the Next Gen back seats:
1) The rear vision which was never great, is more restricted with the Next Gen seats then the old seats in my p85+ due to the higher headrests, but I can't comment on how they compare to the newer performance seats now being placed in cars. For me I always used the backup camera and side mirrors, I have two teenage sons and as they have grown the height of the old headrests was a concern from a safety standpoint. I am happy with the tradeoff given the camera, sensors, and hopefully future auto pilot features. In an ideal world there would be a cutout in the headrests or the middle headrest would be removable as I only have two kids, so the middle seat is usually empty, but overall I am happy with the trade off of headrest safety for visibility.
2) My kids like the comfort of the Next Gen seats better then the old performance seats. With the recent attention I also have spent a few minutes in the back seat which is more time then I spent in 20 months in my P85+, in this short test I like the seats as well. So in my family we all agree that we like the Next Gen seats better from a comfort standpoint.
3) We do fold down the seats frequently, but I must not be very observant. I sold my P85+ several weeks ago without having the cars side by side I probably would not have noticed the difference in the folded position, I think the Next Gen seats have a little more of a bump when folded, but to my eye and for our needs (skis, snowboards) there is no difference.
4) Future wear, I have to think that the bolsters will wear more then a flat seat. The car is probably driven 70% of the time with one or two people. The back seat is used occasionally and the middle seat even less frequently so this isn't a huge issue. Even if it the back middle seat had constant use the comfort, safety, and appearance I would still choose the rear Next Gen seats.
I really like the Next Gen seats both front and rear. I am definitely keeping mine. Are they perfect? No, but overall I am really happy. Will Tesla improve the seats? Almost definitely, this being Tesla they are always tweaking stuff and changing things on a weekly basis. When will they make the change? Everyone knows the answer to that --- Soon. Of course we all know how Tesla defines "soon". Is it worth delaying a purchase to wait for the new and improved new seats? Not for me, but everyone has different priorities, I think the only thing the could sway my opinion of the rear Next Gen seats would be if I was still dealing with baby seats. I remember how much of a pain those could be and if the bolsters made compatibility difficult then maybe I would opt for the performance rear seat.