Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do your car show the next gen seats in front & "old" type rear on the order confirmation (PDF)?

My P85D (currently in production) will be delivered with front & back next gen seats. I received confirmation by phone from Tesla European HQ. In the "Model S Order Agreement" document (the one containing the full price and without pictures), there is no separation between front & back seats. It just says "Black New Gen Seats". In the "View Design" pdf, the one that is generated on the fly, I get the picture with the old type seats at the back. This is because, on the website, there is no longer a picture available with the next gen seats in the back. You should not worry about that if you have ordered next gen seats all the way.

As others have mentioned, the folding down height difference is quite small. For me having seats with the same "horizontal design and bolstering" front and back is much more important.

My P85D (currently in production) will be delivered with front & back next gen seats. I received confirmation by phone from Tesla European HQ. In the "Model S Order Agreement" document (the one containing the full price and without pictures), there is no separation between front & back seats. It just says "Black New Gen Seats". In the "View Design" pdf, the one that is generated on the fly, I get the picture with the old type seats at the back. This is because, on the website, there is no longer a picture available with the next gen seats in the back. You should not worry about that if you have ordered next gen seats all the way.

As others have mentioned, the folding down height difference is quite small. For me having seats with the same "horizontal design and bolstering" front and back is much more important.

I got "the call" yesterday about the next-gen rear seats from Japanese SC.
DS says the rear seat angle when folded is less than 10 deg. So, my order was continued to the next-gen rear seats.
I took the order confirm PDF when I ordered at web. So, I can look the next-gen rear seats.

So we had our club meeting tonight and did some direct comparisons of the next gen rear seats versus the newer old style rear seat.
I can say that they were more comfortable to sit on although I could see some larger people having issues with the bolsters.
There still was confusion about the headrests, the outboard headrests on the next gen almost touched the headliner but the old seats did not. The size looked the same so we were puzzled. I think the reason that happens is the next gen is on more of an angle. Can a couple of you check the angles of your seats? The middle headrests looked the same size but the next gen looked closer to the headliner too. This could impact on visibility.

I just got "the call" today for my Australian P85D order. The guy on the phone acknowledged that the difference in fold-flatness is minimal, and there was no mention of headrests. I was told that I could keep my order as is, switch to standard rear seats without refund, or upgrade to executive seats. I opted to stay with the next-gen.

This is the first post where I've seen the offer to upgrade to executive seats. Has anyone else been given this option?

We looked at two cars side by side last night at our club meeting...it is very difficult to tell, but, I understand that Tesla is saying that they are the same height...I did find the Next Gen rear seats more comfortable and better looking (my opinion)...

Add me to the list of customers that received the call asking if I wanted the next gen rear seats. I was called yesterday afternoon. I asked why some customers didn't like them and he said all complaints centered around how flat they fold. He said the head rests are the same height as the other seat options so that was not an issue with any customers.

FYI, I confirmed my order Jan. 13.

Seems to me that Tesla had no idea how many people would order the next gen seats which is about 95% of P85D orders. Instead of admitting that they mishandled this assumption they are now falling back on this "seat laying flat problem" excuse that no one seems to have a problem with. They should really just admit whats going on and reduce the price of the nex gen seat package going forward, I'm sure no one would fault them if they did so, these things happen.

Did you trade in your P85 to Tesla? I'm about ready to trade my S85 12/26/2012 and was pretty disappointed at the low value as the car has every option other than P.

it sucks but it takes a long time to sell a used Tesla, the market isn't that strong right now. If you do not need the money quickly then sell it or self or trade it in if you do not want the hassle.