Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually even more than you think. As someone else pointed out in another of the threads on the subject. Even the PDF for your order has changed to this new/old combo... however, my price has been reduced as well by $1000.........

-------------------------------update---------------------------------

Not a big fan of changing PDF's, should just update with a new one as these are legal documents.

The rear seat issue is going to get me to cancel my P85D as silly as that sounds. I am not paying $3500 for front seats only and the only reason I can justify ponying up for the P85D is the next gen seats. Obviously a bit of rationalization but this seat things has me wondering about Tesla and their decision making.....

And I certainly am concerned that the price will get reduced right after I purchase and I would be annoyed. No way am I going to risk being annoyed....

I don;t think anybody should not get the NG back seats based on the "folding issue". I do not see any difference between the old and the ones. The folded down seats where always higher than the trunk. I realized that badly when I tried to sleep in the trunk ! Again here is a photo of my NG back seat folded. Go out to your car and let me know if that looks different !

IMG_0333.JPG

I do not see any difference between the old and the ones. The folded down seats where always higher than the trunk. I realized that badly when I tried to sleep in the trunk !

yea I tried to do that once (for other reasons HAHA) and noticed that it was definitely not flush - it was def angled a bit upwards. from your photo, I can't see how that angles any different. looks the same to me.

Old performance seats were quite nice, and loved them - both front and back, so they are absolutely fine seats. Back seats could tough have been more reclined by an inch or 2.

Im going to hold on to my next gen rear seats order - lay flat or not doesent matter.
I paid extra for the next gen seats and I will not accept mixed stitching front to rear, and the new next gen back seats are like a 3 seat executive in comparingson to the old style rear - my kids will love it.

Next gen rear and front is the only combination where stitcing match front and rear. even the new 2 seat executive rear have "old style" stitching and will not match next gen front seats.
Even if they offered me executive back seats instead at no extra cost, I wouldent take it as they look different.

Old performance seats were quite nice, and loved them - both front and back, so they are absolutely fine seats. Back seats could tough have been more reclined by an inch or 2.

Im going to hold on to my next gen rear seats order - lay flat or not doesent matter.
I paid extra for the next gen seats and I will not accept mixed stitching front to rear, and the new next gen back seats are like a 3 seat executive in comparingson to the old style rear - my kids will love it.

Next gen rear and front is the only combination where stitcing match front and rear. even the new 2 seat executive rear have "old style" stitching and will not match next gen front seats.
Even if they offered me executive back seats instead at no extra cost, I wouldent take it as they look different.

I totally agree, NielsChr. Don't understand that Tesla simply updated the pdf behind the View Design button on confirmed orders. And all this without informing us. Hope it is just a bug in the UI and that we will still get next gen seats front and back as expected.

Ok the thing that pisses me off about the whole "no more next gen rear seats" is that once again, just like the cup holder cinchers, the complaints of a few outweigh the needs of the many. A few complaints sparked Tesla to totally discontinue the brand new next gen rear seats and revert to a mixed combination of next gen front seats and old gen rears seats??? I have a really hard time believing that is the truth. Honestly thinking about it, nobody in their sane management mind would make that decision. I'm calling BS on Jerome here. I would believe something more like "it wouldn't pass safety tests" or "the higher headrest view obstruction would reduce safety rating" or "it doesn't work with or fit baby seat regulations" or just anything more believable than "it doesn't fold down all the way". I think we're getting some BS excuse and they aren't telling us the truth.

And on top of that, changing legal documents behind our backs without authorization is probably illegal.

(fyi I don't have anything on order, I love Tesla but I am just as offended as anyone else on this matter...as it just doesn't seem "right")

This is starting to look like a joke! I feel like Tesla is dragging me around by the nose with their vehicle upgrade policy. Can´t help wondering what they´re going to launch alone in the next six months. At least I now have a legal reason to cancel my P85D order and get a ful refund of my down payment. Keep the old one and see what´s up in a years time. Maybe a model S with option for great X seats?

I don't believe they updated any PDFs because I don't believe they store the PDFs themselves.

Playing with the URL and the web site and response time and more, I believe they generate the PDF every time you click the button. Furthermore, the internal "metadata" inside the PDF shows a create date/time stamp that matches California time for when you click the button. Each time.

I further conclude that the photo of the rear seat did not "Change" for people's committed orders... it is simply being pulled from the photo file on disk each and every time we click for a PDF.

Therefore, we need someone at Tesla to officially state the status of existing, pending, orders. Do we get the Next-Gen rear seats or not?

Im not at all worryed - Tesla have always keept promises - so just be calm, its a nice compagny and every emplyee wil do it's best to satisfy you :)

They will likely offer you the next gen OR the performance style at your choise. and as Danal says, the pdf are a online version fetching the picture realtime - don't put to mutch into the content of the pdf. If you do, download it and save it localy (call it a software bug on the website)

I do not think its a joke - its a wise descision made to make shure new orderes are delivered with what they can deliver - no reasoon to promise/show new orders next gen backseats if they can not supply the demand and will deliver with performance style. - I do not see why they should inform me of changes affecting orders made tomorrow - only if they change my order, wich I belive they have not done yet.

Strange. Here in Canada my order confirmed before the change to seats occurred. My PDF docs remain unchanged so I guess I am still going to get the Next-Gen seats in the back too. Yay.

You should check your pdf again. I'm assuming people mean the document that appears when I select "Design" for my car? Mine now shows the mixed seat configuration which I believe is what other people are seeing. This is a bit alarming. I'm hoping this is because the design doc gets auto generated using images from a common source that has now changed. My car is just in assembly today so its anyone's guess what I get.

The rear seat issue is going to get me to cancel my P85D as silly as that sounds. I am not paying $3500 for front seats only and the only reason I can justify ponying up for the P85D is the next gen seats. Obviously a bit of rationalization but this seat things has me wondering about Tesla and their decision making.....

And I certainly am concerned that the price will get reduced right after I purchase and I would be annoyed. No way am I going to risk being annoyed....

You are not alone, these are my feelings exactly. I'm not taking mismatched seats, and a big part of my ordering the P85D, or buying new all together vs buying pre-owned, was the next gen seats. If I don't get them I may cancel and buy a cheap S85 while Tesla figures things out.

Does anyone have official communication from Tesla regarding what will be delivered to the P85D owners (such as me) that are waiting on Front and Rear Next Generation seats?

I agree that the next Generation fronts with the either the newer (big headrest) rear seats which I have now will look mismatched. I would like the option provided to me personally to have the Next Generation fronts with the 2 Seat Executive Setup in the back.