Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having issues putting child seats to the NG seats? Looks like the bolsters may cause an issue that angles child seats.
Would be interested to know the same. A thread on the norwegian forum discusses the 1.5seats and their new headrest causing big issues with child seats for older children.

Edit: had actually forgotten the pictures just a few posts above.

I learned something else tonight. Tesla made a design change to the cushioning material in the bolsters. They now use a softer foam in the area where the top and bottom of the next gen seat bolsters meet so that the folding flat issue is no longer an issue. I think most people will be very happy about this improvement and the subsequent return of the next gen seats in the back. Thank you Tesla!

I just received my call. My order was placed 1.5 weeks ago when only the front NG seats were available in design. Not yet confirmed. The rep I spoke with didn't mention this but DID mention a 7% "incline" when folded so they will NOT fold flat he said. So not sure who to believe, but fyi for anyone else in the same boat.

It sounds like they are building his car, so his ETA would be whenever his car is supposed to be ready. Even if there is a delay again now due to limited availability of Next Gen rear seats, they wouldn't be telling customers with cars in the build process about it at this stage.

That's exact. My car is not built yet, expected delivery end March only.

I did specifically ask whether opting for the next Gen rear seats would delay my delivery and was told that it would not, "if there is a delay it will not be because of the rear seats". So basically a very non committed answer.

Did anyone see they are now back to normal on the order page? Very odd.

pK4vXcW.jpg

Did anyone see they are now back to normal on the order page? Very odd.

Not odd at all (Well, odd we went through this, but. . .) As of this past Friday, next gen rear seats are back on. Tesla said they received enough people stating they wanted matching seats, etc., that they've put the next gen rear seats back. If you order next gen, you get front and rear next gen seats. Order standard seats, get standard front and back. That's that. Anyone that RECENTLY ordered is getting the phone call others got when they originally got rid of the NG rear seats asking what you prefer. I'm in that list of people and got my call today; will most likely switch to NG rear seats since I can now.

I just received my call. My order was placed 1.5 weeks ago when only the front NG seats were available in design. Not yet confirmed. The rep I spoke with didn't mention this but DID mention a 7% "incline" when folded so they will NOT fold flat he said. So not sure who to believe, but fyi for anyone else in the same boat.

The Tesla person that gave me the info said they received it in an internal memo. My car has just completed production. It'll have the next gen seats at the back and incline or not, these are the seats I want no matter what. :smile:

OK, so hoping to not beat a dead horse, but I'm trying to figure out the seats here.

My understanding (And from what I've seen in pictures), the most recent STANDARD rear seats all had the lower/same level headrests and no bulges. See below - this is a photo from design without the NG seats -

GreyStandardRearSeats.JPG

However, I've now seen several P85Ds without NG seats, but the rear seats have the higher/staggered head rests and ever so slight bulges. What gives?

My understanding (And from what I've seen in pictures), the most recent STANDARD rear seats all had the lower/same level headrests and no bulges. See below - this is a photo from design without the NG seats
However, I've now seen several P85Ds without NG seats, but the rear seats have the higher/staggered head rests and ever so slight bulges. What gives?

The design studio depiction is not accurate. Since late last year all rear seats have the larger staggered head rests. It's best to go by the photos you've seen of the actual standard rear seats that have been delivered. The small, same-sized rear head rests are no longer available, even though they are depicted that way in the design studio.

The design studio depiction is not accurate. Since late last year all rear seats have the larger staggered head rests. It's best to go by the photos you've seen of the actual standard rear seats that have been delivered. The small, same-sized rear head rests are no longer available, even though they are depicted that way in the design studio.

Ahhh, perfect - exactly what I was looking for. So it SOUNDS like the only difference between the NG and standard seats are the laying flat issue, which it sounds like most people say ISN'T an issue as the standard seats don't lay flat either. Sounds like there's really no reason NOT to get the NG seats (I have the option right now. . .) Thanks!

So it SOUNDS like the only difference between the NG and standard seats are the laying flat issue, which it sounds like most people say ISN'T an issue as the standard seats don't lay flat either. Sounds like there's really no reason NOT to get the NG seats (I have the option right now. . .) Thanks!

The visual differences between the next gen and the "normal" back seats are bolstering and horizontal stitching (next gen) vs vertical stitching (normal). The next gen seats are a design improvement IMO.

Was out at my local SC today to look at the one car they had with NG rear seats. It was full of wheels as it's going to Russia! The seats were VERY flat with all that weight, but I was hoping to sit in the rear seats.

Anyway, called the mall up the road as they have a store there and also some cars you can drive. Was hoping they'd have one. Nope - the rep informed me the rear NG seats were discontinued, so they won't be getting any. Yeh, time to work on those communication skills, Tesla! :) I had to teach your rep today!

When I placed my order on 1/17, the Next Gen rear seats were not being offered. Called my advisor a few days ago to confirm if Next Gen rear seats were being offered again and now I got them. They even updated my interior photo in My Tesla with the Next Gen rear seats. I grabbed a snapshot of it just in case my car is delivered without them.

I like my next-gen rears. Saw some other peoples cars without them and I must say I would prefer the next-gens over the flatter look. There is no problem with child car seats either. They look more matched to the next-gen fronts.
I do not think my car, which is in transit will have it. It is crazy that a car in this price range would not have matching front and back seats. IMHO.

Was out at my local SC today to look at the one car they had with NG rear seats. It was full of wheels as it's going to Russia! The seats were VERY flat with all that weight, but I was hoping to sit in the rear seats.

Anyway, called the mall up the road as they have a store there and also some cars you can drive. Was hoping they'd have one. Nope - the rep informed me the rear NG seats were discontinued, so they won't be getting any. Yeh, time to work on those communication skills, Tesla! :) I had to teach your rep today!

This is another indicator that a new interior is coming. It makes no sense to have non-matching seats.

Just picked up my P85D two days ago at Fremont. I drove it for a day before realizing my back seats matched the next gen front seats. After reading the posts here and looking at the design tool online it didn't appear that I would get the next gen back seats. Did they quietly redesign the back ones and put them back in production?

Just picked up my P85D two days ago at Fremont. I drove it for a day before realizing my back seats matched the next gen front seats. After reading the posts here and looking at the design tool online it didn't appear that I would get the next gen back seats. Did they quietly redesign the back ones and put them back in production?

On-again off-again on-again off-again on-again