Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Roadster concept rendering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this one:

Tesla-Roadster-2019.jpg

Well, it depends. If they want to do a roadster, something along those lines would not be bad (though such a long trunk doesn't make much sense technically speaking). Also, the seats are sitting too low to use the same flat battery system as the other cars, they would need to carve out holes for the seats.
OTOH, I would hope if they do another sports car they would do a supercar (e.g. something with the power of a p100D Ludicrous, but half the weight would likely be the fastest car on the planet). It is a hard challenge as it would likely need a gearbox (you can't be very efficient with a single gear that goes all the way up to 200mph) but given the price range in which it would be competing it could be a real money maker.
And I know, Tesla's objective is to make cars for the masses, but they will already achieve that with the Model 3, so they could likely go for pure profit (and fun) on the next car.

In the last shareholders meeting, Elon talks in length about the early days of Tesla and the development of the first gen roadster. He said that his two favorite cars are the McClaren F1 and the 911 and looked to those two in designing the first roadster.

Even though Franz is head of design now, I'm sure Elon would want the next roadster to pay some homage to the first gen roadster with elements of modern day 911s and McClarens. If it had a 4 seat configuration, AWD, convertible hardtop and 0-60 in around 2.5 seconds, that would be one beast of a car. And if they can keep the price close to the S/X, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested (including me)!

In the last shareholders meeting, Elon talks in length about the early days of Tesla and the development of the first gen roadster. He said that his two favorite cars are the McClaren F1 and the 911 and looked to those two in designing the first roadster.

Even though Franz is head of design now, I'm sure Elon would want the next roadster to pay some homage to the first gen roadster with elements of modern day 911s and McClarens. If it had a 4 seat configuration, AWD, convertible hardtop and 0-60 in around 2.5 seconds, that would be one beast of a car. And if they can keep the price close to the S/X, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested (including me)!

McLarens F1 and Porsches 911 have very little in common, when it comes to sportscars. But I guess it will either be a supercar, or a GT. So one of those two, F1 or 911/Mercedes SL

I also dislike when "unofficial renderings" of convertibles only show the car with the top down. It's hot that hard to make a convertible look good with the top down. The art is making a convertible look good with the top up.

Do it right, and you get the BMW 6-series convertible.

Do it wrong and you get the Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible.