TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next gen Roadster

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by dsm363, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Does anyone expect the next version of the Roadster to include a few features to make people fit into the car a little better like moveable steering column and seats? A slightly taller windshield would help taller drivers too.

Dave

2. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

Although I'd love to see a next-gen roadster, I'd be surprised if Tesla rolls one out before the model-S gets into
    production. Something like a larger windshield would entail a major redesign; if they do make some improvements
    to the roadster, my best guesses would be:
    1. changes to reduce mfgr cost of the PEM and battery pack.
    2. upsell option of using higher energy-density cells / longer range.
    3. up-to-date airbag leveraging off of work done at Lotus
    4. Any misc changes Lotus makes to the platform that are easily ported including tilt steering, etc.
    5. electric power steering.

3. mt2

mt2 Member

#3 mt2, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Agreed. They don't need the revenue burn of redesigning the Roadster yet.

4. dsm363

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. It looks like the 2011 Lotus Elise will be slightly bigger so maybe they'll use that.

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

Except only like 10% of the car is based on the Lotus and Tesla said it plans on moving it to the skate platform after they get that completed (the Model S is going to be their first car on the skate platform and the rest of their cars will all be built off of that).

-Shark2k

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Evora? A Tesla big brother.

I talked to Franz about it. He agreed that Lotus ripped off the Tesla's styling but conceded that they would never admit it.

7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#7 stopcrazypp, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    To be fair, wasn't the design exterior styling originally done by Lotus (there was a styling contest if I remember correctly)?

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yes Barney won the design contest but it's still a ripoff.
    The Tesla Roadster - All-electric Sports Car

9. Lancelac

Lancelac 2010 Roadster Sport #690

I hope they don't ever add power steering to the Roadster. I realize that it makes certain aspects of everyday driving more difficult, but the feel for the road is so much better without power steering. That's the reason that Ferrari, Lotus, etc. leave it out also. I do think the Roadster could do with a better turning radius, but that has nothing to do with power steering.

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I agree. The Roadster steering is better without power than it would be with. Save power steering for the big cars that need it.

11. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I feel that a few improvements will make it into the Tesla Roadster 3.0 but I think the ultimate factor will be weight conservation.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I anticipate that Roadster 3.0 will be:

#1: Larger both inside and out.
    #2: More luxurious and comfortable.
    #3: Weigh more.
    #4: Be slightly less sporty. (Probably power steering, higher off the ground seating position.)
    #5: Easier to enter/exit.
    #6: More refined, less "raw".

Fans of pure sports cars may be disappointed, but Tesla would likely find a larger potential customer base since it would be more mainstream with more comfort and luxury.

13. dsm363

I don't even have my "old" 2.5 yet=) I can see how a slightly larger car would attract a much bigger customer base though. They also need to get the price down below $80,000 I think starting price.

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Agree TEG...aim the product at the "luxury performance crowd" rather than the pure performance market...more refined by "easier ingress / egress" and a more roomy interior / ability to accomodate "larger occupants" would go a long way to increasing the size of the prospective market pool of this vehicle...but TM needs to be careful not to go overboard on luxury at the expense of performance...just a slight tweaking required...a tightrope to walk I think...TM should consider some focus group input imo, especially from the current Roadster ownership pool.

15. csummers

csummers Member

I could be wrong but since Roadster production will end next year (2011), I doubt there will be a 3.0 release.

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I'm pretty sure they mean the Roadster that is going to be designed and produced by Tesla after the model s launch, MY 2013.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Maybe it is a matter of semantics, but when I responded to comments about "Roadster 3.0", I was basically talking about something others might call "Model S Cabriolet". Basically the next gen based off the Model S "Skateboard" was proposed to include an open top version, perhaps with only 2 seats, or some Porsche style vestigal rear eats.
    tesla-roadshow.jpg

18. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I think Musk said at one point that he wants the next Roadster to be a "Porsche Fighter" that would have a small back seat similar to the 911s.

I honestly hope that if Tesla decides to put power steering into the Roadster 3.0 that they make a variant that is similar to the current Roadsters, i.e. small, no power steering, etc.. I would love to see them also make it a bit lighter which very well could happen with the advances in battery technology.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, I would like that too, but I think their direction is more luxury, more features, not more "back to basics".
    I bet the battery improvements get offset by other weight additions.

20. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

I agree with PopPmith and hope Tesla will keep this basic driving.

When I bought my roadster I thought of the basic driving as a compromise
    for driving a electric car with a range about 300 km. But now, after
    I have driven my first 10.000 km I want to have it this way. ( and my wife too:cool:)

But there is something I would really like to have : A software switch for a harder
    regen braking so I could get faster through small twisting country roads without touching the brake pedal.:smile:

Perhaps activated with a hidden button.:cool: My wife and I have a competition, the one who hits the brake pedal more often has to pay for lunch or coffee at the next stop.:biggrin:

And a little more comfort for getting in and out would be acceptable, as everyone
    I'm getting older...

BTW : I think it's called sports car because you get athletic over the time when you have to get in and out. Perhaps calling it an athletic car
    would be more appropriate ?:confused::smile: