Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the skateboard design, if/when the roadster transitions to it would be such a good thing
1)more room obviously! Not only for a biggger trunk, but for more "luxury" features like a power retractable roof!
2) improved range! If tesla shares the same battery packs across the all the lines (model s, model x, and roadster), then the possibility of having a 300 mile model s pack in a roadster that weighs 1,000lbs less! How much range would be gained?!?

2) improved range! If tesla shares the same battery packs across the all the lines (model s, model x, and roadster), then the possibility of having a 300 mile model s pack in a roadster that weighs 1,000lbs less! How much range would be gained?!?

If they use the skateboard chassis for the roadster, It should weigh more that the current generation roadster.

If they use the skateboard chassis for the roadster, It should weigh more that the current generation roadster.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I never compared the weight of current gen roadster to the next gen roadster. I was comparing the weight of a Model S (with a 160, 230 and 300 mile range) and the next gen Roadster (using the same pack, with less seats, doors etc).

any idea when the roadster replacement will be available? 2013? 2014?

I think in the Q4 investors conference call (which took place in mid February this year), Elon said that it would be at the very earliest, one year after the Model S went into production, making it Mid-2013 at the earliest. Does anyone else remember hearing this?

EDIT: After reviewing the transcript, I must have read / heard about that somewhere else. There doesn't seem to be any mention of it there.

Last edited:
I have no idea what they plan, but I am guessing that they might make something much bigger, sharing components with Model S.
Maybe something more like this size:
2007-Jaguar-XK-Convertible.jpeg

or this:
2011-bmw-m6-convertible-black.jpg

I also heard that it would be bigger, and more comfortable. AWD possible as an option, but RWD standard. Elon said that it would be more of a competitor to the 911 Turbo.

Here's one article I found:

REPORT: Next Tesla Roadster aims at 911 Turbo with AWD and usable space Autoblog

from there:

Although we've known for some time that Tesla plans to base future models on the Model S platform – ranging from a base model to a full-fledged GT – the automaker's been tight-lipped about the specifics of future sports cars. However, Musk let it slip during an interview that a 911 Turbo shares a space in his garage with a Roadster, and he loves its ability to schlep the kiddies to school in its diminutive back seats. Inspired, Musk said that the next Tesla sports car would be a 2+2, boasting 10% more room for rear-seat passengers and 50% more trunk space than the 911, along with all-wheel drive. Additionally, the Model S' flat architecture means that styling won't be completely influenced by the drivetrain, allowing for "greater functionality with avant garde, aggressive" styling. Although this new coupe's future is largely dependent on the success of the Model S, if Tesla can keep the lights on and continue R&D, we might see the GT as early as 2012 or 2013.

OK, by "GT" in the last sentence, do they mean a new roadster, or a performance version of the Model S?

...OK, by "GT" in the last sentence, do they mean a new roadster, or a performance version of the Model S?

Kinda a trick question. Yes it is a Roadster since it's a sports car and new by not having anything to do with the Lotus derived platform. And since it uses the "skateboard" from under the Model S and Model X, one might say that it is a performance version of the model S. Though from the description I don't think much of the actual Model S bodywork would apply.