Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It largely depends on Tesla's goals with the Next Gen Roadster. If it is going to be a supercar killer on the order of $1 million, then yes, this might be true that it needs better top speed.

However, if it is going to be a premium roadster/convertible 911 competitor, then a high top speed isn't necessary. It just needs to perform well at legal speeds. The original Roadster had a top speed of only 125 mph.

Yah that's why I sent you that link, because the top speed is higher, like the Tesla might be quicker of the start but this porshe would have 100% torque available at 0 RPM just like the Tesla, so it will beat the Model S in a 1/4 mile...(not sure about the Roadster since it would be lighter...)
It's just depend what you want...If top speed is important than I'm not sure the Tesla way will work out for that, at least not for the next 3-5 years...

It largely depends on Tesla's goals with the Next Gen Roadster. If it is going to be a supercar killer on the order of $1 million, then yes, this might be true that it needs better top speed.

However, if it is going to be a premium roadster/convertible 911 competitor, then a high top speed isn't necessary. It just needs to perform well at legal speeds. The original Roadster had a top speed of only 125 mph.
But to me the model s already does that. To me if they want to do that just upgrade the model s and don't wast the money. The model s is already the car that performs well a legal speeds. As I pointed out in a hard acceleration run you would max out right after the quarter, that's bad. The second gear also helps the post 90 acceleration.

Ya 125 is trash. A Chevy Cruze can do that.

But to me the model s already does that. To me if they want to do that just upgrade the model s and don't wast the money. The model s is already the car that performs well a legal speeds. As I pointed out in a hard acceleration run you would max out right after the quarter, that's bad. The second gear also helps the post 90 acceleration.

Ya 125 is trash. A Chevy Cruze can do that.
The S is extremely different from the Roadster. Even though the low battery helps center of gravity, the car is still essentially a full size sedan and will not handle anywhere near the Roadster.

Basically if the Next Gen Roadster is positioned as a 911 competitor, I don't really see the same 155mph top speed as the Model S hurting sales.

Reactions: Jaff
Making a transmission for an EV has turned out to be difficult. The instant torque and sudden changes in torque possible with an electric motor wears out a transmission very fast. You can control the performance of the motor to allow a transmission to survive, but you lose a lot of the advantages of an electric motor.

Reactions: Blackout
I agree with everything you said except the part about the next gen roadster being high margins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first Roadster a high margin car because of Tesla's lack of ability to produce key components in house?? If that's the case, then they should conceivably have most of those problems solved with their ability to make their own chassis, bodies, drive units, PCBs, battery packs, and most importantly and most recently, battery cells. shouldn't this all make the next Roadster much more competitively priced??

You seem to be wrong. Not in terms of fact per se. But in reading what's the reason and what's the cause. How I undrstand this is that they needed high margin vehicle to be able to put expensive tech inside it. As well as lacking effect of scale comparing to other auto makers.
High margins are good. This never was intended to be car for everyone. And niche sports cars are high margin per se.

But when we are at it. If they scale production as they plan to over 1milion cars a year in 2020 maybe they can reach demand limit and will need to improve on this side as well. And here having exclusive car which lot of people would love to have could help a lot. And this would pay for itself. Haveing well selling product (even if sales are limited) is not dead cost as in case of promo campaign.

Making a transmission for an EV has turned out to be difficult. The instant torque and sudden changes in torque possible with an electric motor wears out a transmission very fast. You can control the performance of the motor to allow a transmission to survive, but you lose a lot of the advantages of an electric motor.
Rimac did it. Why can't tesla do the same? Rimac did it with just the rear having a second gear. If tesla runs into problems, maybe they could just do that.

I just think a top speed of close or at 200 would be perfect. I am not sure what speed the Porsche 918 achieved on its record run but the 638hp c6 corvette zr1 hit 175 at the nurburgring. I am sure the 918 hit a decent higher speed. It also needs to get to that speed quick and not fall on its face in acceleration after 80-90ish. I know the weight savings the roadster will have over the model s an x will help quite a bit but the second gear could help that post 90 acceleration and the top speed. I can point out many tracks where many cars reach over 155.

Would it be worth having a narrower, taller 'skateboard'? This way you sacrifice a little bit of low CoG but in return get a much smaller moment of Inertia about the vertical axis, which could make ti much nimbler in cornering. I think the Rimac concept one does this, but am not sure how suitable it is to Tesla's cylindrical cell design.

Would it be worth having a narrower, taller 'skateboard'? This way you sacrifice a little bit of low CoG but in return get a much smaller moment of Inertia about the vertical axis, which could make ti much nimbler in cornering. I think the Rimac concept one does this, but am not sure how suitable it is to Tesla's cylindrical cell design.
I would say yes. But it would depend on how much your CoG went up. But if you think about it this would allow the seats and roof line to drop down quite a few inches so that could counter the CoG increase from the battery.

I would say yes. But it would depend on how much your CoG went up. But if you think about it this would allow the seats and roof line to drop down quite a few inches so that could counter the CoG increase from the battery.

Also helps to reduce frontal area and therefore improve high-speed range.
Cooling is another concern though. The flat design is excellent for cooling and this will be even more important in a performance car. You would also lose some torsional rigidity although this is probably a smaller problem.

Maybe there's a good compromise of a skateboard design with a narrow 'tunnel' section in the middle.

Tesla official describes the next generation Roadster as “different, faster and bigger”

“We would have loved to build more, but if no one other than you would be listening right now, then I’d probably tell you that we will manufacture it again. It will look a little different, a little faster and a little bigger”.​

When he says "would have loved to build more," I hope the exec is referring to the first gen roadster (2008-2011) and not the next generation roadster (2019?). If he's referring to the next generation roadster, he's implying that it would be a limited production model and probably with that, a high price tag ($500k to $1 million or more).

The "look a little different, a little faster and a little bigger” sounds all good to me :) I hope it'll have back seats like a 911 :)

But I really hope the "would have loved to build more" part is referring to the previous gen.

Also helps to reduce frontal area and therefore improve high-speed range.
Cooling is another concern though. The flat design is excellent for cooling and this will be even more important in a performance car. You would also lose some torsional rigidity although this is probably a smaller problem.

Maybe there's a good compromise of a skateboard design with a narrow 'tunnel' section in the middle.
Both rimac and Audi in their e-tron and a few other car makers use a central tunnel and a big stack of batteries behind the seats and in front of the rear axle. Whould that work?

On one hand, I don't think making a transmission is so hard nowadays. Yes, the torque and instant acceleration makes it difficult, but with proper electronics you can adjust motor speed on the fly to match gear speeds (and even actual angle) so they do not cause impact. It has all to be designed specifically for the car, so it is expensive, but I am sure it can be done (that sort of control wasn't widely available when the Roadster was launched).
OTOH, if you put two motors with widely different gearing, you probably don't need it. Put the front motor with gearing that's 100% above that of the rear motor and you have significantly faster top speed with only a small sacrifice in acceleration.