TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen Seat Heaters - Worthless

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricTundra, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ElectricTundra

I gave it a week hoping that I'd get use to them. They are quite awful. Both the front 50% and the side bolsters have no heat. The side bolster problem isn't unusual, at least in lower end cars. Having 50% of the front part of the seat remain freezing cold is a problem and something that even my son's VW doesn't have. I checked with a friend who also has the Next Gen and he's experiencing the same problem. He spends most of his winter in Florida so isn't too concerned about it but said that the past week had been disappointing.

I've stopped using them because the difference in a heated rear and freezing front thigh is worse than the entire seat being unheated.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Oh but that heated lumbar really makes my back feel good.

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Worthless is quite the stretch... Could they be improved? Sure, but overall I have no issues with them and I've been using them daily since I got the car on 11/25... Small sample size I know but it never dawned on me that something was incomplete, wrong, missing, etc...

Jeff

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

What nonsense. My Nextgen heaters are perfectly adequate for our frigid 50° winter nights here in San Diego.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

Here is a thermal image of the old seats. Maybe you can get someone wwith a thermal camera to take a photo of the new seats so we can see the difference.

6. ElectricTundra

That's simply cruel :) We'll likely not see anything near 50 until March or April.

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

You know what's worthless? Having a heated steering wheel on a car with lane-keeping autopilot. :p

But, seriously I haven't had any issues with the heated seats with my next-gen seats. Maybe because I find the back of the seat and the lower back to be more important.

I should definitely take a thermal image of it though to see what percentage gets heated.

8. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

+100. Just wondering how they'll be when I travel to 25º temps one day!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree! Sometimes I take AP off if my hands are cold!

9. lucy

lucy bluehair

I've found the seat heat to be ok, granted I've had them mostly on "3" (mostly).
    Plus my big a$$ covers the entire seat, so insulating it and preventing any excess from escaping into the cabin. :biggrin:

That said, I was a little surprised that there were only 3 settings, my last few cars have had much greater adjustability in the heat settings: 0-6...

10. Caligula

Caligula Member

Everything in this car should go to 11.

11. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

I see no problems with the next gen seat heaters. I have been using them for a few weeks now and they seem perfectly adequate to me.

12. Evee

Evee Member

Mine r great!

13. fortytwo

fortytwo Member

I just ran into the same issue today. While I would not call the Next Gen seat heaters worthless, I was a little disappointed today while driving my wife's car with temps in the low 30s. Car had been outside overnight, but pre-heated for 20 minutes. My car has First Gen seats. My wife's car has the Second Gen seats. I have arthritis in my hips, with the most cold sensitive area on the sides of them. In the Next Gen seats the sides of my hip stay cold for a long time while my butt melts. Very uncomfortable. Makes me wonder what I do when I get my MX. Or are those seats heated on thebutt sides as well?

14. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I too had this concern when purchasing this car (delivered 11-30-15). Didn't see much mentioned about the heated seats. Coming from an Infiniti G35 Coupe 2003 model, the heated seats on that car was worthless. My MINI Cooper S Convertible 2006 model low setting was a lot warmer than the high setting on the G35. So I've had less than a day on the car but I did try out the heated seats in a robe (LOL) in the garage with the level 3 setting and it is better than the G35 but I would assume a lot of cars are better than that. It is getting a bit chillier here in NoCal and we're spoiled with good weather and no rain.

Now let me go back and cry about the 1.5" scratch that was on the car upon delivery. I don't see how stuff like this gets by the detailers or whomever they use to inspect the vehicle before delivery. They're planning on trying touchup paint before attempting to repaint.

15. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

If you are coming from BMW the Tesla seats are at least 50% weaker and slower to heat up. I would talk to Service though as there may be a disconnected section in the front of the seat cushion?

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

#16 msnow, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Mine takes about 30 seconds to heat up. Much faster than our Lexus.

17. Caligula

Caligula Member

Still wish we had air-conditioned seats like Lexus...

18. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Agreed, my wife and I had a good laugh about this.

OP: I didn't like the next gens, but the heat on the regular seats is VERY good. I often set it for 3, and when my behind starts burning, move it to 2.

19. skilly

skilly Member

perhaps its the fact that we are in California and they are in Minnesota...guessing the cold bites a little harder over there

20. ElectricTundra

Beat me to it. The other day it was 16f when I left home in the morning. Garage interior was 34f. Going to my next meeting it had warmed to 19f outside. Pre-heating only does so much with seats that start at 19f. A couple of years ago we went about 2 weeks with high temps that never even reached 0f (as in 32 degrees below freezing). I think one of those days the high was about -15f (47 degrees below freezing). Yep, there's a bit of a diff. :)