Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seat Heaters - Worthless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an IR photo of the Next Gen driver seat in my car after a 20 minute drive home on setting 3. Car temp was 43F when I got in, cabin temp set to 74F.

View attachment 102977

The number in the top left, 97.2F is the hottest detected temperature in the center box. The temperature color scale on the right shows roughly the range of temperatures detected in the overall frame.
Thanks. That looks about right. Slightly more than half heated and the front half cold. Very disappointing. The regular seats have a much better heat distribution.

Here's an IR photo of the Next Gen driver seat in my car after a 20 minute drive home on setting 3. Car temp was 43F when I got in, cabin temp set to 74F.

View attachment 102977

The number in the top left, 97.2F is the hottest detected temperature in the center box. The temperature color scale on the right shows roughly the range of temperatures detected in the overall frame.

So it doesn't even get to body temperature????

So it doesn't even get to body temperature????

Well, I had to run upstairs to get the flir and then back down to take the picture. Over the course of the minute or two I snapped photos I watched it drop 4 degrees, so I'd say it runs around 100F at full tilt with a body sitting on it to hold in the heat.

Incidentally, 105F is the recommended max temp according to this cars.com article:
Are Car Seat Warmers Too Hot for Your Own Good?
the maximum temperature a seat should ever reach is 105 degrees. Seats that go beyond this temperature — say 120 degrees — can inflict third-degree burns on their victims in as little as 10 minutes.

We had a Mini...you could fry an egg on the level III setting...anything above 1 was too high.

I have no problem with the next gen seat heaters...they work just fine for me.
You must have a newer model than me. The 2006 convertible version R52 only had 2 settings for heat. Also didn't opt for the leather seats so that could also contribute to better heat. But I do agree the high setting is nice when you do need it.

Alright, in the name of science I went back out with the FLIR and sat in the car for 15 minutes with the seat heaters on 3, jumped up, and immediately took a reading.

And, survey says....

FLIR0263.jpg

The worst heated seats I've ever seen were in a Nissan Maxima. They put the heating element in the middle, so that anytime it was turned on it made the passenger feel like he/she had just wet themselves.

But on a car with an average selling price of over 100k it should not range from "sucks" to "adequate"
So this falls in line with my complaint with the Infiniti G35. Don't know what year you had but I'm sure they share more than a few commonalities between those models.

I think they are very good. But I am in SoCal. So who really knows! I would assume with these, as well as with ventilated ones, that there is obvs a trade-off wrt energy usage. Of course in an ICE, there will be more power to them as there is unlimited dino juice on every corner. I try to use the heat and a/c as little as possible, and rely on mother nature to help us keep cool and warm. However, I am in SoCal and that def helps things. If you are freezing, or more importantly your precious cargo are, you need heat!

I used the old seats last winter, reasonable heating, although not as good as others. I am on next gen seats this winter (Tesla delivered them June). The heating amount is sufficient, but I agree with the OP that the distribution pattern is very annoying. The sensation I have is that something is chilling your front part of the seat (cabin is warm, rest of the seat is warm). I guess this is the famed upgrade to cooled seats :tongue:?

50F in garage this morning. This was taken 2 minutes after starting the seat heater without sitting in it.

img_thermal_1449069283334.jpg

This makes it better than my Lexus SC430 but not as good as the Dodge Durango I once had that would catch your but on fire (figuratively) if you didn't turn it down after a while.

I'm pretty happy with the heaters. Wish I'd gotten the winter package for the rear seat heaters. I didn't realize it was more than steering wheel and cup holders.

Alright, in the name of science I went back out with the FLIR and sat in the car for 15 minutes with the seat heaters on 3, jumped up, and immediately took a reading.

And, survey says....

View attachment 102984

This picture really supports the OP claims and so does my butt.
There are no heating elements in the front part or the side support of the Nextgen seats.
The oldgen seats pictures looked much warmer!
When really cold (32F cold for now and it's only starting), the front portion of these Nextgen seats don't warm up on their own... :frown: