Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seats are very uncomfortable for normal sized drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received our new 90D ten days ago (second Tesla Model S in the family) and drove over 700 miles round trip to Las Vegas. We had thought the new next gen seats were bolstered too high when we were ordering the car and had requested the older seats. We were told that they could not provide the older seats and that the bolstering would soften or 'break down' over time.
Now I can confirm that the extra bolstering for the back and bottom in the name of venting or comfort or whatever else was just bad and not adequately tested by normal sized drivers! I do not have a big seat bottom and I am not tall - and by the end of the first 300 miles to LV I was hurting in the right leg and back from the hard and deep bolstering. It feels worse in auto-steer operation because the driver's leg is less extended (since it is not on the accelerator/brake) and is then feeling the right side seat bolstering. For those taller than me and of normal frame, this will be a bad design. I want these front two seats replaced. Any suggestions and experience with this issue?

Otherwise we love our 2 Tesla's. And the auto-steer is great.

IMG_8258.JPG
Here is a picture of the bolstering and resulting narrow seats.

I had "original" seats from 2012 that I thought were a pretty good fit for my body (6'2"); tried the NextGen (recaro) seats and they always felt too confining/narrow. My new S90D has the "Premium" seats and they are very comfortable so far. I agree with you post, at least the new Premium seats I find to be just right.

Last edited:
Received our new 90D ten days ago (second Tesla Model S in the family) and drove over 700 miles round trip to Las Vegas. We had thought the new next gen seats were bolstered too high when we were ordering the car and had requested the older seats. We were told that they could not provide the older seats and that the bolstering would soften or 'break down' over time.
Now I can confirm that the extra bolstering for the back and bottom in the name of venting or comfort or whatever else was just bad and not adequately tested by normal sized drivers! I do not have a big seat bottom and I am not tall - and by the end of the first 300 miles to LV I was hurting in the right leg and back from the hard and deep bolstering. It feels worse in auto-steer operation because the driver's leg is less extended (since it is not on the accelerator/brake) and is then feeling the right side seat bolstering. For those taller than me and of normal frame, this will be a bad design. I want these front two seats replaced. Any suggestions and experience with this issue?

I have to remove my wallet when I drive as it is too uncomfortable when I drive.
Elon should have hired a Mercedes or Lincoln interior designer to outfit the interiors instead of leaving them stark compared to other cars.

I have to remove my wallet when I drive as it is too uncomfortable when I drive.
Elon should have hired a Mercedes or Lincoln interior designer to outfit the interiors instead of leaving them stark compared to other cars.
That was an intentional design decision, not an omission because Tesla didn't have the right interior designer. The minimalist interior goes with it being a "tech" product. Many of us prefer this style of interior. It's like the difference between a contemporary home and a traditional home.

I had "original" seats from 2012 that I thought were a pretty good fit for my body (6'2"); tried the NextGen (recaro) seats and they always felt too confining/narrow. My new S90D has the "Premium" seats and they are very comfortable so far. I agree with you post, at least the new Premium seats I find to be just right.

I called the seats Next Gen because the salesperson called them that. I think the seats are the Premium seats, see my photo to note the holes in the leather that support the venting. I guess our seats are stiffer and deeper than what you might have received. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks. I did that very thing on my recent long trip - remove my wallet from my trouser pocket to reduce the discomfort from the narrow seat.

I would do anything to have next gens in my 2013. I've been looking salvage FOREVER trying to pick up a pair. If it gets that bad I'll buy them from you/give you my crappy flat 2013's ;)

I may have to come back to you! My gray leather seats in my 2013 S85 are very good and comfortable. Not crappy at all. That is why we want those in the new S90D. But Tesla tells me the venting / heating feature was the reason for the deeper bucket seats in the front. That is not possible with the older gray leather seats.

That was an intentional design decision, not an omission because Tesla didn't have the right interior designer. The minimalist interior goes with it being a "tech" product. Many of us prefer this style of interior. It's like the difference between a contemporary home and a traditional home.

We like the minimalist design too. But truly the older gray leather seats fit that minimalist techie look.

I have a set of the original seats in tan with gray piping. I'll be happy to have you take them off my hands:)

2016 70D with premium leather seats. Took a 4400 mile round trip to Oregon and back to Minnesota with zero issues, driving 12 hours/day with SC stops spaced perfectly along the way. Tweaked the seat tilt and lumbar a few times to get perfect back and leg support. No AP, either. Love the cockpit seats. 5-10", 170 lbs.