TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next gen seats for non-P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Phil K, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Phil K

Phil K Member

#1 Phil K, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Next gen seats for non-P85D now available

This option is now available for simple S85 and S60. Does it mean that they have secured enough supply?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Great news!

3. tri335

tri335 Member

If this is true this may put me over the edge to order up!

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That would be my guess. The Next Gen seats now show as available for any battery size or model.

5. jay-bay

jay-bay Member

Now the question is are they going to allow retrofit?

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    My guess is that if they do allow purchase of the OEM seats to the general public, that they're going to be obscenely expensive (expect $5000+ per seat). If you're interested in getting more supportive / custom seats, we can do something for you custom like we did on our car:

1798935_768055336600674_9180106214188705580_o.jpg

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I asked a while ago and they said no. But I bet that will change, based on all the interest. I agree, they ain't gonna be cheap!

8. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

A new wrinkle from my DS is that in order to change an existing confirmed order that has not yet entered production, you must accept switching your order to the March Pricebook. This means dual chargers, metallic paint and interior decor all go up. It's worth it to me to get the new seats, but it bumps the price again.

9. Coiled

Coiled Member

Bleh. So if you have a confirmed order with those options (like I do), the next-gen seats effectively cost ~$4500 instead of $3500. That might be a little too much for me.

10. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

I'm just glad to have the choice. After trying the standard and next-gen seats side by side, it was almost a deal breaker for me not to get them. I'm happy they provided a path for my priority, but many are perfectly happy without them.

11. Barry

Barry Member

That wasn't the case when I added subzero last month. They didn't charge me the extra 1K for the D, as I paid 4K for it.

Aren't the Nextgen seats on backorder for the P85D? I seem to recall Tesla is blaming the port strike and says they won't have them until May. Seems like an odd time to add demand for them.

If I do change my order and add the seats, will that delay delivery?

12. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

My impression was that this was new policy and surprised my DS, but you should probably contact yours and get the straight scoop.

I suspect they feel confident that they will have seats enough for all orders by May. What happens in March/April? TBD

13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Is it just my ipad being wonky or are the cloth seats no longer available?

Never mind. It was a rendering issue. They're still there.

14. fadkar

fadkar Member

I'd totally pay the extra for the seats. Seats are one if the most important aspects of the interior and in the case of the Model S, they make a huge difference.

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I don't know if 'backorder' is the right term: new builds get the Next Gen seats if they've been ordered, but I'm waiting for Next Gen seats for a P85D I took delivery of in 2014, and don't expect to see them before late May.

16. Barry

Barry Member

Just got an email back from Tesla on upgrading the seats on my 85D scheduled for April delivery:

[FONT=&quot]If we add them on, you would be subject to the price increase of the seats, plus a $500 change fee. Your vehicle would also be subject to the new pricing of the other options since you want the new option.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

For $1500 I would have considered it. For close to $4K (change fee plus new price differential on D, paint, etc.) I'm going to pass.

17. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I am building my S85 and the seats were a $3,500 upcharge. Are they worth it? I'm hearing yes.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I think the best way I've seen it described is if you want to sit "on" your seats or sit "in" your seats (have them hug you). For the former, pick standard seats. For the latter, pick the next-gen seats of the $2k above leather or $3.5k above textile are worthwhile to you.

Personally, I would have a hard time choosing them at $3,500. But, if I have decided to get leather over textile, then the $2k difference would be worth it for me.

19. Vger

Vger Active Member

Since we own both now, I go back and forth a lot. I maintain the new seats are absolutely worth it.

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I don't blame you. I get the uncharge for the seats, but I think tacking on all the other costs, when you ordered before they changed their policy is a low blow and a rip off. Very disappointing to hear.