Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen seats for non-P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Has there ever been a "change fee" before? I thought I had read that others have changed their orders after confirmation without paying for the privilege.
This is new, as I added subzero when they "officially" included heated steering wheel a mnonth or two ago. That was $750 with no additional fees.
Good to know, thanks. The notion of a change fee sounded out of character and out of line. Maybe a clueless DS misunderstood what they were told.
I read it here first, by another poster, then contacted my DS who told me the same thing. Perhaps your "salesman" hasn't gotten the memo yet.

My DS relayed a message to me stating that if I changed my order not only I would slip to the new pricebook but also I could only have front seats fitted.

No word on the price for "just fronts". Not kidding.
So I asked if I 1.) understood right whether they were stating "You can get NextGen seats, but only in the front and only when switching to the new pricebook." and 2. if switching would change my slot in the production queue. "I'll find out and call about it later tomorrow or the next day." - no reply yet, two days overdue.

My delivery has also just slipped from late May to June (after that mail exchange, but most likely not related), so I'm not very happy (but as an EU customer, there's a 6-8 week shipping window to be added post production). Considering the price tags on their cars, especially the added expenses for customs and exchange rate that bring a decently configured S85D up to 115,000 U$, I feel TM's customer relations leave much to be desired.

I just returned from the Tesla Double Black Diamond event in Denver. I sat in both LastGen and NextGen seats and find the LastGen seats plenty comfortable. Also, this was my first test drive in an 85D - on the obstacle course they set up. The acceleration and handling were unbelievably superb. I'm also more than satisfied not going for a P85D.

It's still a mess with the seats.

Now you can only get next gen seats in the front, but at a lower price. Seems fair, but not to those who where told full price for fronts only, and accepted that.

I wonder if they are redesigning the back seats, or just have a supply issue.

Maybe the seat manufacturers, Recaro, dropped the price, or maybe the supply bottleneck has eased up and demand is less than anticipated so a price drop was initiated to use up inventory that has built up. No way for us to know the reason why, just be glad they are now cheaper. I've sat in those seats and I think they are excellent. Wish I had them in my S.

Maybe the seat manufacturers, Recaro, dropped the price, or maybe the supply bottleneck has eased up and demand is less than anticipated so a price drop was initiated to use up inventory that has built up. No way for us to know the reason why, just be glad they are now cheaper. I've sat in those seats and I think they are excellent. Wish I had them in my S.
It looks like the back seats are not included in the $2500 upgrade, if the picture in the Design Studio is accurate. I ordered them on a S85D for $3500, wonder what I'll get?

Standard Leather also went up $250 to $1750. It looks like they are trying to get more people into Next Generation seats. I wouldn't be surprised to see the "classic" seats go away completely in the near future.

Hopefully the second row is a glitch again, since they keep wavering on this and I don't see any benefit to mismatched seats.

Standard Leather also went up $250 to $1750. It looks like they are trying to get more people into Next Generation seats. I wouldn't be surprised to see the "classic" seats go away completely in the near future.

I would hope not. I don't fit them. My legs and thighs are entirely the wrong shape for such aggressive bolsters. Removing the standard seat would basically remove me as a customer for any new Tesla (beyond the one I'm ordering now), which would be deeply disappointing. I don't think they would do that anyway, as it seems that the textile seats aren't changing. Eliminating the basic seats in leather without eliminating them in textile as well doesn't seem like the kind of decision Tesla would make.

I changed my order to NextGen and they asked back whether I'd accept the new Pricebook. I accepted and made sure to emphasize i wanted front and back NG. This was about a week after they became available. Mt order was changed and the new seats are listed 3500 €, with the pictures in the PDF showing the bulgy seat separators. Others have been charged 2500 and are only showing NG in front. Roughly corresponds with general production effort if you ask me. Just front - 2500. Front and back 3500. Where I think it's probable that the rear are more complicated to manufacture or slimming the margin, so they got binned.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, as I'm still awaiting production, I'm write quite curious as to what I'll receive in the end. Also wondering if they will deliver the auto-closing charge port for EU vehicles.

Interesting to hear your news about Next Gen rears being available for a higher price. In the US website Design Studio it does not seem to be possible to order Next Gen rear seats. Personally I think the Next Gen fronts look fine with the older style rears but some people think they don't and want the new rear seat style as well.