TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen seats LATCH System

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sundoc, Nov 15, 2014.

1. sundoc

sundoc Member

For all the lucky ones who've seen/sat in the next gen seats, has anyone seen how many LATCH points there are (child seat anchor points in the back seat)?
    Thanks in advance!

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Sorry, I didn't think to look as my kids are past that stage. I believe LATCH is required by USDOT, though. And the latch points are part of the frame, which is likely the same frame used with the current seats. You could always call or email Tesla and ask?

I think the more likely problem you're going to encounter is the car seats are not going to fit properly between the bolsters. I have one kid left using a booster seat, and my guess is I will have to buy a seat with a very narrow base.

3. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

It's almost certainly two Latch points.

4. sundoc

sundoc Member

Yeah I'm guessing there will be at least 2 configs for the LATCH, as opposed to the 3 possible configs on the current cars (current as of the summer at least).

We've got the Radian RXTs... Super slim seats, I've got 3 across in my current Subara STi, so hopefully it'll work even with the bolsters.

I called the TESLA mothership but they weren't able to give me an answer.

I guess I'll have my answers in a month or so anyway :)

Thanks again folks!

5. bsd

bsd Member

Note that although the MS supports 3 configurations, only 2 can be used simultaneously:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416071795.619557.jpg

6. sundoc

sundoc Member

Yeah I'm hoping to be able to use config 2 from above and then use the belt for the third seat, which will shortly be converted to a booster set up :)

@ bsd
    Thanks for posting the image!

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's not entirely true. That's an old diagram that specifically refers to LATCH seat placement. When cars used to have a center LATCH (they don't anymore), one of the two rails was shared with the outboard seat. So there were 5 LATCH anchors, making it impossible to fit 3 LATCH seats. The manual states in this case, the two outboard seats must use LATCH, and the center seat must mount with a seatbelt.

On cars built after about December 2013 the topic is moot, as they have only 4 LATCH anchors, with none in the center position.

So in either case, if you need three seats across, two will be LATCH and the third seat must use a seatbelt.

8. Kalud

Kalud Member

For your info, the Radiant works great too in the Model S.

I had 3 across but the older one is now on a booster (green, seen behind passenger seat).

IMG_5017.JPG

9. commasign

commasign Active Member

bump. Can anyone with NextGen rear seats confirm that there are only 2 outboard LATCH positions?

10. Puff

Puff Member

Confirmed. Don't have pictures but this should do. Didn't want to mess with the seatbelt only setup for the middle seat so I strapped the baby to the latch on the outboard for simplicity.

Attached Files: