TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen Seats VS Non NG Seats rearview obstruction

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Fezzik, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

#1 Fezzik, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    I had my p85d in for service for a small draft in the drivers window and a rattle in the sunroof (both fixed quickly) and I was given a 85 loaner. I know there was some debate on the size of the middle seat obstruction of the view so I figured take a pic of non next gen (1.5) vs next gen.

IMG_1175.JPG
    The above is the old seat from an S85

The below is from my p85d
    IMG_1177.JPG

Doesnt make much of a difference to me! But I thought you guys on the line trying to figure the NG seats (along with the discussion of the child seats) would like to see this to help make an informed decision. I tried to get the picture from the angle I see through the rear view and tried to get the picture at the same distance and angle. not perfect but does the job.

Attached Files:

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#2 yobigd20, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    that is NOT the old design. your pics from the loaner are the NEW v1.5 design.

THIS is the real OLD design (v1.0), and the headrests are obviously A LOT smaller, and it is my understanding these (v1.0) are no longer made. now you get v1.5 as the "regular" seats, and v2.0 are next gen (hence, all new owners are screwed with lower visibility no matter what you pick)

2013-tesla-model-s-rear-interior-seats.jpg

a better view, clearly showing that the old v1.0 DO NOT obstruct the rear view. IMO the v1.5 and v2.0 are a MAJOR FAIL by Tesla.

tesla-model-s-p85-review-2014_41.jpg

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Except when you get rear ended and have adult passengers in the back seat. I'm guessing the old seats were a MAJOR FAIL when it came to European crash testing.

• Like x 1
  4. yobigd20

But if you could see what's behind you then you can get out of the way before it smashes into you :p. Kinda like this guy: 1.18.15 NJ Turnpike I-95 Crash - Black Ice - Trailer flip - YouTube

Ok ok maybe not like that guy, he just sat there like an idiot as the truck is barreling down on him. He's lucky he didn't get squashed.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Just use the rear view camera in the top center display all the time.

I recall a year ago people posting complaints that the rear seat headrests were dangerous because they were too low.

Now people are complaining they are too tall.

6. yobigd20

Gee, if only they were adjustable they could solve both complaints, kinda like they're very very very very very first original Model S's built:

17db4ecf84042126b7af79c48df1fbf8.jpg

84fac69cea05d3be2f6046f0a47fa177.jpg

• Informative x 1
  7. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

Sorry. yes. I didnt mean OLD. I was trying to compare the NG vs non NG seats. This is the newer version that is not NG. I edited the post to reflect that properly!

the adjustable headrest is what they def should have went with. Oh well.

8. actionspa

actionspa Member

Fezzik,
    Your pictures are spot on, very helpful in showing what to expect.

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Thanks, Fezzik. As one of those who will soon have to decide whether to keep my 1.5 rear seats or accept (demand?) the NG rear seats, this is helpful.

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

They really should be removable like in my old Lexus. That also makes it easier to tether child seats.

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Agree.