TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen Seats

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pieter Knispel, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Pieter Knispel

Hi All,

Can any of the forum members here provide some insight into what exactly the 'next gen seats' entail? Is it just leather or is the structure/actual seat different between the stock, and next gen version.

Any insight would be great! :)

Thanks!

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Do we have any idea if the Model 3 will come with the next gen seats or does this belong in the Model S section?

They are structurally and aesthetically different. Many people find them more comfortable as well. There are many discussions on this topic from two years ago.

Tesla Model S Sport Seats Revealed

3. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

They are the current leather seats. They are more bolstered than the original leather or the textile seats. I believe for a while you could choose either for leather, but not not seeing that option now

4. N5329K

N5329K Member

The Gen 1 seats were inadequate (for me), and were one of the reasons why we didn't pursue a Model S. Doesn't take a lot of care and design to build a better seat, and I hope they do for the M3.
    Robin

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

They are called "Next Gen" because they were an upgrade (better support and more comfortable according to most people) compared to the original S leather seats. After awhile Tesla stopped offering the original leather seat style so that now the only choices are the standard "textile" seats or the optional Next Gen seats.

I have the original leather seats in my S and my wife and I think they are fine, but I have sat in the Next Gen seats and to me they are clearly better.

I expect the 3 will have a similar seat choice: standard seats in some non-leather material and optional seats in leather with more support and controls.

6. Pieter Knispel

Thanks all, appreciate the info and insight, thank you!

7. 03DSG

03DSG Member

When you go to the order page for the MS and toggle between the fabric and leather seats you can see a big difference in shape, size, headrest and boltering for them.

When you do the same on the order page for the MX the seat, bolster, headrest ect remain identical. The only thing that changes is the insert from fabric to leather. The seat shape, size, headrest and bolstering is identical.

At least on the MS for $2500 usd you get an entire seat upgrade. It appears on the MX that your paying $2500 just for the leather insert on the seating surface.

8. arjay

arjay member

FWIW, I sat in the MS "Next Gen" seat a couple of weeks ago to see what they were about, and for me the fit and feel is excellent. The leather smell was also magnifique. Admittedly both my wife and I are slim so the seats fit and supported perfectly.