TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen Tesla Sportscar

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by graham, Jun 1, 2009.

1. graham

graham Active Member

It apparently will not be a Roadster:

Next Tesla sportscar to have back seat, AWD, rear seats and storage

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I was expecting Tesla to head in this direction if they make another sports car. Even with the Roadster, they were not trying to go for a full bore track car, even though they went with a Lotus base. A lot of the market for sports cars seem to go for cars that are a lot more practical and comfortable.

3. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Yes, I count myself lucky to have one of the real sports cars. Seats in back does not a real sports car make. The 911 was just too darned big, heavy. Ok, so maybe an electric 2+2 wouldn't be slow, but it would really be too bad if they dropped having a nice, small car.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is just following from earlier Model S announcements. Their intention is to design the Model S chassis so that they can reuse it with "different hats". An SUV and a sports car have been mentioned in the past. But that Model S chassis is pretty big, so I wouldn't expect the sports car based on that to be a roadster. Hopefully they'll still find a way to make Roadsters, though, and integrate in the liquid cooled motor.

5. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Is it possible this is the same car as the Model S sport they have talked about earlier? They talked about a Model S with upgraded something to push accel down below 5s. Or what exactly defines a sports car ?

Cobos

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Perhaps sports car isn't the best description, it going to be closer to a sports coupe or grand tourer: probably something like a 6 series or the new E class coupe.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm OK with that... They should focus on cars from now on that follow their own in-house design style and which are practical. It's no secret I find the roadster ugly, and seating two adults in it is fine if you want to ride arm-in-arm

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Meh

Put this on the back-burner where it belongs. There are more important things to be doing.

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It looks like that is just where it is:

More Details on Tesla, Daimler EV Collaboration and the Future Roadster - AllCarsElectric.com

With 2+2 seating and a hardtop version, it's not really a roadster at all, is it? I'm surprised by the number of car sites that have reported it as such. IMHO there's room in the range for both.

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Yeah in my mind I see it as a Model S convertible coupe. :biggrin: lovin' that idea.

11. ozman

ozman Member

It's all relevant. Tesla seems to be intending to use the same wheelbase, and a lot of the same technology for the Model S in it's next "few" cars. We've heard talk about an SUV, etc being built on the Model S base as well. So they need to be forward thinking and make it all compatible. Makes sense though.

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Good point. Elon commented on switching to larger format batteries, but I'm not sure if that's simply for the less expensive models or whether they intend to move away from the laptop cell-based packs.

Will be interesting to see if they can develop a modular platform with several different motor/PEM/battery combinations which can be stretched/expanded/shrunk for a variety of vehicle types.

13. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Malcolm,

I don't know if you remember the GM Hy-wire concept car from 2002, but that was the same basic idea. This is from the Wikipedia page:

Here's a link to some pictures:

General Motors Hywire concept

14. Bud

Bud Member

With all else equal, a skateboard design implies a taller seating position and thus a taller vehicle. Air drag, which accounts for most of the power on the highway, goes up with area. For rough numbers, increasing the height from four feet to five feet implies 25% more drag and requires maybe 20% more power, yielding something like that much less highway range for an EV. Wow, what a concept!

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd imagine this is something they would consider... this sounds like a random baseless bashing post.

16. Takumi

Takumi Member

Actually not random bashing, more like no research or "sour grapes". Have you looked under an ICE car recently? Ever considered the exhaust system, driveshaft, or gas tank to mention a few?

17. mt2

mt2 Member

Uh, no. A skateboard design implies any seating position you care to put onto it. Without the engine blocking your view, you could lay the drive prone.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

This thread has been dormant for a while... let's get some life!

This was 2 years ago now. If they had a Roadster 3.0 on tap to be produced in 2 years, wouldn't we have seen it by now? I'm guessing this project got pushed back? Shame if so. I'd love to see what they could do now that they've got a new chassis, more money, and lots more experience (not to mention Franz!).

Still have the Model X to look forward to in a month in a half (if Frankfurt is the debut). With them showing the X then, plus having to show off the betas... not sure there's enough room to then spring a surprise roadster reboot in there too.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I wouldn't hold my breath. The Roadster served its purpose. They now need to execute Model S and Model X. After that Bluestar is the next opportunity.

Any direct Roadster replacement is going to be a low-volume vehicle, unless they somehow manage to build something with Roadster-plus performance at a fraction of the current price. Of course they might decide to do it just to maintain Tesla's reputation, but I don't think there would be a great business case for it.

If they do decide to build another sports car, I'd expect it to be more of a luxury sports car - something quite a bit larger, with rear seats, and derived from the Model S platform.