Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmmm.... i don't know. i'm 50/50 on this one.

If those are aftermarket mods, they are very well executed IMO - they definitely look like they were specifically designed for the housing and not afterthoughts. This seems like it would be a good way for Tesla to freshen the look of the model S a little bit without making any big changes to metal.

Sorry for the delay in responses, here you go...
Wow. Where did you find that?
Hawthorne Supercharger last night 11pm

Whoa where'd you see this? It could be possible that someone retrofitted their own headlights for a custom look?
Not retrofitted, actual Tesla headlights(maybe in prototype stage)
do you remember what car this was? p85d?
Yes P85D, with Gray next generation seat on the driver side & Black next generation seats on the passenger.(sorry no picture it was dark)

Wow. Those are weird. I wonder if they are all LED.
Yes they are all LED, you can actually see them when you look up close in the housing.

I bet that is Elon's P85D ! He's allowed to have special stuff:eek:
Actually, I saw Elon's P85D in Hawthorne too right out of production with the Next Generation & Executive seats before it was even announced, but I didn't think much of it so I didn't take any pictures than.

From the background in the picture, that is the supercharger parking at Hawthorne, backed against the Tesla building.
You are correct.

I'm not a betting man but I'd bet those are aftermarket mods.
They are not aftermarket mods because it had dealer plates on them.

Isn't Elon's P85D red? I thought there was a posting a while back with his car at the factory. Oh well, I guess he can have two. Maybe the red one belongs to Talulah now.
Actually I saw Elon's red when it was done right after production in Hawthorne & it had a note stating it was Elon's car. HAHA...

So, Iorichi, please tell us more about the photo you posted. Where was it taken and what do you know about it?
Sorry guys, a bit delayed on response. Here are the details:
1) Headlight is all LED, housing is matte black instead of silver
2) Fogs lamps on current Model S on this particular vehicle it is sealed/covered up
3) Black on Black P85D with driver seat in a gray color(sorry no pictures)
4) It had dealer plates on them
Everything looked pretty much the same on the vehicle except for the next generation seats in the front row but color variation from driver & passenger. Back row seats were the regular black leather seats. No stickers or note indicating what it was compared to when I saw Elon's car it had a note indicating so. A few parking spots away they had a Model S indicating "Marketing" on the window, but looked like a standard S with no additional features.

iorchill, thanks for answering all of our questions. :smile: you gotta love our passion for our cars.
i hope this is just a prototype and the final next gen headlights will have a much cleaner look. :smile:

hehe... I totally understand, both me & my boyfriend have the same car except his is a P & mine is a S.
Plus, his jaw literally dropped to the floor when he saw the headlights.
Our vice...
tesla.jpg

haha... let's say how our story began is with a car. LOL!! :rolleyes:

Cute story! back in my day, the combined value of our cars was less than $1k, and the only bit that matched was the rust :)

I love the idea of LED lights, but hopefully they'll look a bit more elegant in the production version....I think the second picture isn't the most flattering, just because it's really well lit so really exposes the 'guts' of the headlight.

To confirm it is not aftermarket, my boyfriend was looking at the etching to see what bulb the headlight takes.
For example, our headlights say D3S etched on them these did not have any bulbs etched into them, hence LED.
Hardly visible, but for the inquiring minds...

15 - 1.jpg
15 - 2.jpg
15 - 4.jpg

It is certainly possible to modify headlights using the factory shell, just FYI. A friend warmed up his Infiniti headlights until the glue was barely melted, separated the parts, did some fun stuff to them, put them back together, baked it again until the glue warmed up, and they're good as new, look factory (except completely different) and say Infiniti just as those say Tesla.