Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all your opinions. I think the best option is indeed to go now with the Model 3 for a pair of years and then trade in for a Model X.

I did a 2 days test drive on a Model X (after a S) and I was sold. The X is an incredible car. My experience with the Model 3 was only from seeing it inside a presentation room. I liked the car but I can't really compare the two experiences.

But I'm really convinced that the next generation for Model S and X are just a couple of years ahead and it will be truly amazing.

It's not just about the technology it's also about the cost. In a period that competition will start to hit the market (2020-2022), if Tesla can have the manufacturing capability to produce the same cells/modules, motors and electronics for ALL Model S/X/3/Y/Semi/Roadster/Pickup production, the production costs will collapse improving margins and making possible to reflect some of the savings in final price. Particularly, if Tesla needs to compete on price as well.

We start to have some clues that Tesla is going down this path with the Semi reusing Model 3 motors and cells. Reengineering Model S/X battery packs with improved vehicle margins would be a logical and easy step IF Tesla could produce enough cells today. We know they can't as it's bearable enough for the 7000 units/week of Model 3. Also, using only a cell/module type gives Tesla much more flexibility if they need to change the vehicle production mix.

They need to probably double the current cell production in order to use them for S/X.

Hi,

I'm currently considering between buying a Model 3 or a Model X. I know they're different vehicles (with different costs) and I know the "right" decision would be to have the two. Unfortunately, that is not a option for me and I'm torn between the two for different reasons.

Model X with a 6 or 7 seat would be the adequate choice for me as I have 2 kids and the extra seats would be really helpful, but when I look at the current versions of Model X I can't help to note that they're still, a somewhat, dated "version" in the "technology level line" of Tesla.

Model 3, being the newest model, as several hardware improvements that I'm sure will appear in Model S and X as soon as Tesla have the time to take theirs eyes from Model 3 (and probably Model Y).

I'm talking about:
  • 2170 cell batteries capable of a denser energy pack :
    • This would probably be able to create a version of the Model X with a 120 kWh pack and 350 miles of range probably with the same weight and cost as the current 100 kWh pack;
    • As the 2170 cells are produced in progressive greater quantities, their cost efficiency continue to improve. These cells produced in enough quantities for all Model 3, S, X (and Y) production will make them very cheap due to economies of scale. As such, it would be also possible to have a 100 kWh pack for the same price as the current 75 kWh pack;
    • We also know that these cells accept more energy per unit of time as we already see it with Model 3 faster charge rates. With a 120 kWh pack it would probably even charge at a higher rate because of the bigger pack (the bigger the pack the higher charge power);
    • This will also be aligned with the new Supercharger 3.0 version due probably next year;
  • Permanent magnet motors:
    • Model S and X will probably use one (or two) PMM in the rear and an AC motor in the front similar with Model 3, for better efficiency at low and high speed, faster acceleration and enhanced cornering;
  • Interior Refresh:
    • Model 3 interior clearly is set to define the next-gen style for Tesla. It's just a question of time for Model S and X to change for a similar interior (which I personally like and prefer);
  • Better Electronics (controller / MCU / AP hardware):
    • Model 3 electronics are a "next-gen" version (see Munro analysis) that are much more simpler, efficient, faster and with better quality than the electronics currently present in Model S and X (which are still from 2012). I'm sure that this will migrate to Model S and X sometime in the future too;
For these reasons I think Model S and X are due for a major refresh sometime in the next 2 or 3 years. I think we will see a lighter, faster, nicer Model S and X with 120 kWh pack that charge faster than current Model 3. There's a possibility also for being cheaper.

So, knowing this and for a person that usually have a car for around 10 years it's hard for me to go for a Model X now. This is the reason that I'm considering going for a Model 3 for the next 3 years until the refresh of the Model X happen.

What do you think ?
I have a 13 S and 16 X. And have driven 3. The latter is better in many ways. But it wouldn't be to much of a leap to update S and X with dash and 2170 cells.
Everyone forgets that the X is full of motorized doors! And huge windshield. And awesome FWD. It is by far most advanced vehicle.

;
  • Better Electronics (controller / MCU / AP hardware):
    • Model 3 electronics are a "next-gen" version (see Munro analysis) that are much more simpler, efficient, faster and with better quality than the electronics currently present in Model S and X (which are still from 2012). I'm sure that this will migrate to Model S and X sometime in the future too;

The Model X and I believe S, was refreshed in March 2018 with MCU2. It is quite a bit faster than the older MCU. Also, a lot of people do not like the Model 3 interior, me included. Especially the single center mounted screen which IMHO was a bad decision. I understand it was a cost cutting measure, but is also less useful. Having a separate display in front of the driver that shows a smaller version of the map, media controls, etc. is better. And the 17" map is great for looking ahead and around you as well as displaying things like the rear camera as you drive.

The things Tesla needs to add ASAP is a proper bird's eye view for parking, HUD with all navigation data (just steal BMWs), blind spot warning at the mirror mounting points in addition to in the binnacle, and proper sun visors (maybe electro-optical).

I can only offer opinion from my experience.

August 2018 P100D X Owner, 6 seat no center console.

I love my car, havent had any of the commonly mentioned issues (yet) drives great, never had a range issue or charging worry. I usually leave 3rd row seats down.
The extra weight of the X feels nice to drive as well. Would definately recommend an X to anyone who wants a tesla with room.

Aside from the cost differences theres also the attention appeal, the X is a light show wing flapping attention grabber. The 3 looks good too, but doesnt stand out until you see the interior ( which personally i think looks empty/generic ) and i hate the touchpad mount intstead of it being IN the dash.
But for cost, its hard to beat.

But if your that unsure, i would wait to see the Y just in case.

It's not just about the technology it's also about the cost. In a period that competition will start to hit the market (2020-2022), if Tesla can have the manufacturing capability to produce the same cells/modules, motors and electronics for ALL Model S/X/3/Y/Semi/Roadster/Pickup production, the production costs will collapse improving margins and making possible to reflect some of the savings in final price. Particularly, if Tesla needs to compete on price as well.

In two years (around the time of the model Y) Tesla will be seeing somewhat more serious competition in terms of the cars. But they won't have the charging network Tesla does. So they won't sell nearly as many cars. That means Tesla won't have to compete head to head on price. But give it another two or three years and the independent charging networks will have grown to a point it will be more practical to drive one of the other brands. This isn't me talking, there is a graph out there somewhere showing the expansion plans for the various charging networks in the US. Once Tesla no longer leads in the charging domain, I expect they will no longer have a lead in car technology and they will need to compete on price.

I don't know Tesla will have any better costs than the major auto makers. They have been building cars for a long time and when they say they will start selling a car in late 2020, it will be available for sale then rather than low hundreds for months as they ramp up. Doubling or even tripling production doesn't bring that much reduction in costs. A ten fold increase will be something worth paying attention to. Tesla will have to dominate the market to achieve that in the next five years.

We start to have some clues that Tesla is going down this path with the Semi reusing Model 3 motors and cells. Reengineering Model S/X battery packs with improved vehicle margins would be a logical and easy step IF Tesla could produce enough cells today. We know they can't as it's bearable enough for the 7000 units/week of Model 3. Also, using only a cell/module type gives Tesla much more flexibility if they need to change the vehicle production mix.

They need to probably double the current cell production in order to use them for S/X.

Double at least. They want to ramp model 3 production by another 40% and model Y production needs to be considered. They are planning expansion of battery production. I just don't know if it will be enough to provide for both S/X conversion and model Y production while ramping model X production.

Reactions: McKricas
I find this a very odd dilemma. If you can live with the size of a Model 3 then it's the obvious car to choose if your priority is having the latest tech. But for us the Model 3 would simply be too small as our primary family car and so a current Model X is a much better fit for our needs. I would never consider a Model 3 as a substitute for an X, but that's something only you can decide for yourself.

As for the future, there will always be something new around the corner and do you really want to own an early built replacement Model X for 10 years? I know I would want to give it a further couple of years to "evolve" like the current Model X did since its 2016 release. It's not actually an old car when you think about it and arguably 2018 was a good year to buy one, now most of the initial faults have been ironed out.

I'm in a very similar boat; my current lease on my Cadillac XT5 expires in September 2019, so I'll be vehicle-shopping to replace it by then.

The Model X is the obvious "closest choice" to the XT5, but it's a huge uptick in cost over the XT5. So that leads me to look at the Model 3...

The big question is, "would I be happy downsizing to a small-ish sedan"? I need to spend some significant time in a Model 3 - by which I mean, not just sitting in a demo car on the retail floor.

For clarity, we're a family of 3, and my wife drives a Buick Enclave. So we have the large size people-and-stuff hauler covered. The question is, do I need a second SUV?

How are the sight lines on the M3? I really do enjoy the additional ride height of the XT5 over a sedan - that might be the hardest part of giving it up.

Frontrunners right now are essentially this: 1) Model 3; 2) Model X (longshot - can't justify the cost); or 3) Lease another XT5 to tide me over until the Model Y.

So Model X'ers -- convince me to upgrade option #2. :)

Today I just went to a Tesla store to see and try (again) the Model X and Model 3.

I'm 95% set to go with the Model 3 AWD for the next 3 years.

I do think Model X is the better car...the extra seats and space is unbeatable, also the FWD and the front windshield are not comparable with any other thing. It's just awesome.

However, the salesman told me two things that helped in my decision:

1) In my country Tesla Superchargers network are still in the beginning. There're just 5 so far for the all country, which makes the X75D not a good choice. We have other charger networks (50 kW CCS and Chademo) in the country but they're much more expensive and are not the same thing as the Tesla Supercharger.

A 600 miles trip in a X75D would be very painful to do. The good news is that in the next 2 years, it seems Tesla will at least triple the supercharger network, covering all country. So, for that reason and, for now, Tesla "recommends" clients (if they can) to go with the X100D while the network is not established enough.

For me this is another point to favor Model 3 now as its range is far superior, even than the X100D.

2) The salesman agreed that some kind of "refresh" is due for the Model S/X, in particular the interior (he seemed to not understand much about cell tech and the rest), although it wouldn't be a "new" version of the S/X. Just an incremental version on top of the existing one and possibly only happening "at best" in 2020 after Model Y unveiling and start of production.

He told me that Model Y could make a bigger contribution to the upcoming upgrade of the S/X Model (interior), probably on a higher degree than the current Model 3. He told me that Tesla would possibly wanted to make the Model Y as a kind of "reference" for its future veichles.

The reasons according to him are that Tesla was able to learn from the feedback of Model 3 and also because Model Y will be based on a more evolved technology of Model 3.

As a result, he suggested me to choose a Model 3 now and reserve the Model Y on the unveiling (sometime in March / April). As this model is planed to hit the market around 2021, by that time it would all be known and I could trade the Model 3 for a Model Y or a new X.

Reactions: Nrazar
I own and X and 3 and my father has an S. After having the 3 for a month, I would not buy an S or X right now. My wife and I are both choosing the 3 nearly everytime over the X.

The 3 is better in every way, except for the auto-opening doors and the giant windshield. The interior is so far ahead of the X/S that getting in either one now makes me feel like I'm stepping back in time. The screen and UI is much more responsive, the material quality is better, its more comfortable and feels like a "regular car" in all the good ways (usable cupholders, center console, normal visors, great armrests and door pockets, no squeaks/rattles). It's easier to park, autopilot is better, the car tracks dead straight on the highway etc.

None of this was apparent to me just looking in the "showroom" but after living with them side-by-side, I can't unsee it!

Sorry but yr is your X? If you have a newer X with the MCU upgrade, it is just as responsive as the 3. Also, having a second screen is so much better than the single screen on a 3. The xtra room, auto-opening/closing doors, etc... to me just make the X a more luxurious car than the 3.

I find the cupholders, sun visors, arm rests etc...on the X all great to me.

This is not to bag on the 3, bc I like it but I guess people who prefer an X really dont want the feel of a "regular car" as u state the 3 feels like.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Sorry but yr is your X? If you have a newer X with the MCU upgrade, it is just as responsive as the 3. Also, having a second screen is so much better than the single screen on a 3. The xtra room, auto-opening/closing doors, etc... to me just make the X a more luxurious car than the 3.

I find the cupholders, sun visors, arm rests etc...on the X all great to me.

This is not to bag on the 3, bc I like it but I guess people who prefer an X really dont want the feel of a "regular car" as u state the 3 feels like.

I think the center console in the X is the worst I've ever seen. The cup holders are in the way. The arm rest is too high (raises my whole arm which holds the shoulder out of place) and there is no useful space for storing any of the things I like to keep in my car. Oh yeah, also, if I drop my arm off the rest it is wedged between me and the rest very unnaturally. It just takes up room that could be used for something useful. My truck has a better console.

They each have strengths. The X makes a great hauler, particularly in the 5-seat configuration. Lots of storage space, especially with the seats folded, a generous front trunk, and easy loading with the Falcon Wing doors. It has a quiet ride on the highway and feels planted to the road like a tank. With 22" wheels and sticky summer tires, cornering and grip is admirable, but range suffers significantly.

The 3 is a playful everyday car. Handling is sharp and immediate, but the ride can get bouncy and floaty over pavement undulations. It has more road and wind noise. In P3D form, it's a mini rocket that will out-accelerate 99% of all cars on the road. It's a great daily commuter and fun to drive on a twisty mountain pass.

If I had to pick just one, pricing aside, it would be the Model X P100D, even in its current iteration with the older batteries and tech. It's just a great all-around car.

I think the center console in the X is the worst I've ever seen. The cup holders are in the way. The arm rest is too high (raises my whole arm which holds the shoulder out of place) and there is no useful space for storing any of the things I like to keep in my car. Oh yeah, also, if I drop my arm off the rest it is wedged between me and the rest very unnaturally. It just takes up room that could be used for something useful. My truck has a better console.

Sorry, can't relate

Reactions: jboy210

This is all just personal preference. For you it is no doubt the worst console, but for me its perfect! I love the arm rests, cup holders and the storage space! Who knows what the OP would make of it? I guess we can only put forward our own personal experiences on this kind of thing.

Today I just went to a Tesla store to see and try (again) the Model X and Model 3.

I'm 95% set to go with the Model 3 AWD for the next 3 years.

I do think Model X is the better car...the extra seats and space is unbeatable, also the FWD and the front windshield are not comparable with any other thing. It's just awesome.

However, the salesman told me two things that helped in my decision:

1) In my country Tesla Superchargers network are still in the beginning. There're just 5 so far for the all country, which makes the X75D not a good choice. We have other charger networks (50 kW CCS and Chademo) in the country but they're much more expensive and are not the same thing as the Tesla Supercharger.

A 600 miles trip in a X75D would be very painful to do. The good news is that in the next 2 years, it seems Tesla will at least triple the supercharger network, covering all country. So, for that reason and, for now, Tesla "recommends" clients (if they can) to go with the X100D while the network is not established enough.

For me this is another point to favor Model 3 now as its range is far superior, even than the X100D.

2) The salesman agreed that some kind of "refresh" is due for the Model S/X, in particular the interior (he seemed to not understand much about cell tech and the rest), although it wouldn't be a "new" version of the S/X. Just an incremental version on top of the existing one and possibly only happening "at best" in 2020 after Model Y unveiling and start of production.

He told me that Model Y could make a bigger contribution to the upcoming upgrade of the S/X Model (interior), probably on a higher degree than the current Model 3. He told me that Tesla would possibly wanted to make the Model Y as a kind of "reference" for its future veichles.

The reasons according to him are that Tesla was able to learn from the feedback of Model 3 and also because Model Y will be based on a more evolved technology of Model 3.

As a result, he suggested me to choose a Model 3 now and reserve the Model Y on the unveiling (sometime in March / April). As this model is planed to hit the market around 2021, by that time it would all be known and I could trade the Model 3 for a Model Y or a new X.

Not necessarily disagreeing here, but having owned an X75D for nearly a year and covered 15K miles, neither range nor supercharging have been any hassle at all, even on longer trips. What you have to do is look very carefully at your driving routines i.e. daily usage, how many long haul journeys etc. and work out how much you will actually be using the supercharger network. I presume you will be charging at home on a daily basis, which is the only sensible way to run a Tesla. For me I use home charging maybe 90% of the time and no more than 10% supercharging and the odd destination charger. For you of course it could be a very different profile, but make sure you do the maths!

Another thing to consider is that the Model 3 will come to Europe with a CCS connector, so you may have serious hassle using superchargers until they get round to upgrading them all to CCS (they will eventually have dual connectors on all superchargers). This is likely to be a short term issue, but a very serious one as you will not be able to use a current spec supercharger. A Model X would come with a standard Tesla connector and later the option of a CCS adaptor (not yet available) for use with other public CCS chargers. Longer term the CCS connector will be the better solution as you would never have to use an adaptor for public CCS charging. But if you don't use public chargers and stick to Tesla superchargers then it's a non-issue.

As for point 2) it does look like the Model X interior refresh is still a fair way off and probably not worth waiting specifically for it. I can't see an all-new Model X appearing until 2022 at the very earliest, when the current model would then be 6 years old. With an interior refresh I could easily imagine them stretching the existing X out until 2023 or even 2024, depending on their priorities. I would expect a new Model S to be launched slightly ahead of it too, a bit like we are seeing now with the Model 3 and Y. My guess (and it is nothing more than that) is an interior S and X refresh in 2020, an all-new Model S in 2022, followed by an all-new X in 2023. Those would be sensible timescales based on typical product cycles. The fact that the S and X are supposedly getting a major interior refresh suggests that an all-new model is still a minimum of 2-3 years away. On the other hand, the S is going to become increasingly difficult to market as it approaches its 10th birthday, so there must be considerable pressure to accelerate its replacement - presuming that Tesla intend to remain in the upper market segment.

Not necessarily disagreeing here, but having owned an X75D for nearly a year and covered 15K miles, neither range nor supercharging have been any hassle at all, even on longer trips. What you have to do is look very carefully at your driving routines i.e. daily usage, how many long haul journeys etc. and work out how much you will actually be using the supercharger network. I presume you will be charging at home on a daily basis, which is the only sensible way to run a Tesla. For me I use home charging maybe 90% of the time and no more than 10% supercharging and the odd destination charger. For you of course it could be a very different profile, but make sure you do the maths!

Another thing to consider is that the Model 3 will come to Europe with a CCS connector, so you may have serious hassle using superchargers until they get round to upgrading them all to CCS (they will eventually have dual connectors on all superchargers). This is likely to be a short term issue, but a very serious one as you will not be able to use a current spec supercharger. A Model X would come with a standard Tesla connector and later the option of a CCS adaptor (not yet available) for use with other public CCS chargers. Longer term the CCS connector will be the better solution as you would never have to use an adaptor for public CCS charging. But if you don't use public chargers and stick to Tesla superchargers then it's a non-issue.

As for point 2) it does look like the Model X interior refresh is still a fair way off and probably not worth waiting specifically for it. I can't see an all-new Model X appearing until 2022 at the very earliest, when the current model would then be 6 years old. With an interior refresh I could easily imagine them stretching the existing X out until 2023 or even 2024, depending on their priorities. I would expect a new Model S to be launched slightly ahead of it too, a bit like we are seeing now with the Model 3 and Y. My guess (and it is nothing more than that) is an interior S and X refresh in 2020, an all-new Model S in 2022, followed by an all-new X in 2023. Those would be sensible timescales based on typical product cycles. The fact that the S and X are supposedly getting a major interior refresh suggests that an all-new model is still a minimum of 2-3 years away. On the other hand, the S is going to become increasingly difficult to market as it approaches its 10th birthday, so there must be considerable pressure to accelerate its replacement - presuming that Tesla intend to remain in the upper market segment.

yeah, the problem is that I often need to make day trips of 600 / 700 miles for work. With a X75D I think it would be very painful to make that number of miles in one day without a supercharger network. The X100D would be much more reasonable (although without the supercharger network it would not be ideal too).

I agree that any refresh for S/X will not happen before 2020/2021. I don't believe it will be much longer than that because it's around the same time that other manufacturers will hit the market with their EVs. Tesla needs to show some new things too.

I could go for a Model X100D but I think there's too many things against right now that I can't make myself to justify the stretch. I'm not saying that current model S/X is not great. I know it is. I test drove a Model X for 2 full days and was completely sold. But the more I read about Model 3 the more I think we are at an end of cycle for S/X.

Model 3 is, in some ways, more advanced technological than the other models and although it doesn't have as many features as Model X/S, contrary to what Tesla said, Model 3 is THE 3rd technology generation with Model S/X being the 2nd. Check the following videos :
and a more complete one:

These are real night and day kind of improvements and Model Y will be a next step improvement over Model 3. It really doesn't make sense that all of this more robust and efficient tech do not go to the other models soon. Also, this new tech could improve 20% or 30% in lower production costs. This alone would be a great motivation point for Tesla.

I think the next generation Model S/X, with the new cell battery and electronics will be truly amazing.

That's why I think the most rational plan for me is to go with a Model 3 for the next 3 years and trade in for the Model X as soon as the refresh happens.

Reactions: Bogobec
yeah, the problem is that I often need to make day trips of 600 / 700 miles for work. With a X75D I think it would be very painful to make that number of miles in one day without a supercharger network.

Your 100% right, 99% of my trips in ourX is within 100 miles. To be brutally honest if your doing 600-700 miles road trips in a country with only 5 SC sites am not sure even a Model 3 would be a good choice!!

I love EVs, woudlnt go back to combustion cars, but ever so often we have to do 300 mile work trips where there is no destination charging and SC means a detour. For those trips we always take the combustion car, and is why am unsure we are ready to go full EV as a family.

On holiday its a different issue, you can stop when/how long you like, but for work meetings that has to occur between 9-5 the last thing you want in a car is worrying about range/charging.

My wife recently had do x2 300 mile round trips in 24hrs with no chance of destination charging. In the combustion it was a non issue, infact when she got home there was still enough range left in the tank to cover the remaining week of commuting. Even thinking about doing such a trip in our X gives me headaches!!!

You might be better off waiting to see Roadster 2.0 battery tech go into production before getting an EV

yeah, the problem is that I often need to make day trips of 600 / 700 miles for work. With a X75D I think it would be very painful to make that number of miles in one day without a supercharger network. The X100D would be much more reasonable (although without the supercharger network it would not be ideal too).

I agree that any refresh for S/X will not happen before 2020/2021. I don't believe it will be much longer than that because it's around the same time that other manufacturers will hit the market with their EVs. Tesla needs to show some new things too.

I could go for a Model X100D but I think there's too many things against right now that I can't make myself to justify the stretch. I'm not saying that current model S/X is not great. I know it is. I test drove a Model X for 2 full days and was completely sold. But the more I read about Model 3 the more I think we are at an end of cycle for S/X.

Model 3 is, in some ways, more advanced technological than the other models and although it doesn't have as many features as Model X/S, contrary to what Tesla said, Model 3 is THE 3rd technology generation with Model S/X being the 2nd. Check the following videos :
and a more complete one:

These are real night and day kind of improvements and Model Y will be a next step improvement over Model 3. It really doesn't make sense that all of this more robust and efficient tech do not go to the other models soon. Also, this new tech could improve 20% or 30% in lower production costs. This alone would be a great motivation point for Tesla.

I think the next generation Model S/X, with the new cell battery and electronics will be truly amazing.

That's why I think the most rational plan for me is to go with a Model 3 for the next 3 years and trade in for the Model X as soon as the refresh happens.

I see your issue and agree the X75D is not best suited to regular 600-700 mile road trips! It's doable with the right supercharger locations, but hardly the most efficient or convenient solution, even with a 100D.

You could certainly say that the S is reaching the end of its product cycle having been released in 2012, but I'm not so sure you can say that about the X having been on the market for less than 3 years! I'd say it's mid cycle and an upcoming major interior refresh suggests it's going to be around for at least another 3 years to make that worthwhile. I'm due to change my X in early 2022 and I'm doubtful there will be an all-new model available at that point.

Your plan of taking a Model 3 now is good IF you can live with the much smaller car. For me that simply wouldn't work out, especially not for 3 years! Then you have to question why bother with a barge like the X at all?

If there are no kids in the picture go with the 3.
If there are kids (especially younger ones) -- go for the X.

All the little things in the X are just mind blowing and will put a smile on your face everyday. Checkout the various "kids and model x" threads.

The 3 will most definitely also make you smile, but its not gonna be the same.

Your 100% right, 99% of my trips in ourX is within 100 miles. To be brutally honest if your doing 600-700 miles road trips in a country with only 5 SC sites am not sure even a Model 3 would be a good choice!!

The way to tell is to enter the trip into abetterrouteplanner.com and see what the options are. Even if charging is sparse in general, they typically are provided along routes rather than randomly distributed around an area. So the OP's route may be perfectly practical. In fact, in the US because of the spacing of the chargers many routes are just as practical with the standard battery rather than the long range battery. I just returned from a 500 mile trip and was only able to skip two Super chargers while stopping at three. With the standard range battery I would have needed one extra stop.

I love EVs, woudlnt go back to combustion cars, but ever so often we have to do 300 mile work trips where there is no destination charging and SC means a detour. For those trips we always take the combustion car, and is why am unsure we are ready to go full EV as a family.

I've been lucky so far. None of the trips I've taken required a detour for charging... opps, that's not true. I was low in Frederick, Md with a schedule to maintain that day. In order to get started (Frederick has no workable charging other than J-1772 outlets) I had to detour to Hagerstown, MD which ended up adding 40 miles to my trip. Mostly this was an issue because of my tight schedule. Most people would never buy an electric car because of exactly this sort of problem. They don't want to be bothered.

On holiday its a different issue, you can stop when/how long you like, but for work meetings that has to occur between 9-5 the last thing you want in a car is worrying about range/charging.

Absolutely true. I am taking the car on a business trip next week and fortunately there is a bank of Superchargers right by the hotels. It is also a single charge away so no need to stop along the route, although I likely will anyway just so I don't have to focus on charging when I'm checking in, etc. If I have 40% on the battery and I can't get the charger to work, I can find a J-1772 the next day.

My wife recently had do x2 300 mile round trips in 24hrs with no chance of destination charging. In the combustion it was a non issue, infact when she got home there was still enough range left in the tank to cover the remaining week of commuting. Even thinking about doing such a trip in our X gives me headaches!!!

Really? 600+ miles on a single tank? Is this a hybrid? That is the big advantage of the hybrid. I'm surprised GM is dropping their Volt. It is supposed to be a good car in many ways. I guess GM (along with many others) has seen the Tesla light and is going BEV full blast so they aren't left behind. They likely see the hybrid as a transition vehicle that has done it's job and any further development a distraction.

When digital watches came out a number of companies were caught flat footed and didn't make the transition in time. They are gone now. But then the Hamilton Watch Company isn't around either.