Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation seat retrofit, pics and tinkering with old seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a loaner with the next gen seats and it was so much more comfortable. My wife noticed the huge difference as well. I'm gonna look into this and it might be worth it since I do commute 120 miles a day. I have the textile seats and it is not very comfortable, very stiff feeling compared to the next gen.

I had a loaner with the next gen seats and it was so much more comfortable. My wife noticed the huge difference as well. I'm gonna look into this and it might be worth it since I do commute 120 miles a day. I have the textile seats and it is not very comfortable, very stiff feeling compared to the next gen.

I drive 1200mi/week and I just can't justify $6.5k for more comfortable seats. The price is outrageous. I would consider it for $1.5k maybe $2k but certainly nothing more than that. Tesla is such a rip off for their accessories and upgrades.

I drive 1200mi/week and I just can't justify $6.5k for more comfortable seats. The price is outrageous. I would consider it for $1.5k maybe $2k but certainly nothing more than that. Tesla is such a rip off for their accessories and upgrades.
I agree, I've been trying to source aftermarket seats,(that correct their inferior seats).
$6k+ to replace their poorly executed original seating is just too steep of a price to pay.

So I tinkered with the driver seat a little more. Can't figure out how to get it to move. I even hooked up a CAN bus transceiver to the CAN connection and couldn't figure anything out. It must be waiting for some command from the car or something. Doesn't seem to be an easy way for me to tap that line on the car to figure it out, either... not without damaging some wiring, which I'd rather not do.

Plan B is to just get rid of the memory module. For now I'm going to just leave it alone until I get my other project going.

Does anyone know if the memory module can be retrofitted to first gen textile seats? I'm fairly happy with the feel of my seats, I just wish they had memory so I wouldn't have to find my position every time my wife drives the car.

Seriously?

Recaro XL Topline Leather seats are around $2800 each. Since they can't reuse the seats, how is this price an issue when it includes installation and is integrated in the car with memory.

Seriously?

Recaro XL Topline Leather seats are around $2800 each. Since they can't reuse the seats, how is this price an issue when it includes installation and is integrated in the car with memory.

I'm with Yobigd20 on this one, the price is absolutely ludicrous. We're not buying seats from Recaro, we are buying them from Tesla. Recaro seats are much higher quality than anything Tesla offers.

So I tinkered with the driver seat a little more. Can't figure out how to get it to move. I even hooked up a CAN bus transceiver to the CAN connection and couldn't figure anything out. It must be waiting for some command from the car or something. Doesn't seem to be an easy way for me to tap that line on the car to figure it out, either... not without damaging some wiring, which I'd rather not do.

Plan B is to just get rid of the memory module. For now I'm going to just leave it alone until I get my other project going.

It probably wants to see the car mode CAN frame to enable the seat or something similar. Those Pektron modules all go into a low-power mode and wake up when the CAN bus becomes active, so it could be as simple as sending any CAN data just to wake it up. It also may want it's CAN frames ACK'ed or it halts.

You can access all the CAN busses from the connector under the MCU if you pull down on the little plastic cubby it will pop off revealing the connector.

WK, Can you quantify what exactly is more comfortable about the NG seats? I sat in both before my order and couldn't tell that much of a difference. The side bolsters are deeper and tighter, but that's all I noticed.

It probably wants to see the car mode CAN frame to enable the seat or something similar. Those Pektron modules all go into a low-power mode and wake up when the CAN bus becomes active, so it could be as simple as sending any CAN data just to wake it up. It also may want it's CAN frames ACK'ed or it halts.

You can access all the CAN busses from the connector under the MCU if you pull down on the little plastic cubby it will pop off revealing the connector.

WK, Can you quantify what exactly is more comfortable about the NG seats? I sat in both before my order and couldn't tell that much of a difference. The side bolsters are deeper and tighter, but that's all I noticed.

Yeah, I tried just sending some car-like data on the CAN bus pins. I never saw anything from the module to ACK. Still wouldn't move the seat. :(

As for comfort, I drive a lot of long trips. After a full day of driving in the regular seats I'm a little achy. With the next gen seats I could comfortably sit for hours and hours and be very comfortable. The side bolsters are nice, but they're not really what seem to make them more comfortable. The back and bottom portions feel a bit more conforming as well. I also don't find my backside sweating as badly with the next gen seats.

Lots of little things like that make the cost worth it to me. I jumped back and forth between the P85D (next gen) and P85 ("performance leather") when they were side by side, and being able to compare them like that back and forth it's pretty easy to tell the difference in comfort, IMO.

Might be worthwhile to watch the salvage auctions and make an offer to the buyers for a pair of next-gen seats.

Provided they aren't going to restore the car, the airbags didn't rip the seat open, and you can clean any "residue" off them. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I tried just sending some car-like data on the CAN bus pins. I never saw anything from the module to ACK. Still wouldn't move the seat. :(

As for comfort, I drive a lot of long trips. After a full day of driving in the regular seats I'm a little achy. With the next gen seats I could comfortably sit for hours and hours and be very comfortable. The side bolsters are nice, but they're not really what seem to make them more comfortable. The back and bottom portions feel a bit more conforming as well. I also don't find my backside sweating as badly with the next gen seats.

Lots of little things like that make the cost worth it to me. I jumped back and forth between the P85D (next gen) and P85 ("performance leather") when they were side by side, and being able to compare them like that back and forth it's pretty easy to tell the difference in comfort, IMO.
Hmm, I bet if you record a minute of CAN activity during startup and play it back to the seat it will probably work. Then you could start eliminating the CAN ID's one by one until you zero in on the one needed. That would be useful information!

Are both NG and original seats made by the same company? If so who? I'd love an analysis of the differences between the two. If it's just more padding or something of the like, it may be possible to modify the older seats for more comfort.

I was under the impression that the next-gen seats had 'different' firmware and required some work on the vehicles computer for them to work once swapped from standard seats
Even if so, it would be hard for a service centre to charge an arm and a leg to simply re-program the firmware. Not to mention, in several other cases of upgraded parts, people have connected them and the car has automatically recognized them.

For example I remember someone talking about adding a motorized charge port door to their older car, they were told it would need re-programming the car, but it just seemed to recognize the new hardware and work with it. Seats could easily be the same.

Even if so, it would be hard for a service centre to charge an arm and a leg to simply re-program the firmware. Not to mention, in several other cases of upgraded parts, people have connected them and the car has automatically recognized them.

If this were the case that would be great! When I ordered my S85 the only way to get the next-gen seats was to go with the P85D. Needless to say I didn't want/need the speed of the D and here in Phoenix AWD is not that big of a deal. I would love to have next-gen seats but the going rate Tesla wants is a bit steep in my opinion. Maybe only the earlier firmware needed some manual 'update'?

If anyone manages to swap out their standard seats with Next-Gen seats without having the SC flash the car do us a favor and post some details here. I would love to snag a pair of grey next-gen seats for my S85

I seriously doubt there's firmware changes needed in the car. As a matter of course, the SC's always flash current firmware for all systems any time they replace electrical components.

Besides, This would be easy to test on WK's car. All he'd have to do is connect the old seat and if it still functions normally, it's doubtful anything changed in the car.