Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation seat retrofit, pics and tinkering with old seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, owner with original 2013 seats here. I was just quoted $5792 + labor for the "next gen" front seats. A bit spendy... but in-line with what others are seeing.

For commuting distances the seats are fine. My issue is I get bad leg cramps on long drives that I don't seem to get in other cars.

I'm hoping someone else out there has a similar experience, maybe fixed by the new seats?

Aron I have the same problem. I just purchased a 2013 Model S and I can't believe how uncomfortable it is compared to my Dodge Charger. I get leg cramps and lower back pain within 20 minutes no mater what lumbar setting or seat reclining angle. I am thinking that perhaps the lack of a center console to rest my right leg on could be causing the leg cramp issue. When I sit in my charger with the seat all the way back it seems to be approx the same legroom (I am 6'2) so I am confused as to why it's so uncomfortable.

I am so sad that there really aren't any options to change the seats other than paying over 6k for the next gen seats.

Hello, owner with original 2013 seats here. I was just quoted $5792 + labor for the "next gen" front seats. A bit spendy... but in-line with what others are seeing.

For commuting distances the seats are fine. My issue is I get bad leg cramps on long drives that I don't seem to get in other cars.

I'm hoping someone else out there has a similar experience, maybe fixed by the new seats?

I didn't care for the comfort of the seats that came on my 2014 P85 (1st Gen). What I did was buy quality made Sheepskin seat covers and had extra foam installed under the driver seat bottom where your butt sits. Made a tremendous difference in both comfort and feel. They cost me $700 but were well worth it. Their website is called Classic Sheepskins, located in Southern California. My new 2016 P90D model S has the 2nd Gen seats which are nice but I made just have sheepskins put on it just to add more comfort.

I didn't care for the comfort of the seats that came on my 2014 P85 (1st Gen). What I did was buy quality made Sheepskin seat covers and had extra foam installed under the driver seat bottom where your butt sits. Made a tremendous difference in both comfort and feel. They cost me $700 but were well worth it. Their website is called Classic Sheepskins, located in Southern California. My new 2016 P90D model S has the 2nd Gen seats which are nice but I made just have sheepskins put on it just to add more comfort.

What about side airbags in the seat? Won't those be compromised?

Old thread yes...

I took delivery of my Model S in December 2016, with the old seats.

I love my S but on my long commute, the old seats are really hurting my back and neck.

I find posts like these that imply that Tesla will upgrade your seats, but when I call service, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any leads on making this happen?

Old thread yes...

I took delivery of my Model S in December 2016, with the old seats.

I love my S but on my long commute, the old seats are really hurting my back and neck.

I find posts like these that imply that Tesla will upgrade your seats, but when I call service, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any leads on making this happen?
They wont do it for free. It costs money to get the next gen seats. I think its 5k

That's steep, though not bad when you consider it's an outright purchase and doesn't include a core module credit like other Tesla products might.

I need to actually experience these seats to see how amazing they are. I'd be tempted to take the driver's seat to replace the scratched one in my car, but I'm more interested in seeing this Go Kart.

I may end up purchasing a CPO vehicle. Could you share with me, the point in production, when the improved seats were introduced?

Scannerman

I may end up purchasing a CPO vehicle. Could you share with me, the point in production, when the improved seats were introduced?

Scannerman

Sometime in late 2014 i think, theres a thread around here somewhere with a crazy timeline of all the improvements. It was not standard until very late 2016/2017... so you still need to specifically request for next gen seats for used/cpo cars.

Scannerman
They were introduced with the P85D back in October of 2014. But they were not standard, they were an available option only for people who ordered the P85D. A few months down the road, Tesla made the option available to everyone, not just P85Ds.

How’s this for reviving an old thread? There might be more DIY experience to be shared, so worth the shot.

If both the next gen seat and the car are 11/2015 (which has the basic cloth seats), would the swap be any different than described in the 1st post?