Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Ontario Corridor: Cassellman ON to Sault Ste Marie ON?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Admittedly this is a rather long post for my first but Ithink it is sufficiently important that it is justified and of interest to allOntario/Quebec Tesla enthusiasts.

Some time ago, longer than I care to admit, rather than “cherry pick” a fewspecific potential Supercharger locations which would benefit me in my commontravelswere I to purchase a Tesla Model S, I e-mailed the Tesla Supercharger Team regarding implementing a secondSupercharger Corridor in Ontario once the McDonald-Cartier Freeway (Hwy 401) SuperchargerCorridor is completed. I anticipated and proposed that 2016 would be areasonable timeframe in which to begin the build-out of this corridor unless aparticularly advantageous window of opportunity presented itself before then.My basic premise was that a Supercharger Corridor starting at the plannedSupercharger in Casselman, ON., going through to Sault Ste Marie, ON., would bea logical incremental development for the central Canada region. This is a highlytraveled portion of the east-west Trans-Canada Highway with "feedertraffic" originating both in Southern Ontario and Western Quebec. It is also the gateway route to numerous vacation areasaccessed by southern Ontarioresidents year-round. To accomplish Tesla S60 travel over the length of thiscorridor in the worst of winter weather and taking into account local geographyit was proposed that Superchargers be located at or near Pembroke, Mattawa,North Bay, Sudbury, Blind River and Sault Ste Marie. To make the corridor moresuitable for travellers originating in Ottawa or from theCornwall/Prescott/Bellville area of south-east Ontario a Supercharger locatedat Deep River was also recommended for later implementation although economiesof scale and reduced deployment costs really speak to inclusion of a Deep RiverSupercharger at the time of the initial build-out. Access between this proposedSupercharger Corridor and the MacDonald-Carter Freeway corridor would be bestserved with a Supercharger at Parry sound which would facilitate the Toronto to Sudbury linkageand one at Bracebridge which would facilitate the Torontoto North Baylinkage. (The proposed and under construction Barrie Supercharger would notbe a reliable link between the two corridors due to range and elevation demandspresented by the two linkages. A fully charged S85 could make Barrieto North Bay inideal conditions but anything other than that would be a huge gamble at best!)

The proposal was well received at Tesla and in fact in an e-mail reply I wasadvised that my submission had been forwarded to the Canadian Superchargerimplementation team and that the local knowledge regarding topography, roadconditions etc., submitted in my proposal was very valuable. To the extent thatthe 2016 Supercharger map now shows Superchargers proposed for BracebridgeNorth Bay and Sudburyit seems that Tesla’s Supercharger team is taking this proposed corridor routevery seriously. In support of that original proposal I have written to theCity/Town Councils and the Chambers Of Commerce for each proposed Superchargerlocation to foster their interest in the technology and ultimately for them toinvite Tesla to locate a Supercharger in their communities with both businesssupport in the provision of a suitable location and municipal support throughassistance/guidance in the permit application and deliberation process.

As it has now been almost a week since writing to the municipalities andchambers of commerce I think that it is time that the Tesla community as awhole in Ontario and Western Quebec, indeed any of the Tesla community who mayhave an interest in the establishment and use of such a supercharger corridor,now add their voices of support to all stakeholders, including Tesla MotorsInc.. The one aspect of my letters to the municipalities and chambers ofcommerce that is different to many approaches and identification ofSupercharger sites I have seen is my recommendation that the municipalitiesalso include an invitation to L2 and other L3 charging network operators toco-locate at the Supercharger sites. This is a critical aspect to thwart anyarguments or impressions that a group of rich people who can afford"$100+K niche cars" are seeking public subsidies so they can taketheir "toys" further afield. Concentration of all charging formats in a single location reduces thenumber of sites that must be developed benefiting the municipalities and willbenefit drivers by illustrating the differences and advantages of eachformat. Finally such a venue may alsobecome a bit of a social centre for EV enthusiasts and those interested inlearning about EVs without facing the daunting price of the Tesla Model Swithout comparisons. And yes while it is without challenge the best EV currently available, the Model Sis very expensive to over 90% of the general population as will be the Model Xwhen it is released later this year.

So it is requested that as many Tesla owners/enthusiasts as possibletake a few moments to write and submit an e-mail requesting that themunicipalities invite Tesla and at least one L2 and L3 charging networkoperator locate a charging system in their City/Town. At a minimum include a few brief comments as to theenvironmental responsibility and benefits that come with the operation of EVs,the reduced operating costs and the potential for businesses located near thecharging station to reap sales from EV drivers who are awaiting their car to becharged. If you can honestly say thatthe provision of a charging station in any or all of these municipalities wouldpersuade you to visit the area as a tourist then mention that and the potentialrevenue that could be realized therefrom. Finally point out that a complete “corridor” would be of greatestbenefit to EV drivers as well as Tesla and the L2/L3 charging network operatorsand that co-operation between all the municipalities listed would provide thebest odds of this being realized. Asimilar e-mail to the local chambers ofcommerce requesting that they engage with their municipal councils to fosterthe conditions necessary to extend an invitation to Tesla and the L2 and L3charging network would increase the visibility and highlight the potentialfuture economic benefits that could be realized.

If there is sufficient interest in my original e-mails to Tesla and each City/Town Council and theassociated Chamber of Commerce I could post them here assuming that isacceptable to the site administrators.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

Here are the contacts and the e-mail address lists for each:

Sault Ste Marie, ON.

Mayor Christian Provenzano and City Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sault Ste Marie Chamber of Commerce
** as individual chamber members’ e-mails are not listed ontheir website request that the GeneralManager distribute your e-mail to all officers and directors**

President Barsanti, Officers and Directors, Sault Ste MarieChamber of Commerce
General Manger Ms. Shelley Barich.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Blind River, ON

Mayor Sue Jensen and Town Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Town Clerk Katie Scott
[email protected]

Blind River Chamber of Commerce
** as individual chamber members’ e-mails are not listed ontheir website request that the secretarydistribute your e-mail to all officers and directors**

President Demers, Officers and Directors, Blind RiverChamber of Commerce
Secretary Ms. Inalyn Tulloch.

[email protected]

Sudbury, ON.

Mayor Brian Bigger and City Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

City Administrative Office, Ms. Caroline Hallsworth

[email protected]

Greater SudburyChamber of Commerce
** as individual chamber members’ e-mails are not listed ontheir website request that the Presidentand CEO distribute your e-mail to all officers and directors**

Chair Jeffery, Officers and Directors, Sudbury Chamber of Commerce
President and CEO Ms. Debbi Nicholson.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

North Bay, ON.

Mayor Al McDonald and City Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

City Clerk, Ms. Cathy Conrad

[email protected]

Mattawa, ON.

Mayor Dean Backer and Town Council

** individual e-mails are not listed on the townwebsite. Request that the town clerkdistribute your e-mail to each town council member. **

[email protected]

North BayChamber of Commerce

** note that the North Bay Chamber of Commerce alsorepresents business interests in Mattawa so ensure you mention both North Bayand Mattawa Charging Stations in your e-mail to this Chamber of Commerce. As individual chamber members’ e-mails arenot listed on their website request thatthe Executive Director distribute your e-mail to all officers and directors**

President Shogren, Officers and Directors, North Bay Chamber of Commerce
Executive Director, Ms. Patti Carr.

[email protected]
[email protected]

City of Pembroke

Mayor Michael LeMay and City Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

City Clerk, Mr Terry Lapierre

[email protected]

Town of Deep River

Mayor Joan Lougheed and Town Councillors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Town Clerk, Mr. Ric McGee

[email protected]

Upper Ottawa ValleyChamber of Commerce

** Note that business concerns for both Pembroke and DeepRiver are represented by the “umbrella” Upper Ottawa Valley Chamber of Commerceso ensure that both Pembroke and Deep River are mentioned in your e-mail to this Chamber ofCommerce. As individual chamber members’e-mails are not listed on their website request that the Executive Directordistribute your e-mail to all officers and directors**

President McInall, Officers and Directors, Upper Ottawa Valley Chamber ofCommerce,
Executive Director Ms. Lorraine MacKenzie.

[email protected]

Town of Parry Sound

Mayor Jamie McGarvey and Town Councilors

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Town Clerk, Mr. Rob Mens

[email protected]

Parry Sound Chamber of Commerce

President Ryeland, Officers and Directors, Parry SoundChamber of Commerce
Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Perry Harris.

**As individual chamber members’ e-mails are not listed ontheir website request that the Chief Executive Officer distribute your e-mailto all officers and directors**

[email protected]

Town of Bracebridge

Mayor Graydon Smith and Town Council

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Chief Administrative Officer, Mr. John Sisson.

[email protected]

Bracebridge Chamber of Commerce

** Note that the Officers and Directors of this Chamber ofCommerce use their regular business e-mail addresses for Chamber business. Add BRACEBRIDGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BUSINESS to the Subject line of youre-mail.**

President Sprague, Officers and Directors, BracebridgeChamber of Commerce

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Executive Director, Ms. Brenda Rhodes and her assitant

[email protected]
[email protected]

The hardest part of installing a super charger or any DC charger is finding available land. Land in Ontario is just so expensive. DC charging units are not that expensive right now in the $15,000 range with ABB and Charge Point units coming next year.