Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next release speculation and wishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather take the phantom brake fix and a more stable autopilot over how fast the new Tesla can run Cyberpunk 2077. Autopilot was the main attraction for me when I leased the Tesla but now I can't wait to hand it back next year!

Reactions: drewpost
Frankly, if the UI isn't improved via an update soon I'm going to sell the car, as it's getting close to the point where the usability issues outweigh the really great aspects of the car. I can put up with the poor build quality, wind noise, etc, but not being able to easily do things like control the wipers or see how fast I'm going is a constant PITA.

Frankly, if the UI isn't improved via an update soon I'm going to sell the car, as it's getting close to the point where the usability issues outweigh the really great aspects of the car. I can put up with the poor build quality, wind noise, etc, but not being able to easily do things like control the wipers or see how fast I'm going is a constant PITA.

The most dangerous time for a business is sometimes not the moment when it avoids going bust, but the phase of optimism after it's avoided that fate, when it starts to feel invincible. Tesla seems to be in this phase now. Sure, expanding production and the tech are all the right way to go, but the focus on FSD seems to be distracting from the whole user experience at the moment. And the focus on pushing out crap features like games and farting at pedestrians really just rubs salt in. Its great being able to book an appointment on the app, but only if the service centre doesn't then hide behind it if you have a problem that is not an easy fix. When you start to hear "it is within Tesla's tolerance limits" when people are raising problems that should not exist in the first place, you know there is an arrogance developing. They clearly don't consult outside of their bubble, resulting in the UI farce. Software pushed out is full of annoying bugs that they don't seem interested in fixing. Sad to see the initial we're in it together community between the company and its customers is on the wane, but I guess this happens to every business. These issues are as important as the big mission and in reality not hard to fix, if they wanted to. They have ample resources for sure. If they lose their customers trust they've got issues. They need to remember they've only got about 1mn Tesla customers, much can go wrong. And competition is (slowly) hotting up!

The thing that really bugs me is that improving the UI, especially from the perspective of RHD cars, where around 88% of drivers have to use the screen with their non-dominant hand, doesn't seem to be a particularly difficult challenge. FSD is an admirable goal, but it seems a fair way off becoming a reality, and until that time we still have to drive manually almost all the time, which means being able to clearly see key information at a glance, and be able to easily operate safety-critical controls, like the wipers.

The thing that really bugs me is that improving the UI, especially from the perspective of RHD cars, where around 88% of drivers have to use the screen with their non-dominant hand, doesn't seem to be a particularly difficult challenge. FSD is an admirable goal, but it seems a fair way off becoming a reality, and until that time we still have to drive manually almost all the time, which means being able to clearly see key information at a glance, and be able to easily operate safety-critical controls, like the wipers.

I find the UI discussion really interesting, shows how personal something like this can be. For me, the speedo is more in my sightline and is easier than where it was. With the wipers if I need them to do something I just hit the button on the stalk, never adjusted them on the screen.

I would like more software stability though, last 2 mornings the car hasn't woken up and needed unlocking twice to get the screen to come on.

And the satnav is terrible... Round here it doesn't seem to have a clue how to negotiate the roundabouts. Told to go left, when the exit is straight over or use the middle lane to go left...

Not really done the long autopilot drives to deal with phantom braking. Only once I have had it, and the truck in question was drifting into my lane in this instance.

Reactions: pow216 and Tonyf
Y’all funny. Autopilot works just fine 99 percent of the time. The new UI isn’t as good as the OG but it is still ok...

I think there may well be a significant difference for us (I'm guessing that you may not be here in the UK?). AP on RHD cars seems generally pretty poor, verging on being downright dangerous at times. The same goes for the UI,having the screen to the left, operated by the left hand, is significantly less convenient than for a right handed driver in a LHD car. I strongly suspect that at least some of the problems are related to the nature of UK roads.

Based on my experience of having lived and worked in the US for a short time, I get the feeling that AP may be optimised for the nature of most US roads. A trivial example is the dominant wheelie bin visualisations. Here they are just pointless, but I recently learned that in some parts of the US the car being able to uniquely detect wheelie bins may be important. It may be an indication that perhaps there has been little effort put in to making the AP system, and the UI, better suited to our roads and driving conditions.

I'm also in the possibly UK small group who don't have any difficulty seeing the speed, and who is quite happy to overridde the auto wipers from time to time by pressing the stick

Same here .. there are several aspects that I would like improved but there are no deal breakers. The other positive thing is that at least we know the UI can be changed in software updates. If you don't get along with certain control positions in most other cars you know you are stuck with them forever.

Reactions: pow216
I'm also in the possibly UK small group who don't have any difficulty seeing the speed, and who is quite happy to overridde the auto wipers from time to time by pressing the stick

The speed display visibility for me is solely as a consequence of it having been moved to the right in the recent UI change, plus the font being made a lot smaller. Before that update, it was fine, I couldn't see the speed limit icon before, but that was no big deal. For me there are two issues, one being that my most comfortable seating position means my left hand partially obscures the right hand edge of the screen, if I drive in the natural hand position on the wheel, around "ten to two".

This will be different for everyone, I'm sure, and just depends on height and the relative length of legs and arms between different individuals. These vary a heck of a lot from one person to another. A very good friend of mine is 5ft 2in, I'm 5ft 10in. When we're sat down we both seem to be exactly the same height. All of the height difference between us is in leg length, mostly upper leg length, as sat side by side on a bench our knees are more or less the same height off the ground, but well over 6" different in horizontal distance from the back of the bench.

The smaller font made the speed display more of a problem for me, as I wear glasses for driving (along with a few million others in the UK, I suspect) and the combination of the relatively poor contrast, the speed display being off to the side and the smaller font size means that it takes longer for my eyes to re-focus from the road ahead to the speed display now. Because the display is smaller, better focus is needed to read it, with a bigger display it can be a bit fuzzy around the edges and still be easily and quickly readable.

I can see the speed too and never got too excited about the wiper issue either. There is a button to wipe and I’m happy with that.

That said, I’m not a huge fan of the UI update, in particular the increase in white space and reduction of font size.

The most dangerous time for a business is sometimes not the moment when it avoids going bust, but the phase of optimism after it's avoided that fate, when it starts to feel invincible. Tesla seems to be in this phase now. Sure, expanding production and the tech are all the right way to go, but the focus on FSD seems to be distracting from the whole user experience at the moment. And the focus on pushing out crap features like games and farting at pedestrians really just rubs salt in. Its great being able to book an appointment on the app, but only if the service centre doesn't then hide behind it if you have a problem that is not an easy fix. When you start to hear "it is within Tesla's tolerance limits" when people are raising problems that should not exist in the first place, you know there is an arrogance developing. They clearly don't consult outside of their bubble, resulting in the UI farce. Software pushed out is full of annoying bugs that they don't seem interested in fixing. Sad to see the initial we're in it together community between the company and its customers is on the wane, but I guess this happens to every business. These issues are as important as the big mission and in reality not hard to fix, if they wanted to. They have ample resources for sure. If they lose their customers trust they've got issues. They need to remember they've only got about 1mn Tesla customers, much can go wrong. And competition is (slowly) hotting up!
Some of this resonates with me. I don’t consider Tesla as being unassailable. In fact, in some European markets their market share dropped last year. It’ll probably decline more this year simply because there are so many alternatives coming into the market. The Berlin factory will hopefully counter that, but I do agree that they need to sort out the underlying quality and customer service if they are going to fully capitalise on that. They definitely have the resources, and the leadership so I remain hopeful.

Reactions: Jez_GB