Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next release speculation and wishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flashing lights also not great when parked up at a hotel or other carpark with adjacent sleeping accommodation - trade off between not using sentry or moving car to more secluded area.

I thought that Tesla were actually making/had made changes but its been a long time since I had seen reference to this.
Think Elon said something about it, but then I guess it got forgotten about.

I guess the one thing that affects us all as Tesla owners is that our cars are evolving. Our opinions differ as to whether our car is evolving well. We must realise that in the scheme of things, we are still early adopters. Most car owners buy a car and what they buy is what they get until the day the sell it.
We all have different expectations, desires and needs. I confess, I don’t like the new UI. To me, it’s a dog’s breakfast. Unlike Glan, my driving position doesn’t affect my line of sight to the speedo but the rightmost icons are all obscured by my hand. Other items are too small.
The speedo was fine and yet, in my Prius the digital readout was massive. In my Ioniq, the speedo was a dial but a small digital display was also available. I used that quite happily. I too hope that size and position is restored.
I must admit that whilst it’s a bit of fun, I don’t really need a four-wheeled games machine that farts :p but I do look forward to a car that evolves into one that has every useful convenience that I could want. Right now it’s sadly lacking in some areas whilst excelling in others. I’m confident that it will come good.
I don’t always agree with some of the posts on this forum, but I always respect the views expressed.

Model 3s are relatively new, but Tesla isn't. They have had many years to refine the software development / features targeting, I think. I think there is a danger of giving them too much "startup" credit.

Each new update seems to have had a decent amount of dev time spent on games. I appreciate everyone is different, and I am in a minority I guess where if I had been out and about public charging I probably wouldn't sit in the car anyway, I'd go for a walk, or in pre-COVID days I would've gone to the pub and had some food while charging, etc. I haven't played any games in my Model 3 and I don't have any plans to. It's just not an environment I would choose to be in for extended periods of time when I could either just go in the house or - if in public - grab a coffee or something.

Clearly though Tesla seem to think a significant amount of their customer base spent every waking moment in their cars. Perhaps they do in the States? I guess there are places you might supercharge where there isn't anything practically nearby, I dunno.

There are a bunch of things that I think are fundamentally wrong with the car, stuff that ought to be pretty easy to fix or at least spend some quality time working on. Auto main beam is laughably bad - and on a car that is supposed to "see" things everywhere, more than other cars, the fact it can't see brake lights or even register ambient lighting (e.g. travelling through villages with street lighting) beggars belief. There's other stuff, super simple things, like gapless playback on USB tracks. Why hasn't it been sorted? I can only assume it's not as interesting as an update to Fallout Shelter.

Any UI will inevitably have its fans and haters. Tesla UI is not perfect, but on the whole I can’t think of a better or more intuitive UI in any other car. I hated BMW iDrive and Volvo’s touchscreen and UI is less responsive and less intuitive to operate. Jaguar iPace likewise. Porsche are still stuck in the last decade.

A bit more customisation of the UI would be nice. I don’t need the FSD window to be so large in my Model 3. Would be great if you could resize it or hide it completely. The rest is actually fine for me. An overhead 360 degree camera view would be better for parking. The Volvo one is great.

Reactions: Tonyf
I don't get why they don't have 3 or 4 different layouts you can select from like the audi cockpit view - or better still one you can configure yourself (the BMW big screen on the latest cars works that way although it would need to be better than that) You could have different modes - not bothered about sat nav or the car sensor thing? then you can see something else, maybe have one massive speedo if you wanted it. The older MS/MX system is a bit that way - you can put what you wanted on the left and right but its very limited, and the MCU screen you used to be able to have various displays top and bottom but its moved away from that.

Tesla also made a thing about doing away with buttons but now you have busy pages of multiple switches and configurations, its not made life simpler.

But widening the topic further, there are still some very basic things Tesla are playing catch up on the industry. People say the new M3 headlights are much brighter but until they do the adaptive/clever full beam blanking out for oncoming traffic they're not up there with the industry practice on 50k cars, they've only just introduced brake drying for heaven sake, a feature thats been around for decades.

The 360 birds eye view has previously been dismissed because the cameras don’t point down which is really what you need. It’s the downside of minimum viable product design.. they didn’t work out what all the features needed to be at the beginning, just what they needed to get going, it’s also caused other issues like why there’s no low power mode for sentry mode.

I'm just quoting Elon, although he has a history of not delivering. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1312253928667410432?s=19

The guy know how to turn a relatively common and well executed feature on many cars into techno science mumbo jump speak.

Remember when auto wipers became "Deep Rain Machine learning" or something like that, not that they improved much.