Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next release speculation and wishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought '25 past 6' was the natural position :)

Being serious, you may have a point, in that when I was living in the US it did seem that a lot of people drive with their hands towards the bottom of the wheel. I wonder if driving instructors there ram home the "ten to two" thing and to slide the wheel through your hands, and never cross your arms method? Interestingly, when I did an advanced driving course a few years ago, one of the things the instructor mentioned was that crossing your arms was OK in some circumstances! I remember my driving instructor back in 1969 practically rapping me around the knuckles if I ever did it. Same with always keeping my hands at "ten to two" on the wheel.

But seriously, how hard would it be to allow people to move stuff around - a bit like Apple's was, where you can fill set spaces with whatever you want.

Got to be pretty easy to do. There's so much wasted space at the moment, from my personal perspective, that I'd minimise the driving visualisation window and expand some of the key displays that are actually useful, like speed, regen and light status and make the wiper controls bigger. Having big wheelie bins displayed on a screen where the speed is barely readable seems to be an odd choice of priorities to me!

As I'm sure you all know, the current advice is not the "ten to two" but the "9.15" due to the increased damage by airbags. Perhaps the ui has this in mind?

Thanks, not something I was aware of. Seems obvious, thinking about it, as presumably there's an increased risk of damage to the arms if they are too high on the wheel. Probably useful if this was more widely promulgated by the government, perhaps. I did an advanced driving course back in 2004 and it wasn't mentioned then, so presumably it's a relatively recent change.

Frankly, if the UI isn't improved via an update soon I'm going to sell the car, as it's getting close to the point where the usability issues outweigh the really great aspects of the car. I can put up with the poor build quality, wind noise, etc, but not being able to easily do things like control the wipers or see how fast I'm going is a constant PITA.

With all due respect, is this not a bit of an overreaction?
Can't easily access the wipers? Either have them on auto or press once on the left stalk to bring up the menu that's extremely close to your left hand?

Can't see how fast you're going? Ummmm the speedo is on the top right of the screen. I'm pretty sure it's easy to see.
Confused.

On a more positive note.

I'd love to have a 360 birds eye view for reversing. With all the camera's the vehicle has I imagine this is just a software issue and will be available soon.

Another thing would be to add some sort of blind spot monitoring system. Possible bring up the side camera when you indicate.

Also I wonder if they'll redesign the UI in V11. The pics of the new Model S might be a give away!

With all due respect, is this not a bit of an overreaction?
Can't easily access the wipers? Either have them on auto or press once on the left stalk to bring up the menu that's extremely close to your left hand?

Can't see how fast you're going? Ummmm the speedo is on the top right of the screen. I'm pretty sure it's easy to see.
Confused.

Both points have been explained in other posts, but in brief, much of my driving (all of it in the past month) is at night, almost always on narrow A/B roads. Not much of an issue with the wipers in the summer, on auto they would often throw a wobbly, but much of the time that wasn't a significant problem. However, over the past couple of months or so the auto function seems to have got a lot worse, maybe because of an update, maybe because of more driving in the dark. I've had to stop the car several times now in order to turn the wipers on or off, because that was the only safe thing to do.

The issue is either that the wipers run flat out in auto, with no rain, smearing the screen such that visibility is seriously impaired (seemed to be mainly an issue at dusk, which made it worse in terms of visibility out of the screen) or that the wipers wouldn't turn on in a heavy downpour. The latter is impossible to resolve without stopping, as the only way to gain any visibility is to keep pressing the button on the stalk to get a single wash/wipe, and that means that it's not at all easy to also try and jab the right area on the touch screen with the same hand. On a windy narrow road in the dark, with oncoming traffic, there really is no option other than to stop and turn the wipers to manual. If there was, then trust me, I'd have used it.

The speed display used to be visible for me, when it was near the top centre of the right side of the screen. The speed limit sign that used to be to the right of it was hidden behind my left hand, but that didn't matter. Since the update a few weeks ago, the speed display has moved to where the speed limit display was and the font was reduced in size by about 30% or so. For me, this makes the speed display difficult to see. I can't see it just from a glance any longer, I have to move my left hand off the wheel and also look at the screen for longer to read the smaller display clearly. As mentioned above, like a few million others, I wear glasses. This means it takes longer to refocus from the road ahead to the new, smaller, speed display. In my view, speed is something that any driver should be able to see with a very quick glance away from the road. Since the update this has not been the case for me, although it was OK before.

Both points have been explained in other posts, but in brief, much of my driving (all of it in the past month) is at night, almost always on narrow A/B roads. Not much of an issue with the wipers in the summer, on auto they would often throw a wobbly, but much of the time that wasn't a significant problem. However, over the past couple of months or so the auto function seems to have got a lot worse, maybe because of an update, maybe because of more driving in the dark. I've had to stop the car several times now in order to turn the wipers on or off, because that was the only safe thing to do.

The issue is either that the wipers run flat out in auto, with no rain, smearing the screen such that visibility is seriously impaired (seemed to be mainly an issue at dusk, which made it worse in terms of visibility out of the screen) or that the wipers wouldn't turn on in a heavy downpour. The latter is impossible to resolve without stopping, as the only way to gain any visibility is to keep pressing the button on the stalk to get a single wash/wipe, and that means that it's not at all easy to also try and jab the right area on the touch screen with the same hand. On a windy narrow road in the dark, with oncoming traffic, there really is no option other than to stop and turn the wipers to manual. If there was, then trust me, I'd have used it.

The speed display used to be visible for me, when it was near the top centre of the right side of the screen. The speed limit sign that used to be to the right of it was hidden behind my left hand, but that didn't matter. Since the update a few weeks ago, the speed display has moved to where the speed limit display was and the font was reduced in size by about 30% or so. For me, this makes the speed display difficult to see. I can't see it just from a glance any longer, I have to move my left hand off the wheel and also look at the screen for longer to read the smaller display clearly. As mentioned above, like a few million others, I wear glasses. This means it takes longer to refocus from the road ahead to the new, smaller, speed display. In my view, speed is something that any driver should be able to see with a very quick glance away from the road. Since the update this has not been the case for me, although it was OK before.

If you drove a normal Ice car with a normal speedometer? Wouldn't the mph numbers on the speedometer be smaller than the size of the font of the speed on the Model 3?

For me I would like an easy way to set your speed in road works on the motorway or A roads. I have had other cars where you could easily set a max speed to not go above or a cruising speed. So when you approach a set of road works it would great to set a max speed so allow some slow down/speed up for approaching other cars.

For me I would like an easy way to set your speed in road works on the motorway or A roads. I have had other cars where you could easily set a max speed to not go above or a cruising speed. So when you approach a set of road works it would great to set a max speed so allow some slow down/speed up for approaching other cars.

if you pull done once on the right stalk you'll enter cruise control and then you can set the limit with your right scroll wheel! Super quick!

Another thing would be to add some sort of blind spot

upload_2021-2-1_21-9-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-1_21-6-50.png
    upload_2021-2-1_21-6-50.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 60
if you pull done once on the right stalk you'll enter cruise control and then you can set the limit with your right scroll wheel! Super quick!

With all due respect, I take it that you have not had your car very long.

There is a reason why people want features like a speed limiter. Unfortunately, the reality is that many features, such as TACC, auto wipers etc, do not consistently work as expected even if driven within the limitations specified in the manual. In my experience, use of TACC within roadworks is not appropriate in many conditions. A speed limiter would have its uses in all circumstances and many more.

There are many scenarios where simple tried and tested features outperform for convenience and safety the Tesla offerings.

If you drove a normal Ice car with a normal speedometer? Wouldn't the mph numbers on the speedometer be smaller than the size of the font of the speed on the Model 3?

We're well into the realm of ergonomics and the science of HMI design here, but there are a couple of well-understood principles.

A moving needle or graphic speed (or any other parameter) display isn't read by reading numerical values, our visual cortex translates learned position to numerical information without readings any digits. Best known example is a clock, where a glance at the position of the hands is enough to tell the time - we don't need to read the numbers they are pointing to. It's also why graphical representations of dials are still widely used for safety critical information presentation, for example glass cockpits in modern aircraft, that use displays that are near-identical, in terms of technology, to that in Teslas.

Information presented by a numeric display needs to use larger digits, with a high contrast, in order to be read quickly. This is why, on every car that uses a numeric speed display the digits are so large. It's also why the display on digital clocks needs larger digits than those on a clock with hands. Until the recent software update the Model 3 was the same, the speed display digits were larger than pretty much anything else on the screen. They are now significantly smaller, enough of a size difference to create a noticeable increase in eye accommodation time, which adds to the time that eyes need to be off the road ahead and looking at the display.

The fact that the display is off to one side slightly exacerbates this delay, as our eyes are unable to focus anywhere other than straight ahead, all we can detect away from the fovea centralis is really movement and blurred imagery - we need to physically move our eyes so they are pointing straight at something to focus enough to read figures. Our eyes also move faster in the up and down direction than they do when moving sideways. This is why some prefer key information to be displayed straight ahead, or even on a HUD, it makes acquiring information both easier and faster. It's also why aircraft primary flight instruments , on any sort of display, still stick to a well-proven arrangement such that the most important instruments need the least amount of eye/head movement to be able to read. Arguably, the speed display in a car needs to be able to be read even more quickly. A couple of seconds of eyes in time in an aircraft is rarely much of a risk. A couple of seconds of eyes in time when driving a car on a busy road poses a significantly greater risk.

We're well into the realm of ergonomics and the science of HMI design here, but there are a couple of well-understood principles.

A moving needle or graphic speed (or any other parameter) display isn't read by reading numerical values, our visual cortex translates learned position to numerical information without readings any digits. Best known example is a clock, where a glance at the position of the hands is enough to tell the time - we don't need to read the numbers they are pointing to. It's also why graphical representations of dials are still widely used for safety critical information presentation, for example glass cockpits in modern aircraft, that use displays that are near-identical, in terms of technology, to that in Teslas.

Information presented by a numeric display needs to use larger digits, with a high contrast, in order to be read quickly. This is why, on every car that uses a numeric speed display the digits are so large. It's also why the display on digital clocks needs larger digits than those on a clock with hands. Until the recent software update the Model 3 was the same, the speed display digits were larger than pretty much anything else on the screen. They are now significantly smaller, enough of a size difference to create a noticeable increase in eye accommodation time, which adds to the time that eyes need to be off the road ahead and looking at the display.

The fact that the display is off to one side slightly exacerbates this delay, as our eyes are unable to focus anywhere other than straight ahead, all we can detect away from the fovea centralis is really movement and blurred imagery - we need to physically move our eyes so they are pointing straight at something to focus enough to read figures. Our eyes also move faster in the up and down direction than they do when moving sideways. This is why some prefer key information to be displayed straight ahead, or even on a HUD, it makes acquiring information both easier and faster. It's also why aircraft primary flight instruments , on any sort of display, still stick to a well-proven arrangement such that the most important instruments need the least amount of eye/head movement to be able to read. Arguably, the speed display in a car needs to be able to be read even more quickly. A couple of seconds of eyes in time in an aircraft is rarely much of a risk. A couple of seconds of eyes in time when driving a car on a busy road poses a significantly greater risk.

I'm not gonna lie, TLDR however with the level of detail that you've gone into in regards to the visual cortex and the science of HMI design. I think I'd agree with your initial statement that maybe this car isn't for you and you'd be best of going tried and tested with what has suited you in pervious cars! Haha

Reactions: pow216
I'm not gonna lie, TLDR however with the level of detail that you've gone into in regards to the visual cortex and the science of HMI design. I think I'd agree with your initial statement that maybe this car isn't for you and you'd be best of going tried and tested with what has suited you in pervious cars! Haha

Just to be clear, the issues I have now with the speed display are solely as a consequence of the update a few weeks ago. When I bought the car, and for the first year I owned the Model 3 I had no problem with the speed display at all. It's the fact that the update a few weeks ago created a problem with the UI that is the main issue.

The niggles with the auto wiper function are long standing problems, but they do seem to have changed from time to time, also, I suspect, as a consequence of software changes. Not sure how long you've had your car, but after a while most owners get used to the fact that things change, often in seemingly inexplicable ways, with software updates. This is also not something that seems to affect all cars equally. For example, sometimes the car may need a reboot after an update, whereas for other owners it doesn't. Some have experienced the screen going black after an update, needing a reboot, but so far, in the 14 months I've had my car this has never happened to my car (that's probably tempting fate!). However, two updates last year caused my headlights to point skywards, but only one or two others had the same issue. The first time I had to get the lights re-aligned at a local garage, last time it happened I had to have a go at resetting them myself, as they had set themselves right up and to the right as far as they would go. The same goes with the various false alarms the car will get on TACC or AP. Software updates have changed some of these, although random phantom emergency braking on TACC seems to be consistent, as does some of the problems the car's sensors have when passing other vehicles, or at some road junctions.

With all due respect, I take it that you have not had your car very long.

What's that got to do with anything? Since when is their a hierarchy here based on how long anyone has had a car or anything else. A polite explanation of the difference between a speed limiter and TACC would have sufficed.

Unless they give one of the scroll wheels some kind of pop up menu I can't really see there being a way to get to a speed limit function, it wouldn't be appropriate to be set on the screen alone.