Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next release speculation and wishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed limiter would be so easy to implement.. it even has one, but only in the app and limited to very slow speeds.

As said above Tesla are concentrating on FSD to the expense of everything else, and it shows. AP has stagnated.. it's worse now than it was a year ago. We got one pedal driving and.. a bunch of games, and eventually some nonsensical UI changes that were described as 'on fire'. Voice control is worse than it was a year ago, auto wipers remain crap.. you *still* can't turn on the fog lights without going into menus whilst driving...

Oh and the maps are now ~18 months old, and miss many changes done recently, making navigation in some areas pretty unreliable.

No point in having regular software updates if the glaring bugs are never fixed. You're no better than any other car which was released without the bugs in the first place..

Giving the scroll wheels more functionality seems something really useful. We know they are software controlled, so being able to adapt them to different functions, depending on circumstance, could make a really big difference to the usability of the HMI. For example, in addition to popping up the wiper menu at the bottom of the screen when the wash/wipe button is pressed, one of the scroll wheels could also be activated as a wiper function control for a few seconds.

This multifunction thing already happens with the left scroll wheel and volume; move that when the navigation voice is active and it changes its volume, move it when the nav voice isn't active and it changes the main infotainment system volume. The right scroll wheel seems under-utilised at the moment, so adding a short period of wiper control functionality to that would seem possible.

Alternatively, the button on the indicator stalk could be made multifunctional, short press for wash/wipe, long press for wipers on or off, longer press to increase speed. The right hand stalk already works a bit like this to activate daft things like the Rainbow Road, and as both stalks are just basically Mercedes sourced momentary-type controls, we know that they are just triggering inputs to one of the body control MCUs, so could be reconfigured to do other things if there was a will to do it.

Reactions: Jez_GB

I've not had (I think) this blind spot chime activate fortunately, but I've enabled it.

But if anyone has, does it also show a message or graphic on the screen? How would I recognise this specific chime over all the others?

At times I find myself a bit overloaded by bongs and chimes, quite a few are false alarms. I have had an alarm for leaving the lane when it was just roadworks and cones.

I would too like a feature to customise the screen layout, or at least pick from one or two options. Then it can store this with my profile. I can totally understand how everyone ends up with a different view of the screen depending upon their driving position. I still find I can't set the drivers side mirror exactly as I want it, yet for others it's fine.

Although, I did test drive a BMW 1 series when they were first out and my seating position combined with the steering wheel design meant I couldn't see all of the speedometer in front of me. So I scrubbed that off my list.

I did test drive a BMW 1 series when they were first out and my seating position combined with the steering wheel design meant I couldn't see all of the speedometer in front of me. So I scrubbed that off my list.

Which is the way it should be.. not every car suits everyone.

Now imagine if it had been fine and you bought BMW, were happy with it and they snuck in overnight and moved the speedometer so you couldn't see it..

Which is the way it should be.. not every car suits everyone.

Now imagine if it had been fine and you bought BMW, were happy with it and they snuck in overnight and moved the speedometer so you couldn't see it..

Which is EXACTLY what has happened to me. The damned speed display moved overnight so I now can't easily see it, whereas for the year I'd owned the car up until then it had been fine. Just having the option to roll back the update, or not accept that part would have been fine, but this was done with zero warning - update notification don't tell you what they are going to change. My first drive after that update turned out to be a bit of a night time nightmare drive, heavy rain, pitch dark, wipers doing their usual erratic thing, plus I could tell how fast I was going. Not a great evening drive,

For me the speed limiter is the number one missing feature.

In my BMW I used the speed limiter ALL the time. Never used the cruise control.
I like to be in control, I want to accelerate, but driving in London is risky, so many speed checks, so many traffic light, there is no way you can keep your speed constant.
I used to set the speed limiter, dynamically, and then I was sure I was never going to pass it no matter what. NO matter how hard I was accelerating after a green light.
It is quite distracting having to continuously glance on my left side to check the speed (In my old BMW I also had the HUD, and I miss it)

I find the view of the speed just fine.

Before the Tesla I’ve had BMWs onwards from a 1983 323i... never could I see between 40-80 mph because of the wheel. I was a great fan of the cars and had to learn to live with it.

I do wonder wonder why people who prefer the tried & tested solutions buy a Tesla. If you don’t want a software update ever buy a VW. If you want great panel gaps buy anything German. If you want to play chess while waiting on the school run and later smoke a lambo off the lights in the pouring rain buy a Tesla. If you want to be able to overtake a defender in the snow - buy a Tesla. If you like the excitement of getting new features - for free - buy a Tesla (or an iPhone!).

If you’re not happy - residuals are good - WBAC -> Hyundai i30?

Progress is hampered by people who are stuck with the old ways. Innovate or die.

Progress is hampered by people who are stuck with the old ways. Innovate or die.

There are major risks with this view though, Sure, innovation is great, some changes I've seen in cockpit design in the psst 20 years have been nothing shorty of miraculous. The golden rule is to never, ever, break basic functionality on the alter of the god of change
though, and Tesla seems to be very definitely heading down that path in order to disrupt the market.

The model 3 seems to be deliberately moving towards a time where the driver will have no controls, That's fine, but for the next few years we have to be able to drive safely when autopilot cannot handle all conditions, and to do that we need quick and easy controls, Arguably, as we move into a supervisory roll, ready ton take over control from the autopilot at very short notice, we need very good controls, better by far in terms if reaction time and instant ease of use than for normal driving controls. The reason is down to how long it takes a supervisory driver to recognise there is a potential issue and then get into a position where the car can be safely and quickly brought back under manual control.

Reactions: Horatio Alger
On a more positive note.

I'd love to have a 360 birds eye view for reversing. With all the camera's the vehicle has I imagine this is just a software issue and will be available soon.

Another thing would be to add some sort of blind spot monitoring system. Possible bring up the side camera when you indicate.

Also I wonder if they'll redesign the UI in V11. The pics of the new Model S might be a give away!

Allegedly this is being worked on, although Elon hinted it would be just for FSD owners. I think that would be very cheeky, given its not a FSD feature (you're still driving!) and other cheaper cars include it by default.

Reactions: pow216
Y’all funny. Autopilot works just fine 99 percent of the time. The new UI isn’t as good as the OG but it is still ok...

yes, and then after 99 meters it tries to kill you.

Same here .. there are several aspects that I would like improved but there are no deal breakers. The other positive thing is that at least we know the UI can be changed in software updates. If you don't get along with certain control positions in most other cars you know you are stuck with them forever.

on other cars you know what it will look like forever when you buy it. But many modern cars have multiple dash options the driver can select from a range, that’s way better than what Tesla offer.

What's that got to do with anything? Since when is their a hierarchy here based on how long anyone has had a car or anything else..

Comments based on a year or so of ownership and having experienced multiple software updates, multiple dealings with Tesla and longer term reliability issues (for good or bad) carry much more weight and generally show more balance. Who’s opinion would you value more, somebody who’s still in the honeymoon period and sees no wrong, somebody who did no research, picked up a faulty car and thinks everything is dreadful, or someone who has actually spent some time with the car, experienced the good and the bad?

Allegedly this is being worked on, although Elon hinted it would be just for FSD owners. I think that would be very cheeky, given its not a FSD feature (you're still driving!) and other cheaper cars include it by default.
The 360 birds eye view has previously been dismissed because the cameras don’t point down which is really what you need. It’s the downside of minimum viable product design.. they didn’t work out what all the features needed to be at the beginning, just what they needed to get going, it’s also caused other issues like why there’s no low power mode for sentry mode.

Fixes / changes I’d like to see.
A, Out of car route planning with waypoints that can then transfer to the cat upon request.
B, Sensitivity level for Sentry Cam, I park in a couple of places where it’s constantly false alarming which attracts attention rather than secures against attention.
C, Phantom braking when passing parked or slower vehicles. Constantly happening and happened twice in 6 years of Jaguar ownership.
D, Wind noise reduction could be improved and doesn’t need much.
E, Improved rim protection, M3P uberturbines are too exposed.

Other than that I love this car and three years from now I know I’ll not be returning to Jaguars......

With all due respect, I take it that you have not had your car very long.

What's that got to do with anything? Since when is their a hierarchy here based on how long anyone has had a car or anything else. A polite explanation of the difference between a speed limiter and TACC would have sufficed.

You took my quote out of the context with the remainder of the post. Its nothing to do with any length of ownership hierarchy, but that experience may temper expectation. If read in conjunction with the rest of the same post (specific part below), its an indication that as more time is spent with the vehicle, the vehicles foibles are exposed and that reality may be quite different to expectations and what may appear to be a good suggestion may well have been tried and dismissed in certain circumstances by others.

Unfortunately, the reality is that many features, such as TACC, auto wipers etc, do not consistently work as expected even if driven within the limitations specified in the manual.

I notice that you didn't comment on the OP's own earlier use of "With all due respect" etc.

Its nothing to do with any length of ownership hierarchy

as more time is spent with the vehicle, the vehicles foibles are exposed
Straight up contradiction. Also you don't know how long the other poster has had a Model 3 or how many miles they have done (surely matters more), you've just assumed something then used it as evidence to diminish their opinion through patronisation. Not that it matters but I've had a Model 3 since August 9, 2019, so longer than most. I also don't see any need for a speed limiter and have happily used Autopilot in the motorway roadworks I've encountered over the past 14K miles, the M6 in particular.

This forum really ought to be welcoming to anyone who owns or even just has an interest in Tesla, particularly new members who are joining our cause to decarbonise transport.

Go look at the Facebook Tesla Owners Group UK if you want to see how unfriendly a community can be if it's allows to become elitist, or at least was a year ago.

This thread has got more than a little bit nasty at times. I've ignored much of the insulting stuff aimed at my particular concerns, some even suggesting that, as Tesla have chosen to change my car radically for the worse since I bought it in 2019, I should buy something else, the inference being that these changes were not Tesla's fault, but mine for buying the car in the first place.

@VanillaAir_UK is right in essence, length of time that someone has owned a car is a valid measure of how much experience they may have with both the plus and minus points of ownership. Someone that's not yet encountered a serious phantom braking event, not yet had the car swerve across the road from a spurious sensing issue, not yet had the auto wipers throw a wobbly, not yet had the auto headlights do the same, not yet had the screen go black after an update, or had a problem that's needed them to reboot the car, or turn it off, get out, lock the doors, wait, then unlock it, just to get it back to life, probably isn't yet in a good position to give a balanced judgement, let alone suggest that someone that's owned a Tesla for much longer should go and buy something else.

We are all different, we come in different shapes and sizes, have different eyesight, live in different areas and drive on different types of roads. For some, AP not functioning at all well will be a major concern, for me it's not, as it's not designed to work on the majority of the roads I use. TACC having major failings, like random emergency braking, may not be an issue, for others that are used to relying on cruise control it's a very serious failing. For some, having the speed display shift on the screen and get a lot smaller may not matter, for others it may make the display unusable.

Perhaps a little more understanding that different people, in different areas, will place more or less priority on faults and defects, but that that does not make any of their views invalid. Tolerance is always a good attribute, perhaps one or two should have a think about just how tolerant they are of issues that others may be having.

Wish list:
  • TACC follow distance feels way too close to me, always on setting 7 and still feels too close esp. at higher speeds. Possibly a limit of the radar?
  • Adjust wiper speed with left scroll wheel after pressing wiper button stalk for as long as controls are on screen
  • Keep music controls at the bottom of the screen when sliding the media view up to half/full screen
  • Scroll music tracks so playing track is always visible plus a couple of tracks beneath it
  • Close controls on right side (even as a leftie this makes sense)
  • UI settings - more options please - font sizes, speed location, turn off massive visualisation waste of space etc.
  • Speed cameras - put them on the map and warn of them - my crappy old Nissan from 2012 does this (cue much talk about the legalities of this but surely if the camera is positioned to help with reducing accidents - the speed awareness claim - then warning me in the car is a good thing? What, you mean this is all bollix and it's actually a cash generating scheme, surely not ;))
  • Unlock the charge cable when car is not charging and unlocked (there are explanations for situations why this doesn't work which I accept but other cars do it)
  • Change the TACC/FSD drive D indication so it's not blue and makes me think headlights are on full beam. Maybe the fact the car is driving itself, I turned it on, the steering wheel icon is blue, the set speed is blue is enough of a clue?:D
  • Turn on the ped warning speaker functions even if you don't have one fitted, they are easy to add...
  • Voice controls to work without a mobile signal - think they may do stateside
  • Voice controls to understand English rather than American. I'm tired of faking a very poor Americaaaan accent to get it to sometimes understand what I'm asking
  • Option to disable supercharging pre-heat
I will add that the list has reduced, Tesla are improving and it's easy to forget/not know the changes. In the short time I've had the car one pedal driving, Spotify, Sentry Mode viewer, Power Increase have all happened. For those unaware this is interesting log of changes: Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope
ps Love the car, best I've owned by a very large margin and I'm past 1/2 century...

Reactions: Beady3647
Straight up contradiction. Also you don't know how long the other poster has had a Model 3 or how many miles they have done (surely matters more),

Actually I do know when they collected their Model 3 - last Friday if you never spotted it in an earlier post of theirs. And yes, I knew this before I posted and hence why I phrased things as I did. Maybe I should have put an emoji on the end to make it clearer.

And no contradiction there. You are reading something into these posts that are not there other than a touch of irony. You seem to making something out of nothing almost as if you have a particular agenda?

If the OP has an issue with my comment then I am sure they can contact me privately and say so.